| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Advice on purchasing a lap steel on line
Joe Burke

Toronto, Canada
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2023 7:58 am    

I’ve found a lap steel through Facebook that I’m interested. I’ve been chatting with the seller through messenger, and he seems cool. But there are so many scam stories. Any advice on finding out if someone is trustworthy?

I searched their name on the forum and nothing came up. And hardly anything on Facebook either.

Thanks!
Nick Fryer

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2023 8:51 am    

There are some red flags when it comes to how they want to receive payment. If they ask to pay through Venmo as a friend, that is unprotected and a big red flag for me. Also the pictures can reveal scams if you search for the same item on reverb or eBay and all of a sudden you see the same images but a different seller you know that the person is scamming you.

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2023 8:56 am    

IMO, meet them in person, exchange cash and the steel after you've had a reasonable chance to check out the steel. Period. Same goes for Craigslist. I would not send any money, any way, any how, to someone you can't get a very solid read on, especially on a venue that doesn't have built-in protection like reverb.com.
Matt Berg

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2023 9:30 am    

Dave Mudgett wrote:
IMO, meet them in person, exchange cash and the steel after you've had a reasonable chance to check out the steel. Period. Same goes for Craigslist. I would not send any money, any way, any how, to someone you can't get a very solid read on, especially on a venue that doesn't have built-in protection like reverb.com.

From what I'm seeing online, Reverb protection is only when you use their payment processing, otherwise you're in PayPal's world, also limitations on foreign seller deals...it's all quite complex.

Buying on the SGF seems to be a relatively safer way to go by comparison....
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2023 10:45 am    

Yeah, I think this forum is the best place to deal in steel guitars. BTW, I'm moving this thread to Steel Without Pedals. The For Sale sections are restricted to selling stuff on the forum. One should not conclude anything anybody says here is in any way a recommendation for any outside selling venues.

IMO, there's no absolute guarantee on any at-a-distance transaction. But anything I've gotten off reverb was paid via their paypal and the stated policy on every one of those was that they would cover anything 'not as described', regardless of whether the seller said 'no returns', or not. And I've had no problems, everything so far was as-described. But even there, caveat emptor is good advice.

I think facebook is OK if you're dealing with someone local and can do a face-to-face cash transaction. Same with Craigslist. But too often, when I reply about something and it's not someone I know, it's very clearly either a scammer or someone that I conclude is very sketchy.

IMO, caveat emptor is always good advice.
Sebastian Müller

Berlin / Germany
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2023 11:08 am    

Try to get the seller on the phone, if someone wants to rip you off they will avoid this. And you can check the vibe, only buy from nice people.

Toronto, Canada
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2023 5:57 pm    

Thanks for all advice. I decided that since we’re communicating through Facebook, I requested a Messenger video call so I could hear and see the lap steel. He said there’s a few others interested. I said I am still very interested. I’m waiting for a reply.
David DeLoach

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2023 2:18 am    

If it is an old/vintage steel, be sure to somehow listen to the steel being played - even if it is just a FaceTime or Zoom call where the seller slowly picks each string so that you can hear if the pickup works good across all the strings.

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2023 8:10 am    

David DeLoach wrote:
If it is an old/vintage steel, be sure to somehow listen to the steel being played - even if it is just a FaceTime or Zoom call where the seller slowly picks each string so that you can hear if the pickup works good across all the strings.

Yes, as a seller I've made videos with out being asked and linked to them.

Another recommendation that I saw was to have at least one picture with your name or something on a piece of paper on top of the instrument. Of course there's photoshop, but it helps establish that you took the photo of the instrument/amp that's in your possession, not some picture you ripped off the internet. As a buyer, you could use google lens to verify pictures to some extent as well.