| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bright string
Carey Hofer

South Dakota, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2023 7:03 pm    

I play an 8 string lap steel (B11 tuning). The strings are B C# D# F# A C# E G# low to high. I used to have a low A on the bottom string but I never used it. I got rid of it and put a G# on top instead, which I use a lot more. Problem is, the G# is too bright.

My question is, it common to have a G# on the first string of any tunings? My scale is 23 1/4". The string gauge I use is .013, don't think I could use a bigger string without breaking it. Is G# just too high for this steel? Guess I could go back to the regular B11th tuning but I like this a lot better. Any suggestions anyone?

Last edited by Carey Hofer on 26 Jul 2023 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2023 4:56 am    

Just spitballing, but how about keeping the same intervals and going down to A11? High string F# maybe a little less bright. A tunings are great for guitar players cause you have same basic positions already familiarized. String gauges would have to go up slightly I suppose.
David Knutson

Cowichan Valley, Canada
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2023 9:49 am    

I had a similar issue with an E13 tuning once. The high G# just didn’t fit in, tonally, so I dropped down to a thinner string and that worked. Maybe try a .012?

South Dakota, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2023 4:11 pm    

Tried the .012 but didn't seem to make much difference. I did try lowering tuning to G11th. Sounded little dead though. Think maybe I went too low. Tuning to A11th might work. I will try that. Thanks for the help guys.
Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2023 4:34 am    

Keep us posted on your progress!
Carey Hofer

South Dakota, USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2023 2:30 pm    

I ended up dropping the first string down a step so that it formed a major sixth chord instead of a major seventh chord. Decided I had more use for that tuning anyway. Helped a little. But what finally solved it was, I had Jerry at Sentell build me another pickup. The new pickup is a balanced and full sounding humbucker. Tah dah.