| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sho-Bud 6138
Richard Saylor

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2023 12:05 pm    

I'm most likely buying a Sho-Bud 6138 today. Looking to check it out in a few hours. Photos look good and it's a great price, $500. Any thoughts or advice. I'm new to pedal steel, although have been playing acoustic and electric guitar for over 50 years. Plus, I build electrics. Of course, will be taking an amp along to check out the pickup, pots and volume pedal.
D Schubert

Columbia, MO, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2023 12:51 pm    

(I edited this post, to remove some incorrect assertions)

Last edited by D Schubert on 28 Apr 2023 6:48 am; edited 3 times in total
Jim Arnold

Texas USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2023 12:55 pm    

Take a bunch of pictures. Post them here on the forum. You'll have a much better chance of getting a good opinion of what it is. And Ricky Davis is a go to guy for everything Sho~Bud.
Richard Saylor

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2023 1:15 pm    

I only have the one photo posted online. I'm good at mechanical assessment. I can tell if the levers move smoothly and judging wear and tear. Why not a good guitar for a beginner? Tuning problems? I've watched a few videos and the sound is something I'm looking for. The owner has been playing it professionally. Anything specific I should be looking for?
Eric Dahlhoff

Point Arena, California
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2023 1:31 pm    

This is some Sho~Bud model info I got from here on the Forum. I'm only listing the single neck models here.

MODEL NUMBERS FOR SHO-BUD PEDAL STEEL GUITARS
6138 Single Neck 10 strings 3 pedals
6139 Single Neck 10 strings 3 pedals, 1 knee lever
6140 Single Neck 10 strings 6 pedals, no knee lever
6148 Pro-I Single Neck 10 strings 3 pedals, 2 knee levers
6150 LDG Single Neck 10 strings 3 pedals, 4 knee levers
6152 Maverick Single Neck 10 strings 3 pedals, 1 knee lever
6160 Pro-I Single Neck 12 string 3 pedals, 4 knee levers

Is this correct? Then a 6138 is only 3 pedals and no knees. Still a lot of music that can be played, but you will hit a learning wall pretty quickly and desire some knee levers.

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2023 1:41 pm    

Thanks for the info about pedals and levers. Is it true that the 6138 can be upgraded to knee levers using a 6139 knee lever kit? He has an NOS kit for sale for an extra $125.
Richard Saylor

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2023 1:44 pm    

I've been looking for a pedal steel for quite a while and haven't found anything playable in this price range. I've been playing lap steel for 5 years and want to expand my knowledge.
Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2023 4:14 pm    

Looks like a Maverick to me. Not very upgradeable. I'd pass and wait until something better comes along.
JMHO
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2023 4:37 pm    

I must disagree with my good pal and long-time colleague Skip... the Maverick, especially that vintage of Maverick, 1st Generation... is very upgradeable. Levers can be added to its basic pull-release changer with relatively few modifications.

That model Maverick (1st Gen) with raised neck and Gumby pegheads, is also a wonderful S-10 non-pedal console guitar with the pedals not attached. An identical guitar has been my NP console for about 10 years. I have also sold two of those guitars off the bandstand after a non-pedal show for more than $500. So I think 5 bills for that guitar is more than a good deal.

To put my money where my mouth is, I will buy that guitar for $500 right now if the OP isn't interested.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Richard Saylor

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2023 5:30 pm    

I'm feeling good about this purchase. For it's age it's looking mighty straight. The pickup is hot! Everything seems to be there. Practicing a bit of deferred gratification and will put it together tomorrow. Must get some new strings.

