| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Palmer Acoustic Pocket Amp?
Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2023 6:24 am    

I stumbled across these little preamp pedals and I really love all the features and small footprint. I have a Quilter Superblock and other various amps, but I don't have anything for my acoustic instruments. I am wondering if this could possibly be a more versatile solution than the Superblock. It has a magnetic pickup setting and I could use Fenderish preamp pedal (Joyo American?) along with this for my electric instruments. Any experience with these Pocket amps? They seem to have really great reviews, but not really that well known.
https://www.palmer-germany.com/en/products/guitar-amplifiers/18424/pocket-amp-acoustic
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2023 6:52 am    

Looks interesting.
Erv
Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2023 11:51 am    

I have one and it's a nice little preamp with headphones out, aux in and good eq options. What it won't do is drive a speaker. The Super block is an amp capable of driving a speaker cabinet at about 25 watts. All depends on what you need. The Palmer needs a power amp or PA to project sound other than the headphones.
Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2023 12:24 pm    

Larry Dering wrote:
I have one and it's a nice little preamp with headphones out, aux in and good eq options. What it won't do is drive a speaker. The Super block is an amp capable of driving a speaker cabinet at about 25 watts. All depends on what you need. The Palmer needs a power amp or PA to project sound other than the headphones.

You have the acoustic model? If so have you tried it with steel or electric guitar on the magnetic pickup setting? I did find one review of a guy who uses the acoustic version for electric bass on the bass setting and says it works well for clean playing. I really don't need the power amp from the Superblock and am more interested in the clean preamp function. If I want a little dirt I have a pedal for that. I also have an extra little TPA3118 board I plan on putting in a small enclosure with a buffer and master volume that I could use to drive a speaker with this or any preamp. This preamp seems more comparable to the Fishman, Baggs or other high end preamps, for about half the cost.
Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2023 12:49 pm    

Tim, I really used it for my acoustic guitar but I did try it for steel as a headphone amp and it was clean and nice. The Aux input is handy for playing with tracks. My goal was in looking for a sweet preamp I could leg mount on my steel and have more tone control. I didn't try running pedals through it so can't speak for that. For whatever reason I didn't use it like I suggested and found that a small mixer gives me more flexibility plus headphone control. I rarely play using phones but wanted that option. I don't recall using a Telecaster with it. My thoughts are that it's a great little box with a load of options and a direct out. It's even battery powered if you choose. And yes mine is the acoustic model as you put a link for. I was chasing a acoustic tone for my Taylor 814ce.
Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2023 12:59 pm    

I should admit that I also have the Fishman Aura Spectrum, the LR Baggs Venue, The Baggs Para DI, And now the Joyo Preamp House pedal. A couple of Line 6 Rack units and Pods, and way too much other gear in a endless search for various tone improvements. But I play pedal steel, Electric and acoustic guitar and a couple other instruments. Some of those pieces of gear was aimed at those instruments.
Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2023 2:46 pm    

Larry Dering wrote:
Tim, I really used it for my acoustic guitar but I did try it for steel as a headphone amp and it was clean and nice. The Aux input is handy for playing with tracks. My goal was in looking for a sweet preamp I could leg mount on my steel and have more tone control. I didn't try running pedals through it so can't speak for that. For whatever reason I didn't use it like I suggested and found that a small mixer gives me more flexibility plus headphone control. I rarely play using phones but wanted that option. I don't recall using a Telecaster with it. My thoughts are that it's a great little box with a load of options and a direct out. It's even battery powered if you choose. And yes mine is the acoustic model as you put a link for. I was chasing an acoustic tone for my Taylor 814ce.

Thanks for the detailed response! I think I will order it. Mostly I want it for acoustic guitar, but it does seem like it might work as kind of a Swiss Army amp for recording and the kind of tiny gigs I might do.
Larry Dering wrote:
I should admit that I also have the Fishman Aura Spectrum, the LR Baggs Venue, The Baggs Para DI, And now the Joyo Preamp House pedal. A couple of Line 6 Rack units and Pods, and way too much other gear in a endless search for various tone improvements. But I play pedal steel, Electric and acoustic guitar and a couple other instruments. Some of those pieces of gear was aimed at those instruments.

