| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Emmons D10 value
Tim Collins

Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2023 7:30 pm    

I bought this instrument in the late 1980s with the intention of learning to play it. I play six-string and have always loved the sound of pedal steel. After 30+ years and several short-lived attempts, I think it's time to pass it on to someone who will give it the attention and exposure it deserves. However, I need help in determining a fair asking price. As indicated in the attached photo, the serial number is 1020 D. I think that might date it to the mid-late 1960s but am not sure. I've never strung the C6 neck, but the E9 neck functions well in my less than expert opinion. My failure to learn it is mine alone and not due to any shortcomings of the instrument.

I would greatly appreciate any guidance you can provide. Thanks.

Dave Magram

San Jose, California, USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2023 9:04 pm    

Hi Tim,

Based on the list of Emmons guitar serial numbers that I found on the SGF years ago, a serial number of 1020-D would place it in late 1965 or early 1966, since the first serial number on the list is 1024-D in 1966.

Yours appears to be a "bolt-on" which describes how the changer is attached to the body. It is my understanding that these guitars were produced for less than two years.

More information on the early Emmons guitar models can be found at: https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=3161402&sid=f7a2ff3aabb039944ba0a6ce7e58b8d2
I found Kelcey O'Neil's post to be particularly enlightening.

It looks like you may have a very prized Emmons push/pull guitar from an era when these guitars established for many players the gold standard for tone, and it looks to be in very good condition.

- Dave
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2023 11:50 pm    

Hi Tim, I am NOT the room expert on Push Pull Steels, but yours looks mighty fine. While its hard to see how many knee levers are on the guitar , that's an important detail to know and it goes along with pricing. It looks like it has 4 levers but you will need to confirm . as Dave states above, its a pretty desirable Steel .

My estimation, because you asked, based on current day pricing , would be in the $5500 to $6000 range ,as a mid 60's Push Pull D10 with 8 pedals , 4 knee levers , and a clean case. Others can feel free to suggest other views.

I would suggest stringing up the C6th because "people" want to see a complete functioning instrument . Additionally I would define if the E9th is set up Emmons or Day configuration , meaning what do the E9th ABC Pedals and levers do. This would be important to many as on a Push Pull , changing from one to the other is not quite as friendly as an ALL PULL guitar.

A fine instrument, good luck !

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Kelcey ONeil

Sevierville, TN
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2023 4:20 am    

That is indeed a 1967 Bolt On. The important stuff like the pickups appear original, even the case, but the fretboards have definitely been replaced. Not sure about the two tone mica, it is possible at least the front piece was replaced, but I've seen stranger things that were original(like Lilac purple!).

The lever hardware is home-made, and will probably need replaced to work as well as it should, just from the pics I can see some things that won't work properly. Overall, it is a very nice guitar and $5-6k is in the ballpark as is, and even more were it set up properly.