| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Emmons S-10
Bob Guichard

Central Texas, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2023 9:57 am    

Recently I took a Emmons S-10 6&0 in trade. Obviously built as a C-6 guitar with no knee lever. The guitar appears to have been played very little. I am undecided about what to do with the guitar. Either remove three pedals and install four knee levers or leave the six pedals and install one or two knees and leave the C-6 tuning. Would appreciate any advice others would have in this situation. I am not a C-6 player but others may appreciate a dedicated C-6 guitar.
Thanks
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2023 12:50 pm    

A lot depends on how much you have into the guitar, and how much you like it.. An S10 Emmons PP guitar is a desirable instrument, and you might get something better suited to your needs as a straight up swap..
You also have the makings of a loaded s10.. maybe you could leave 4 or even 5 pedals on and still install 4 levers.. Emmons experts might have to be consulted to see how much you can fit into that frame.. If I had it here, I'd leave it as is and see what someone would swap me for it straight across.. As stated, a lot depends on what you have into it and what you feel you need to get out of it... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2023 5:14 pm    

Bob
Per Mr. Carlucci's recommendation, you can most probably add 5 knee levers to that guitar while keeping the 6 pedals.

I have a 60's PP S10 with 6 pedals and 4 knee levers and there's room enough for a vertical lever if you're considering an upgrade of that type.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2023 7:23 pm    

single neck C6 Emmons push-pulls are rare indeed. it would be great to see it stay that way and add some levers as well. I'd be interested in such a guitar.

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2023 6:38 am    

Emmons S-10 pro model came with 6 pedals and no knee levers in the late 60s, early 70s, unless the buyer specified a different setup. And as far as I know, they were factory tuned to E9. The catalog doesn't specify the tuning. I've seen two or three of these S-10s in past years, E9 6x0.

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2023 7:09 am    

I'm thinking those were marketed by Montgomery Ward and everyone I've seen sounds great! I use 3 of the pedal mechanisms for knee levers when modifying them and they were E9.
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2023 11:13 am    

I bought one back in the early days of eBay for about $600. I had Tommy Cass convert it to 3x4.
Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2023 5:01 am    

I paid $600 for my first one in Biloxi,MS in '76...a blonde maple one with 6+1...it was set up
E9...

I moved to Nashville in '77 played that little guitar just like it was till'82,when I got a rosewood one with 3+4...

You can make a living on a steel guitar with 3+1!

PP S10...my favorite!Maybe because of Ben Keith...

SH
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2023 1:17 pm    

Herb Steiner wrote:
Bob
Per Mr. Carlucci's recommendation, you can most probably add 5 knee levers to that guitar while keeping the 6 pedals.

I have a 60's PP S10 with 6 pedals and 4 knee levers and there's room enough for a vertical lever if you're considering an upgrade of that type.

Tyats more than enough for anyone on a single neck 10.. So if the OP wants he can load that thing to the max... Not sure what he wants or can use, but if he wants to trade, he'll do very well I'm sure, as there are not too many dedicated C6 s10 guitars out there, and an original Emmons P/P C6??. Hens teeth..
If I had that guitar, I would add 4 knees and be VERY happy with it... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
Leon Champion

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2023 3:31 pm     Emmons

My first steel was a 1966 Emmons , 6 floor pedals o knee leavers E/9 . Traded a 1964 Gibson 330 in on it. WISH I ,still had both, I still have my 1964 Fender Band Master amp.
Eric Philippsen

Central Florida USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2023 3:59 pm    

I’ve had 3-4 early 6-pedal S10 Emmons. All came as E9th. Converted them to 3+4.
Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2023 4:05 pm    

I had one with 6+2 which was originally E9 and I had a friend convert to C6. Kinda confirmed I’m not a push-pull guy, though I occasionally wish I’d persisted.

It became E9 3+4 at its next stop along the way.