First step is admitting it Very Happy. Thats quite a list of gear! I keep looking for more gear that will allow me to get rid of some, but I just keep getting more and more. Minimalism is tough for musicians.....
Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2023 2:00 pm    

My problem exactly. My intention was to get better tone and market the stuff that I don't need. Well the sell off hasn't arrived. So the gear gets older and less valuable so it's hardly worth selling. What has happened is better technology keeps us buying things that's smaller and lighter and the old heavy stuff collected dust.
Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2023 2:19 pm    

Larry Dering wrote:
My problem exactly. My intention was to get better tone and market the stuff that I don't need. Well the sell off hasn't arrived. So the gear gets older and less valuable so it's hardly worth selling. What has happened is better technology keeps us buying things that's smaller and lighter and the old heavy stuff collected dust.

I ordered the Palmer. I figure I need an acoustic preamp of some kind and this thing looks pretty versatile. It will be fun to tinker with regardless. If I can get a good clean with my archtop and steel guitar, and the Palmer will take a dirt pedal, the Quilter is going on Reverb. I have sold a bunch of stuff on there, even stuff I thought was junk. Old wall art instruments etc. If priced reasonably, stuff usually sells in a few days. There is always someone who wants it. Better to get something for it than let it sit around. Thanks again!
Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2023 5:57 pm    

I hope it gets you what you want. For sure it's a decent acoustic preamp with nice features.
Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2023 9:45 am     Here's mine in action

Be aware that the red light needs to be on for the pedals processed signal. When green it's in bypass. I had it off to snap the picture.
Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2023 4:31 am     Re: Here's mine in action

Larry Dering wrote:

Be aware that the red light needs to be on for the pedals processed signal. When green it's in bypass. I had it off to snap the picture.

Ok thanks Larry. I may have some other questions once I get it. I am pretty excited for this little guy!
Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2023 3:30 pm    

Be sure that you read the little manual that comes with it and keep it handy. A forum member contacted me and is buying my Palmer tomorrow. I won't have it handy to do any more experiments. Good luck. If I can help I will.
Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2023 9:09 am    

Oh boy new toy is here! I tried it out for about an hour, just twisting the nobs willy nilly. It is a keeper! I was unable to try it with an acoustic piezo guitar. I have a K&K I plan on installing in my Harmony jumbo, just haven't got around to it. I figure this is what it is designed for, so should be fine.

I was able to easily find some sweet spots using my archtop and steel guitar. Very nice clean tones! Gives tons of volume and resists feedback. I had no problems with feedback and didn't even engage the notch filter. ( Probably need this with a piezo I am guessing) Both have pickups I wound myself using neo magnets big wire and have a low impedance. I also tried it with my baritone tuned guitar with a sound hole hu bucker with the same positive results. I could get electric as well as acoustic sounds. This is an incredibly versatile EQ!

I used it through my homemade amp built around a 60W class D board. The preamp is based on and old Gibson from the 40's. The amp alone is very dark and doesn't really go bright. This pedal adds a big treble boost which I needed, no icepick either. With this preamp I could go from Fender type mid scooped bright sounds to super dark tones and everywhere in between. People with bright amps may not like this preamp.

It isn't really fair to compare it to the Quilter, but I was intending to build my pedalboard around this Superblock, but the Pocket amp is a much better match for my actual amp. It does everything my amp can't do and is less than 2/3 the size of the Quilter. Superblock is going on Reverb!
Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2023 9:14 am    

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2023 4:46 pm    

Tim, that's awesome. Glad it's what you needed. It is a handy little device with a lot packed in a small package. Continue with your experiments and keep us posted.
Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2023 6:18 am    

Larry Dering wrote:
Tim, that's awesome. Glad it's what you needed. It is a handy little device with a lot packed in a small package. Continue with your experiments and keep us posted.

Time will tell. My next experiment will be building another amp around the TPA 3118 or maybe a 3110 with a 5f2a type preamp in my auxiliary head cabinet. I plan on installing a full range 6x9 and possibly a tweeter on a switch so I can disengage it and change the ohms. The pre amp will have a bypass so I can run the pocket pedal into it for a small acoustic amp. Might even set up a 12v battery pack so it’s mobile.. hmmm just thinking out loud. These are simple circuits, cheap FUN projects!
I am a novice at this stuff, and kind of a reluctant electric player. I just love to tinker. I would still much rather play an acoustic instrument.

Last edited by Tim Toberer on 22 Aug 2023 7:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2023 6:21 am    

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2023 11:44 am    

My you have a vision. Good luck on your projects. It's always of interest. Thanks for sharing.
Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2023 5:32 pm    

Larry Dering wrote:
My you have a vision.

Just dumb enough to think my ideas might work!