| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Strings Coming Out My Ears
Dom Franco

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2023 11:25 am    

Some of you may know that I build and play lap steel guitars...
And I also play Pedal Steel, Resonators, Electric and Acoustic guitars, mandolin, Banjo, Bass and Ukulele.
All these instruments require strings, some Flatwound, some Roundwound, some Bronze, Steel, coated, uncoated
Plain, wound, fat, skinny etc in all gauges.

My 13 string lapsteels are unique and there are no available string sets. so sometimes I would just by several complete sets,sometimes individual gauge strings, and sometimes bulk packs of the sizes I use the most.

When I buy full sets of strings, there are always a few of them that I can't use. I hate to throw them away, so I keep them and try to make up sets for a different instrument. I have also bought Individual strings from "JUSTSTRINGS.COM" and they usually have everything I need but it cost's more and then I have to pay shipping as well.

Sorry for the long-winded post, so to get to the point... I HAVE MANY STRINGS THAT I WILL PROBABLY NEVER USE.
You may need some odd sized strings and I might have them. I would be glad to give them away free to a fellow forum member.
* Just re-imburse my "actual" shipping cost. I'm not trying to make money here, my wife is the one who suggested
I give them other to musicians. Just PM me through the steelguitarforum.

Sincerely;
Dom Franco

Victoria, BC
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2023 8:36 pm    

That’s very generous of you. I don’t understand why you didn’t explain to your wife that whatever string gauges you give away, you’ll need the next day Laughing Laughing Laughing

https://papadafoe.com/lap-steel-tuning-database
Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2023 4:52 am    

A very kind gesture! Whatever you have left , maybe you could donate to a small music store that gives lessons, or some worthy cause. I have the same problem. I buy 10 or 12 string sets for my 8 string guitars. I even save the ones with the curly ends.
G Strout

Carabelle, Florida
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2023 3:46 pm    

I'm definitely a little late to this party but thought that I would respond anyway in hopes of saving everyone time and money.
Mapes Company in Tennesse makes wire for just about every purpose that you can imagine. Defense industries, High tensile Missle Wire, Spring wire, etc. They also make piano wire and best estimate they produce about 80% of the wire used for guitar strings sold to companies that manufacture guitar strings in the usa. They have been in business over 100 years.
They have a guitar string department that makes strings for many of the major brands sould in the USA, and will make OEM strings for some luthiers , guitar stores etc.
Have a look at their website and you will see that they will make any set up for you with your specific gauges. Their pricing is way below comparable major retailers. (I pay abbout 11.00 for 3 sets of 6 string guitar strings)
They do pedal and console strings with your custom guages also for about the same price. Resonator, Mandolin, Banjo. They do it all. I have no connection with them other than being a customer for many years..... have a look.

https://www.mapeswire.com/
Melbert 8, Remington S8, Silk 6 string, Rick B6, Tremblay 6 lap steel, Marlen S-10 4&4, Prestige Guild M75 and Artist Award, Benedetto Bravo, Epiphone Century Electar (the real one) and a bunch of old lap steels.... mostly Ricks and Magnatones'