| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New single “The Entertainer”
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2023 6:30 am    

I’ve been steadily releasing some tracks as singles and today I offer up “The Entertainer” by Scott Joplin. It can be streamed on all platforms. The Entertainer was published in 1902, the same year Sol Hoopii was born.

I enjoyed recording this and used a two amp setup: a JBL equipped Fender Bronco and a JC-40. Neither would be called desirable amps for steel and yet they are what give me the sounds I am looking for. The JBL gives that top end sparkle and the JC the right amount of low mids. I mic the amps with an AKG 414 and C1000s. This features the Sol Hoopii Rickenbacher, which has a distinct tone. I played it from top to bottom live in the recording process. I have to admit I find the Rickenbacher more difficult to play than my Clinesmiths. Maybe it’s the scale length, maybe the horseshoe pickup takes up valuable picking real estate—I haven’t been able to put my finger on it. But the tone is worth whatever struggles it takes.

I like to think of these recordings as the Dr.Jekyll side. Mr. Hyde (Steelonious) is busy putting together the other side, which I plan on recording with the band and releasing.

Lately I have been playing almost exclusively 6 string C6. In fact, I even removed the bottom two strings from my Clinesmith. It feels liberating in some ways to not feel the need to fill out of the low end or to comp chord changes. In this context I feel like 6 strings works better and I can just focus on the melodies and a little harmony. I am sure Steelonious has other ideas though. Laughing Sorry for the cheesy illeisms.

https://youtu.be/5cju3jwo9sg

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2023 8:51 am    

So nice as usual…
Ronald Bednar

California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2023 10:50 am    

I've always loved that song, and your version is like eating a strawberry sundae, so luscious and sweet!
Thank you for posting it!
David Matzenik

Cairns, on the Coral Sea
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2023 2:01 pm    

Tone to the bone! Very Happy

NJ
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2023 4:42 pm    

My recording rig is certainly never going to end up in a gear-related publication but it works for me.

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2023 6:04 pm    

If it sounds good, it is good. It does and it is! Beautifully done.
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2023 8:37 pm    

Nice job, Mike. A lot of work went into that. I know what you mean about the horseshoe pickup getting in the way. It prevents palm muting at the bridge, similar to the Fender trapezoid pickups.
Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2023 4:41 am    

Mike Neer wrote:
My recording rig is certainly never going to end up in a gear-related publication but it works for me.

So many people, including me, spend hours obsessing about gear. If we only spent that time practicing... Your sound is so smooth and clear. It really complements the arrangements. Nice playing as always!
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2023 6:43 am    

Tim, believe me, man, I have been through it all! I've owned so many great amps over the years.
I've never been anti-solid state and always had at least one or two amongst my tube amps.
What I learned is that I sound like myself through all of them and while some amps generate magic in certain rooms, there are ways to make any amp sound good.
Speakers became one of my most passionate pursuits. The right speaker will change the character of any amp, just as the wrong speaker will. A lot of experimenting.
Ultimately, I began using all solid state after suffering a few gear malfunctions on gigs with tube amps. Never again.
A solid state amp with the right speaker(s) lets me just focus on the music.

I am not completely out of the woods on the gear thing--a while back I invested thousands into plugins and things like that (some of which I may never use again). But I had fun.

South Australia, Australia
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2023 9:22 pm    

That's delightful, Mike.
Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2023 5:23 am    

Beautiful, singing tone and relaxed feel. Nobody else (of whom I'm aware) is playing this genre on steel guitar - and a such a technical and artistic level.

New Zealand
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2023 12:20 pm    

Absolutely beautiful. Very Happy
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2023 7:16 pm    

I’m very appreciative of the nice comments and I appreciate your indulgence. Though my ability to thrive as a professional musician is waning, I feel no less passionate about it than I ever have: in fact, probably even more than ever. This music is of a time and yet is timeless. Every so often, there is a revival of ragtime and I hope some point down the line someone hears my recordings and sees possibilities.

I am totally serious about a Steelonious take on this music. I have been keeping a separate list of tunes to work on and prepare for a band recording. I am not going to rush it—when it happens it happens. But I am constantly working on new stuff and gaining a deeper insight into what the steel guitar can do.

One of the cool things in having embraced playing six string C6 more and focusing the playing on the real melodic gold of the pieces without feeling a need to do too much is the relief of letting the other string instruments provide the harmony. It’s liberating and really working out well.

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2023 9:16 am    

Beautiful tone as always Mike!

Do you mind letting me know how you have the JC-40 set? It sounds amazing!

I love my JC-40, and have used it for steel occasionally, but I find it very bright. I had to turn the treble way down to get a smooth tone. Did you experience the same issue?
Jeremy Ball

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2023 9:19 am    

I love my JC-40, and have used it for steel occasionally, but I find it very bright. I had to turn the treble way down to get a smooth tone. Did you experience the same issue?
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2023 12:36 pm    

Jeremy Ball wrote:

My tone is not always pure guitar—>amp. I often use a modeling preamp to warm it up a little. In this case I didn’t but I let the little Fender Bronco that I butchered, I mean modded, to accept a JBL D110 (where previously it was an 8” junk speaker) handle the top end, so the treble is down to about 2, the mids around 4 and the bass around 3. The mic is an AKG C1000s off-axis and pointing at the cone not the dustcap. I also have the tone rolled back a bit on the guitar.

I don’t have to do all that much when I used my Clinesmith. Not nearly as bright as the Rickenbacher. I do love the amp though. Sometimes I go from the multieffects unit straight into the power amp section of the amp, bypassing the JC40’s preamp. I’ve owned quite a few Roland JC120s but I like this amp much more.