Jonathan Shacklock

London, UK
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2023 12:20 am    

You got a beautiful guitar there Richard. I loved my Maverick! It got me totally hooked on pedal steel and had great tone. I’d definitely buy the upgrade kit and get someone to add it and service the guitar if it needs it. With the volume pedal you got a great deal.
Jim Arnold

Texas USA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2023 5:45 am    

Excellent deal! Maverick's are sweet guitars and for what you paid and got a Sho~Bud volume pedal, you really made out.
Get ready for the time of your life. Well done.
Joe Krumel

Hermitage, Tn.
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2023 6:03 am    

Yep,I would take it. Great" stepping stone" "guitar.when you move up in the future,that will be a nice non pedal guitar as mentioned earlier.
Richard Saylor

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2023 8:50 am    

Thanks to y'all for taking time to answer questions and give encouragement. I'm excited to take on this challenging instrument.
Drew Pierce

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2023 10:15 am    

Congrats on a great score!. My first PSG was a first of the first gen. Mavericks. Polished endplates and non-roller nut. Bought it in a pawn shop in 1972 for $125. I added one KL (RKR, 4th string E to F?) and was actually playing gigs with it before I moved up a BMI-->Sho-Bud Pro II -->ZumSteel -->early PP Emmons ladder, where I am now. All were fine guitars but the little Maverick still has a place in my heart.
Richard Saylor

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2023 3:24 pm    

Got it re-strung and tuned up. Stays in tune! I love the pickup. It's much more harmonically complex than my Supertone and Supro lap steels. Playing it through a Roland JC 55. I'm surprised how much the Sho Bud volume pedal colors the sound compared to my Dunlop GCB-80. It's kind adds a bit of compression and smooths out the sound. Digging into the Pedal Steel Guitar book tonight!
Drew Pierce

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2023 5:59 am    

That's a real beauty. Although if what I'm seeing on the strings near the pickup is the tone bar you're using, you might consider getting a proper PSG tonebar. The one in the pic looks like the type generally used for dobro, slide guitar and lap steels. A PSG bar has more mass and will enhance the tone and sustain of your new guitar. There are plenty of discussions about tone bar options on this forum. I personally like BJS, but there are lots of options out there.
Richard Saylor

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2023 8:00 am    

Good eye! Yes, that is one of my lap steel tone bars. I've ordered a 7/8" bullet nose style arriving tomorrow.
Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2023 9:25 am    

Richard Saylor wrote:
Good eye!

Speaking of good eye...anyone see a small lizard in that last photo?

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat
Richard Saylor

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2023 5:27 pm     Overtones

I installed GHS Americana E9th strings. Getting some nasty overtones on the four high strings, particularly the E and G#. I've tried a bit of everything, including just touching each individual string with the tip of the tone bar, with the same results. Maybe bad strings? I don't believe it's technique, I've been playing lap steel for years without this problem. The problem shows up on all of my amps, and is exacerbated by reverb. I've also tried raising and lowering the pickup to no avail.
Bob Sigafoos

San Clemente, Calif. , U.S.
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2023 6:12 pm     Overtones

Hi Richard! Do you get overtones with that Shubb type bar? Do you put a little bit of your left hand on the left side of the bar when playing? You definately have to mute the left side of the bar to eliminate most overtones. A real and round PSG tonebar with some meat touching the left side strings is needed.
Richard Saylor

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2023 6:27 pm    

Yes, I have 7/8" tone bar. I learned on lap steel years ago and know that technique. I forgot to mention. The old strings, so old they were turning brittle and beginning to break, had nice even tone, without the fingernails on a chalkboard overtones.
Pat Moore

Virginia USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2023 4:59 am    

Hi Richard,
Great find! Get yourself some Live Steel strings. lsstrings.com
You'll never look back!
Unless it's been changed, that Shobud pedal probably has the original volume pot in it! They last a long time & sound great!
Welcome to the thought provoking club! Seat time now!
Congrats, Pat
Joe Krumel

Hermitage, Tn.
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2023 5:15 am    

That Gumby key head gets me every time. Best design ever. I would get it. Great project guitar.History.congrats on a great find!
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2023 7:10 am    

Great deal. Just the volume pedal alone usually goes for $100 - $200 (depending on condition) on the used market.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.