Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2023 1:07 pm    

Just uploaded to YouTube.

----> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ya9zRgeVRHc

Last edited by Doug Beaumier on 1 Sep 2023 8:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Andrew Roblin

Various places
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2023 1:28 pm    

Great! I love your taste and restraint, Doug.
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2023 8:45 pm    

Thanks Andrew.

A note about the tuning:

I'm playing E6 (low octave)

B
G#
E
C#
B
G#
E

I put thicker strings on the guitar for this tuning. I wanted to play the tune in the same key and octave as Duane Eddy.

It's the same intervals as the (7-string) C6 tuning I normally use:

G
E
C
A
G
E
C

5th
3rd
root
6th
5th
3rd
root
Joe Krumel

Hermitage, Tn.
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2023 5:13 am    

What a cool sound. Man that is one sweet guitar. You hit a home run over the center field fence!
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2023 5:38 am    

Thanks Joe!
Gary Spaeth

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2023 4:57 am    

put a big like on it. #567
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2023 5:16 am    

Yeah Gary! Smile đź‘Ť
manny escobar

portsmouth,r.i. usa
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2023 6:02 am    

Hi Doug, Nice job. You don`t have to tell me but, how many tunings are you capable of playing?
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2023 6:58 am    

Hi Manny, I don’t know, but probably any tuning if I spend some time with it, figuring out where the chords are and some of the licks are. Smile
Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2023 8:22 am    

You can't get any cooler than this. A Duane Eddy classic done on lapsteel with Doug getting the fat tones. Great looking guitar.
Bob Shilling

Berkeley, CA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2023 8:39 am    

That's great! Love that sound.

Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2023 8:45 am    

Just really good all around.

OT...I'd be interested in how you were able to grow your YT channel to where it is today. I'm just shy of 20k subs but it's slow going.
I think my videos jump around too much where you just stick to performances of slide playing. Your subscribers know what they're going to get and don't get a dog or cat video thrown at them, from out of left field.

Do you see your other sources...books etc.. help support the channel...or more the other way around?

Kudos to your fine playing and YouTube travels.
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2023 9:50 am    

Thanks all! Smile

Chris, the real growth comes from YT recommendations and the algorhythm expanding on the recommendations. I have never asked anyone to subscribe to my channel and I've never said a word on my videos, yet I'm averaging 25,000 views a day and it's been that way for the past five years. I can't explain why, but I think one commenter may have nailed it ..."you get right to playing... no 8 minutes of bullshitting around and bragging about your gear" LOL
The number of Shares is important too. I get about 1200 shares per week. And Playlists are another factor. Thousands of people have my videos in their youtube playlist and that bumps up the views considerably. Having good quality audio is also important. I see a lot of very good steel guitarists on YT and Instagram who Should have more views, but their audio is not good.

I think my channel has helped my book sales somewhat, but not as much as you'd expect. And there is very little crossover from my Instagram page to YT, as far as I can tell.
80% of my YT viewers are over 55 years of age, according to my stats page. And many of them are over age 65. Instagram is mostly younger folks. So my videos appeal to seniors. And I can tell by the comments that the vast majority of my viewers are not musicians. I doubt that even 2% are steel guitarists. They are regular folks, older, who want to hear melodies that they can relate to.
Jack Stanton

Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2023 10:00 am    

Doug,
Big fun, as always! Thanks!
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2023 10:54 am    

Thanks for checking it out, Jack!
Chris Harwood

Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2023 12:09 pm    

Thanks Doug,
I think YT is MUCH better than the other platforms, because older videos will still help the channel, where as you say, Instagram, etc are for younger viewers and the "viral" video quickly fades out of sight. YT, the videos can just hang around forever.

I have a couple videos that are several years old and doing just as well, if not better, than the week they were posted.
I agree about the YT recommendations and all that. My stats reveal enough that when I get spikes, its typically because of Youtube and how they recommend it or put it as an "up next" video.

I'd like to add a "zero" on to all my numbers and stats and that would make a major difference for me. Even though my channel is much smaller, it's like a second social security check, but I don't rely on it for sure. My variety has hurt me, I can see that. I think it's just from trying to search out topics that I like to deal with, but yet, make it worthwhile for YouTube. When Adsense wasn't doing anything for my bank account, I wasn't too interested in that side of making videos...but a couple of "crazy" months, got my attention quickly!

But I think you are SPOT ON with your assessments. And yes...poor audio quality does seem to affect things unless you are super star or watching a live, iphone video of Vince Gill or whoever.
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2023 12:26 pm    

That’s a good point about the “staying power” of videos on YouTube. My most popular videos are three to seven years old. Still trying to figure out exactly what it is that appeals to people. There’s no easy answer to that.