Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2023 5:26 pm    

Has anyone tried this unit? Feedback.

Phone: 971-219-8533

Last edited by Larry Behm on 9 Aug 2023 10:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2023 7:33 pm    

Zen Drive is a well known overdrivev pedal by Alphonse Hermida. I believe they're being manufactured these days by Lovepedal. I think calling an overdrive a "Zen" overdrive/drive/whatever would probably be considered trademark infringement. And I've not heard of anything by Benado with the name "Zen Overdrive".

Are you talking about the Nutra Drive as on, for example, the Steel Dream and other Benado pedalboards? I'm actually interested in what people have to say about that one.
Brian Spratt

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2023 3:42 am    

Dave, you might already be aware of this, but the Nutradrive on the Benado units is based on a Zen Drive. I assume that's where the OP was coming from. I've heard this from Paul Franklin, for example see this video at the 34:44 mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-s9JgwKhmc&t=2198s
ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2023 1:59 pm    

Just to clear something up (and correct me I'm wrong).....

The original post IMO is somewhat misleading.

From what I was able to find doing some research, the Nutra Drive/Overdrive/whatever is NOT a stand alone pedal.
It is a part/section of a Benado multi effects box.

Also, from my very brief research, it appears that there may be a couple of different Benado multi effects boxes, each with a slightly different version of the Nutra.

The way that the previous posts were worded, that may not be clear.

As for comparing it to a Hermida Zendrive or some other pedals, that may actually be better off tackled in another topic heading, so as not to detract from this one.

Back to the show.
Jack Stanton

Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2023 5:25 pm    

ajm, I can and will tackle that topic! I own both a Nutradrive (in my steel Dream) as well as a first-generation Zen Drive (gifted to me by forum bro John McCook) and while the Zen is amazing compared to any other OD's I've ever tried, the Nutradrive eats it's lunch. It's hard to describe, but incredibly versatile and I like it better in every way, subtle, slamming, thin, fat, just better to my ears. I have several fairly high end reverbs and delays that I like a little better than the ones in the Steel Dream, but every time I take it off my pedal board the Nutradrive keeps me coming back.
Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2023 6:33 pm    

I've got a Benado Pro, and when I play I'm on the SolBurner... not the NutraDrive. The SolBurner is the reason I bought the (giant) pedal... you can play it into whatever, a cheap PA, and it just sounds stellar (for armpit guitar). I guess I should play more with the NutraDrive... but I probably should use it on a nice tube amp and not some SS POS practice amp.