| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steel Scene in Knoxville, TN
Don Mogle

Round Rock, TX, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2023 7:59 pm    

Can anyone in the Tennessee area tell me what the steel scene is like in Knoxville?

Thanks...Don
Shaan Shirazi

Austin, TX, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2023 6:54 am     Knoxville

I don't know about the steel scene but Roger Wallace just moved back there so there is at least one elite Honky Tonk singer in town looking for a band.
Don Mogle

Round Rock, TX, USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2023 7:53 pm    

Thanks Shawn.
scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2023 7:50 am    

hi Don-
I'm in Asheville NC. don't get over to Knoxville much but I know a couple steelers over there, namely Brock Henderson who seems to stay quite busy. I attended a steel show over there a few years ago (pre-Covid) at a music store called Open Chord. they were planning to do it twice a year but I'm not sure what the status is.

gone are the days of Stoney Stonecipher's Smoky Mountain Jamboree unfortunately but with Gatlinburg/Dollywood nearby and Emmons headquarters in Pigeon Forge there is definitely a steel scene of some kind in that area

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2023 5:09 pm    

I don't know the current scene because I was hired away to my career as a recording engineer/producer but that is my hometown. Forty years ago it was afloat it country music and Old Tyme music and Chet Atkins' weekend home was nearby in Sneedville, so there was plenty going on. I miss it.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (My Little Website)
Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2023 5:27 pm    

scott murray wrote:
hi Don-
I'm in Asheville NC. don't get over to Knoxville much but I know a couple steelers over there, namely Brock Henderson who seems to stay quite busy. I attended a steel show over there a few years ago (pre-Covid) at a music store called Open Chord. they were planning to do it twice a year but I'm not sure what the status is.

gone are the days of Stoney Stonecipher's Smoky Mountain Jamboree unfortunately but with Gatlinburg/Dollywood nearby and Emmons headquarters in Pigeon Forge there is definitely a steel scene of some kind in that area

Stoney was the man who got me into playing steel-I first met him when he played steel at Dollywood with a few of Dolly's family members in 1998, and although I didn't go to the Smoky Mountain Steel Guitar Jamboree that he had, I did go to the next version of it called the Choo Choo City Steel Guitar Reunion, which was in Chattanooga, Tennessee at the Chattanooga Choo Choo hotel-it ran from '01 to about '04. When you go to Emmons Guitar Company in Sevierville, steel guitarist Junior Mercer works there, along with Darin and Amanda Shiflett and there's another man who works there named Kaleb Wright.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2023 6:01 pm    

Loved Stoneys Smoky Mountain Jamboree and attended it till it ended. Those were the days. I haven't been back since. I would love to see something like that started up again.