| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  VP connection for Boss Katana Amp/GA-FC footswitch users
Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2023 8:29 pm    

I’ve had my Katana 100 combo (Mk1) for a couple years now, and I am still learning the secrets inside this magic box. My most recent discovery has to do with plugging the pedal steel volume pedal straight into the Katana’s companion Boss GA-FC foot switch, and running the guitar straight from the output jack to the amp input (bypassing the VP input).

The circuitry in connecting the footswitch seems to put the volume pedal after the preamp, just like putting it in the fx loop. This takes all the guesswork about how much gain to add to your signal before the volume pedal lets it start to crackle and burn, because it’s there all the time. And same with your bass-mid-treble and internal overdrive/distortion settings. No wimpy tone at low volume, and swells get full eq signal from start to finish.

Couple things that took me by surprise -
When connected to the Foot Volume Jack on the GA-FC, backing off the volume pedal chops the reverb and delay. I hated that, so I tried plugging the VP into the FX jack, which left the tails on - much better, imo.
Also, connecting the footswitch to the Stage One volume pedal via TRS cable improved the tone coming from the amp.

I don’t usually get excited about geeky stuff, but I just found out about this recently and thought I’d share in the hopes that other steeler/Katana users might find some of the glory in it.