| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Best amplifier for steel playing
James Taylor

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2023 12:59 pm    

What do steel players think is the best amp for pedal steel playing the Peavy or Fender? Does the cheaper end of these makes have a similar tone?

Thanking you all for the answers.

James Taylor Scotland
Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2023 1:55 pm    

Neither is necessary or magical in any way. If you are not planning on spending a bunch of money go ahead and try out whatever amps are available in your area. Make sure it is loud enough to cover your needs. If the amp doesn't have reverb you can buy reverb stomp boxes that are awesome for pretty cheap these days. Allot of guys will tell you you need to have a 15" speaker or tons of clean headroom but that is a matter of taste and depends on your playing situation.

I see working steel players in Texas all the time and there is no standard amp that works for everybody anymore.

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2023 2:15 pm    

Cheaper sounds cheaper no matter what the mark. Easy that one.

Your other question is problematic, in that you ask for a "best" between only two makers, each of which produce both truly excellent and completely atrocious models as regards their use for the the pedal steel guitar. The issue is further complicated by the differences in speakers available.

I have an old K130-wielding Fender 40 watt amp at home but I have been known to specify a Peavey NV 400, Session 400, or Session 500 for backline contractors, as well as BF or SF Fender Twin Reverbs. If any one of these has good Peavey BW or JBL speakers, works properly, and has a sweet reverb tank, we are golden.

However I imagine a great number of steelers play neither of these brands, I'm taking a Webb 6-14e to work, several friends are using Evans amps. Both Randall and Standel produced outstanding and popular amps in the past that are still in use, and Quilter and Milkman are among the new builds that are being well received.

Not to mention dedicated rack systems...

Not to discourage or disparage, you're in the right place to find answers to questions you haven't thought of yet 😎

Happy picking, I leave you to the next respondents...
Nick Levine

Los Angeles, CA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2023 2:43 pm    

I got a Nashville 400 after seeing it as such a standard and ended up not liking it at all. Played through a hot rod deville of all amps last night on the clean channel and thought it was great. The other steel player at the gig used a Princeton, which most people would probably tell you is too low power for steel, but works great for him. All of this is to say, YMMV, there's no one right answer for everyone's setup and you'll just have to try stuff out to see what works for you. Have fun with it.
Michael Sawyer

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2023 3:24 pm    

I gig with a Quilter TT12.
Before that it was a Fender DeVille 212.
I rehearse at the band room with a Fender Champion 100.
I keep a Fender Champion 20 settin out at home for practice.
If it tickles your ears and fits your budget,use it.
Chris Templeton

The Green Mountain State
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2023 4:19 pm    

Buddy favored the Peavey Session 500. He really liked the phase shifter.
I have a nice 4 track version @ Jeffran, of "You Are So Beautiful". with it.

Last edited by Chris Templeton on 11 Aug 2023 4:11 am; edited 1 time in total
GaryL

Medina, OH USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2023 6:32 pm     Amp for steel

Quilter Travis Toy 15" or a Steelaire, if you can find one. I've had the rest and the rest, and they will not do.
Karl Paulsen

Chicago
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2023 3:44 am     Re: Best amplifier for steel playing

James Taylor wrote:
What do steel players think is the best amp for pedal steel playing the Peavy or Fender? Does the cheaper end of these makes have a similar tone?

Thanking you all for the answers.

James Taylor Scotland

I think the overall consensus would be that neither of those companies is making the best steel amp today, but both make or have made good ones.

The forum vibe seems to be that Milkman, Quilter and Telonics currently make the best steel amps, but their prices also reflect this.

As for the cheaper end of things, the Peavey Nashville 112 is the cheapest production steel amp today and I'd recommend it over any Fender at that price or lower.

I assume the market is sparser over there, but used Peavey steel amps seem to be the budget choice over here in the: 250-400 range. If that's your budget, that's what I'd do. However, as others have implied, if $ is even tighter, then playing your way through your local market may be the best way to find something you like in the wide world of regular guitar amps, and don't forget bass amps. I've got a nearly new Fender Rumble 100 I bought locally for $100. Sounds great for steel and it's only 22 pounds!

Personally, for playing steel I've got a cobbled together Peavey Nashville substitute (Reno with Jazz Classic cab and BW and a MOD rev tank) that lives where I rehearse. I have less than $200 invested, it sounds great and I'd happily gig it. However my Milkman Half and Half is in a whole other league and sounds like pure heaven.

Chicago Valley Railroad. Trainspotting and Bargain Hunting...
https://chicagovalleyrailroad.blogspot.com/
Malcolm McMaster

Beith Ayrshire Scotland
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2023 8:40 am    

James, are you thinking of moving off your Roland Cube? The majority of players over here use Peavey either Nashville 400 or Nashville 112, some use Fender twin or similar, Webb, or some of the Quilter range. Or Telonics. To answer your question, Peavey and Fender are different beasts, it is a matter of personal choice as to which you prefer.
I know there are not a lot of players up in your neck of the woods, but you could always try YouTube to listen to any particular player you like and have a listen to their sound and have a look at what they are playing through.
Any good quality amp should give you a reasonable sound, a friend has used a 400, a 112, a small Fender amp and a katana recently, and to be honest he sounded the Same through them all, I believe a great deal of the tone comes from the hands and style of playing. Regards.
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.
Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2023 10:13 am    

There are a fair number of players who use Fender amps. I schlepped a Twin Reverb for almost 20 years. Even though it was heavy it was the sound that inspired me. The last few years I have found that a Deluxe Reverb is enough amp for my lower to mid volume shows. I imagine there are plenty of them around the UK. If you have access, try one out. It will give you a good idea of the Fender sound for steel guitar.
James Taylor

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2023 12:54 pm     Pedal steel amps

Hi everyone,
Thank you all for your input and also my old friend Malcolm.
It was my wife who asked me what I wanted for my birthday and she got two expensive indoor cats for hers I thought I would be a bit adventurous and bite the bud and demand something that would create the sound of some of the steelies I have listened to.
Yes, just as Malcolm says I have a Roland Tube and it is quite good too. Perhaps I should be satisfied with it as it is a reasonably good amp. I am 83 and got my pedal steel imported from the USA a few years ago; a Zum Steel Encore. Best Wishes to all JAMES TAYLOR
Philip Mitrakos

The Beach South East Florida
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2023 1:13 pm    

Last edited by Philip Mitrakos on 10 Nov 2023 9:07 am; edited 2 times in total
James Taylor

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2023 11:39 pm     Best amplifier for steel playing

Hi Philip, Thank you for your advice. I am doing my best to soak in all that has been said and will meditate on all this wonderful information.

Best wishes to everyone and many thanks too.

JAMES TAYLOR SCOTLND- way up in the backwoods!
Karl Paulsen

Chicago
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2023 7:45 am    

I don't know what the used market is like for steel amps in the UK, but here's a dealer who it appears will import Peavey.
https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/peavey-nashville-112-steel-amp

If you've already got a Cube and you want to make an investment in your amp, get a dedicated steel guitar amp.

Chicago Valley Railroad. Trainspotting and Bargain Hunting...
https://chicagovalleyrailroad.blogspot.com/