| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Cutting threads on pedal rods
Eric Philippsen

Central Florida USA
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2023 12:45 pm    

I had to cut down 3 rods to fit an MSA Red Baron. (Long story) Cutting was easy but putting 10/32 threads on them isn’t. They are stainless steel and using a regular die definitely doesn’t work.

So, I thought I’d take them to a machine shop. Expensive at $90 each! All I want is each rod to have maybe an inch of 10/32 in order to screw on the pedal connectors.

Suggestions? Thanks.
Norman Evans

Tennessee
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2023 1:17 pm    

https://www.amazon.com/Tap-Magic-30004P-ProTap-Cutting/dp/B00065VEP4/ref=sr_1_4?crid=2MGCUKNM9YY32&keywords=tap%2Bmagic%2Bcutting%2Bfluid&qid=1692652291&s=industrial&sprefix=tap%2Bmagic%2Cindustrial%2C201&sr=1-4&th=1
I used this cutting fluid over 40 years in machine shop. Cut a good chamfer on the end so you can get the die started, it should cut it just fine. I've cut a lot of them on stainless.
Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2023 6:53 pm    

Many pedal rods are made with rolled threads. Check them closely. Rolled threads are larger diameter than many die cut threads. Half the thread is rolled down into the rod, And about half the thread is raised above the diameter of the rod.

If you can find an adjustable die open it up and cut threads as large as the die will cut. Cut a bevel on the end of the rod, And use a good threading oil, Cut thread about 1/2" and check for fit in the hole on the pedal connector. Make sure it fits proper before finishing thread.

With Roll threaded rods, It is better to cut the hook off to shorten the rod, Then bend a new hook on the rod. IT IS TO LATE FOR THAT ON THESE RODS.

Good luck in this project, Happy Steelin.
Norman Evans

Tennessee
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2023 4:44 am    

What Bobby said...
https://www.mcmaster.com/products/~/?s=adjustable+threading+die