| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Question about the E9th, 2nd string, half stop lower.
Michael J Pfeifer

New York NY 10036
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2023 12:13 pm    

Dear Forum members:

On an all-pull changer, will changing the amount of tension on the return spring that returns the finger change the pitch of the half-stop?

Thanking you in advance.

Michael
Pat Chong

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2023 3:01 pm     Half stop tuning.

Hi Michael,

The "return spring" returns it to pitch after you release the lever, and would not "tune" the half stop, properly. Loosening the return spring could mess up your tuning on that string, too.

The half stop works in that AT the half stop, you are just starting to feel another string engage (string 9). That's why this is also referred to as a "feel stop". Sometimes the half stop is tunable, sometimes not.

Show a pic of the half stop and a better answer can be given.
........Pat.
Michael J Pfeifer

New York NY 10036
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2023 4:49 pm     Topic: Question about the E9th, 2nd string, half stop lower

Hi, Pat.

Thank you so much, but I do not understand your answer. Maybe I didn't make myself clear. The half stop is a D note. If the tension on the return spring is changed, will the D note go sharp or flat? Thank you.
Pat Chong

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2023 9:07 pm    

Hi Michael,

Putting it another way, you don't tune your half stop by adjusting your return spring, it's not done that way. Sometimes there IS NO adjustment, and you just need to work with what you have.

I have to work with it, myself. I have a Dekley pedal steel, there is no adjustment for tuning my half stop, but it is close enough in tune that I don't worry about it.

There may be ways to tune the half stop, and you might have it. But that goes back to my asking for a pic of your system so someone can give you an answer.

I guess the question to ask is what has happened that makes you tbink it needs tuning?

Hope this helps, we can work on it.....Pat.
Michael J Pfeifer

New York NY 10036
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2023 2:46 am     Question about the E9th, 2nd string, half stop lower.

Pat,

Thank you. I was hoping to keep it simple,but steel guitar problems get complicated. After having the factory release some tension, the finger was not returning all the way,so I tightened the spring and loosened it again. This was the original problem. A picture will not reveal anything. So the question still remains. Thanks again.
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2023 5:10 am    

That spring has nothing to do with the half stop. It is to bring the string back to open pitch after lowering it. It also has to be tight enough to hold the lowering finger to keep it from activating when raising a string. Half stops are tuned either using a physical half stop mechanism such as what Sho-Bud and Mullen uses, or by using another string pull as the half stop. Dekley doesn't have the physical half stop under the guitar and typically uses the 9th string lower (to C#) to provide the resistance for the D note on the 2nd string. You tune the 9th string nylon tuner to hit the finger when the 2nd string gets to a D.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Michael J Pfeifer

New York NY 10036
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2023 7:09 am     opic: Question about the E9th, 2nd string, half stop lower.

Richard,

Thank you.  I think you answered my question. Next question: If the finger is not returning all the way after being lowered, may I tighten the spring and be sure the half-stop D note won't change?

P.S.
Thanks again, Pat
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2023 11:16 am     Re: opic: Question about the E9th, 2nd string, half...

Michael J Pfeifer wrote:
Richard,

Thank you.  I think you answered my question. Next question: If the finger is not returning all the way after being lowered, may I tighten the spring and be sure the half-stop D note won't change?

P.S.
Thanks again, Pat

Yes. Make sure it is tight enough but not too tight. Too tight and the lever will be harder to push.

And if the feel stop is not firm enough, you can tighten the 9th string's spring to increase tension. It will make the last half the 2nd string lower C# a little harder, but will make the D note easier to stop at.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Michael J Pfeifer

New York NY 10036
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2023 12:29 pm     opic: Question about the E9th, 2nd string, half stop lower.

Richard,

Thanks a million. Before I posted here, I tightened and loosened and it seems to be okay. Now that you answered my questions, I'm more confident about playing in public. Care to share your email address?
Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2023 2:47 pm    

Looks like you have good advice here already. Just to be clear, the return spring has no effect on string tension thus does not affect tuning.
Michael J Pfeifer

New York NY 10036
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2023 2:35 am     Question about the E9th, 2nd string, half stop lower.

Dave,
Thank you.