| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How to measure sustain
JB Bobbitt

California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2023 1:49 pm    

Right now I run my lap steel into a Spark Amp, then out through the USB into my desktop, where I fiddle around in Audacity (awesome free program) and WavePad.

Is there a standard way to measure the sustain/decay of a single plucked string? Are there defined values for "long" sustain?

I assume a measurement would be based on the time it takes for the signal to decay from the maximum to an established lower benchmark, or more likely, for the signal to decay to a certain percentage of the maximum.

Thanks a heap,
Marco Schouten

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2023 2:00 pm    

Just pick a string, and watch the second hand of your watch. I would say that 20 seconds is sort of ok. 25 seconds is good. It's not a measure of how good your guitar sounds, it just play a bit easier with a good sustain.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2023 12:19 pm     Re: How to measure sustain

JB Bobbitt wrote:

Is there a standard way to measure the sustain/decay of a single plucked string? Are there defined values for "long" sustain? I assume a measurement would be based on the time it takes for the signal to decay from the maximum to an established lower benchmark, or more likely, for the signal to decay to a certain percentage of the maximum.

I’m a practical sort of guy. I don’t worry about technical measurements when it comes to sound (tone, sustain, and tuning). I let my ears be the judge because, well, because ears are all that matters. That’s how musicians and listeners judge everything that falls under the heading of “sound”. If it sounds good, it is good. Now, with that said, I did once do my own investigation into this issue of “sustain” that seems to concern a lot of players. I listened to an Emmons’ song called “Blue Jade”, a song that offers good examples of sustained notes and chords. The longest (time-wise) sustained phrase in that song is only 7 or 8 seconds long, and most every guitar I have ever played can easily sustain a note or chord for twice that amount of time, provided a volume pedal and proper technique are used. I therefore came to the conclusion that any particular guitars sustain was not really something I should dwell over. They are all quite acceptable, to me anyway.

Your own reasoning and opinion may well be different, and that’s okay. I have no business telling people what they should worry about. I only suggest there are some things that may not worth worrying about. Winking

The moral of the story is…Find one you like, and just play it! Mr. Green

(Edited for spelling.)

Last edited by Donny Hinson on 14 Aug 2023 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2023 1:34 pm    

Number one test! Pluck a string, walk to the bathroom and go number one. If you can still hear the note when you get back all is very good. If it meets the number two test, never sell the guitar.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Revelation preamp, Carbon Copy Delay and Hall Of Fame Reverb, Crown XLS 1002, 2- 12" Eminence BP 122 speakers, ShoBud Pedal, Effects Pedals. 1949 Epiphone D-8.
Steven Pearce

Port Orchard Washington, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2023 5:24 pm    

I’m no pro, but my beginners sense, and my band, tells me sustain is great until the chord changes. I Guess I could just hold that G…but they switched up and the song had a couple D’s and C’s in there.
(The band thought I fell asleep)

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2023 9:58 pm    

Using some Metering Instrument would be the most accurate.

They are 2 things to consider when sustain is discussed. First the actual sustain of the guitar is 1st thing to consider, Then Volume pedal control is the 2nd thing in the figuring the sustain of sound from each guitar and person playing it. And any add on effects like Delay or Doubling Units.
A guitar with a lot of sustain is a great instrument to play, Especially on certain songs.

But you have to learn quickly how to control the sustain, And use it properly. Either by some type of note blocking or by proper use of the volume pedal. On slow songs it seems a mix of note blocking and volume pedal control works best, For me. On fast songs some type note blocking gives you better control.
Ivan Funk

Hamburg Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2023 4:39 am    

This explains it pretty well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrhJv4KplU4