| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Cherokee d10 steel ??
Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2023 9:37 am    

Has any one own a Cherokee pedal steel pull release?
I have this steel here at my shop too work on for a customer.
This Cherokee steel seems too be a improved version of a Sho Bud perm.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2023 10:27 am    

Never heard of them, but that is one GORGEOUS guitar.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2023 11:18 am    

There's a previous post or two somewhere on the forum by Clyde Mattocks re: building Cherokee Pedal steels.
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2023 12:17 pm    

Typical well built, great sounding P/R setup.. I always thought they were pretty similar to a Marlen... Marlen later became all pull, not sure if cherokee ever got that far in their development... I am sure they sound great. Most of the old P/R guitars sounded wonderful, at least the ones I've played... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2023 7:33 pm    

Claro Daughety and I built the Cherokee guitars. Over the years I have provided information on them. From around 1967 to about 1992 we built about 70 steels. Claro was the craftsman with the bodies and the finishes. I did the pickups and underneaths. We were friends and collaborators with Leonard Stadler at Marlen and swapped ideas and parts. We also visited Ron, Sr.at Emmons quite a bit.

At one point during the 70s Ampeg considered getting into the steel business and sent a rep to talk to us about building under their name. We declined because we were enjoying building at our own pace and both of us had fairly busy playing schedules.

North Carolina is home to several military bases and we sold quite a few to military personel. Folks have told us they saw Cherokees in Japan, Germany and Guam.

When all pulls became popular, we decided we didn't care to get into it any deeper. Claro passed away around 1994.

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2023 1:45 pm    

The one Johnnie has pictured is an earlier model evidenced by the angle aluminum knee levers. The later ones had channel aluminum Knee levers. Looks like this one has been well taken care of.

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2023 7:37 pm     Cherokee d10

I was fortunate to have owned a SD 10 3x4 Cherokee in a beautiful green color. It was a very well built pedal steel. Fine craftsmanship and quality. The pedals and levers were very smooth, stayed in tune well, and had a great tone. Mr. Mattocks was kind enough to call me and talk with me for about an hour, and shared about these fine guitars. And he not only explained the build, setup, and tuning procedure, but also mailed me the tuning procedure information. The Pull Release build was a simple tuning process.