| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Glueing fretboards on Rickenbacker DW16
Joe Kaufman

Lewiston, Idaho
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2023 10:24 am    

Hi all!
I just picked off a little project. I believe it’s a Rickenbacker DW16. Both fretboards are loose and need reattached. Any advice on how best to do it? Heat up the old glue and restick? Scrape clean and use something new? Any other tips on bringing it back to usefulness also appreciated. I was able to test that both pickups work but that’s it so far.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2023 11:25 am    

If that Ric was mine, I would simply remove what I could from both surfaces with something relatively benign such as naptha, reattach the 'boards with double-stick tape, and play it.
Joe Kaufman

Lewiston, Idaho
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2023 1:19 pm    

Anyone else have advice to offer?
Chris Clem

California, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2023 8:47 pm    

That looks like hide glue to me (it's hard to tell from a photo). If it is hide glue you can take it off hot water and a rag. Hide glue does stick to aluminum (not great but good enough) but it doesn't stick to lacquer on a guitar much at all. If they didn't remove the lacquer from where they were trying to glue it would not stick very well.

Most people are not familiar with working with hide glue and if your one of them and just want something you can buy at Home Depot. I would recommend using 3M Super 77 spray adhesive. Spray it on both surfaces let it dry for about 15min and stick it on. Be sure to put it on straight because you can't move it once it sticks. You don't need to clamp it but you need to press it as tight as you can, A "J" roller works good if you have one.
Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2023 12:05 am    

Jack Hanson wrote:
If that Ric was mine, I would simply remove what I could from both surfaces with something relatively benign such as naptha, reattach the 'boards with double-stick tape, and play it.

I'm with Jack..........I have several lapsteels with the FB taped. One I did back in 2016 and it's still in place. Put the FB on dry and take short pieces of painter's tape and mark the sides as a guide so when you put it on for good it's where you want it. I usually use 3 or 4 pieces of double face tape to hold it down.

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2023 1:42 pm    

Both spray adhesive and double sided tape will work, but I like the 3M spray adhesive method better.
After cleaning both surfaces mask off the area that your going to spray on the guitar with blue masking tape and paper so you don't spray where you don't want it.
Chris noted that you have to be precise when sticking the FB down. One trick to help help locate the FB (depending on the thickness of the FB) where you want it is to use what are called slip sticks (something thin like popsicle sticks will work) laid perpendicular across the area before you stick. They hold the FB off the surface so you can locate the FB where you want it. When you have everything lined up you can push the FB down in a couple of small spots to lightly attach it and determine if it's properly located. Push the FB down along one of the sticks and slip the stick out. Work your way along the FB removing the sticks as you go. Always start in the center and push the air bubbles towards the edge. With that said its lots easier to stick it freehand but be careful.

If you chose to use double stick tape make sure you get the best your money can buy. I love the 3M VHB product in the link below:

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-10112/3M-VHB-Tape/3M-4910-VHB-Double-Sided-Tape-3-4-x-36-yds?pricode=WB0128&gadtype=pla&id=S-10112&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIi6DhsKCtgAMV_18PAh3magixEAQYASABEgIpofD_BwE

Although it's very pricey, it the best money can buy. Once something is stuck down with this tape it's not coming up. Another option could be this stuff that I haven't used before (much more reasonable pricewise):

https://www.amazon.com/Super-Strength-Molding-Tape-03614/dp/B002JOVUO0/ref=asc_df_B002JOVUO0/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=241948264947&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11272913144855779577&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt

Jack and Bill,
Do you guys have a double stick tape you prefer?

If you use double stick tape I recommend you push down in the center and smooth it down to the outer edge. That way you remove any bubbles that could be trapped in under the FB.
Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2023 2:45 pm    

I believe what we had where I worked was from U line.

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2023 8:01 am    

I use the stuff StewMac sells -- #2712. It's spendy, but it works as advertised for me.
Robert Allen

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2023 10:32 am     Double stick tape

Best I've used is made by 3M, #467 MP. It's permanent. Available on Amazon for under $7. I've used the #77 spray adhesive but it's more work to mask everything before spraying.
Bob - Melbert Guitars
Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2023 12:48 pm     Re: Double stick tape

Robert Allen wrote:
Best I've used is made by 3M, #467 MP. It's permanent. Available on Amazon for under $7. I've used the #77 spray adhesive but it's more work to mask everything before spraying.
Bob - Melbert Guitars

Well there you go. I've never seen a Melbert with a loose fretboard and Bob has made a bunch!
Tom Snook

Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2023 4:30 pm    

I've always been a fan of Dap contact cement,5.99 at any hardware store. This ain't rocket science.
Aloha