| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  B pedal pressure/tuning issue
Asa Brosius

Post  Posted 19 Jun 2023 4:20 pm    

My B pedal is flat when activated slowly and gently (fully bottomed out), and in tune when activated quickly/ with a little force. I noticed this on stage last weekend, did a quick post show inspection- nothing seemed visually amiss mechanically. The guitar is a recent Williams S10, and it lives in a bus bay during the week. I'll have a morning to clean/lube/investigate next weekend, and I'd like to hit it informed- has anybody experienced this? I'd appreciate any thoughts and advice.

*Edit- string six is the one in question.

Last edited by Asa Brosius on 20 Jun 2023 8:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2023 4:51 pm    

Both strings are flat the same amount?
Change strings while you’re at the clean/lube/investigate job.
Bengt Erlandsen

Brekstad, NORWAY
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2023 11:35 pm    

I would check that the return springs are just tight enough so the lowering finger does not move for those two strings affected by the B pedal. The springs should be just tight enough to hold the lowering finger in place so it doesnt move when it not supposed to. Too tight springs might also cause probles.

B.Erlandsen
Zumsteel S12extE9 7+7
Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2023 8:53 am    

I agree with the above comments -- and will add along the lines of Bengt's lower-being-slightly-activated theory that the root cause may be that the scissors are binding a little. That would explain why you have a problem when doing a slow pedal-push but not a fast one. If this were the problem, adjusting the springs might work, but this would be reacting and adjusting around the root cause rather than directly fixing it... so I recommend lubing the rivet down in the middle of the changer where the raise- and lower-scissor pieces connect.

You can test if the "lower-being-slightly-activated" theory is the problem by slowly pushing the B-pedal and watching the lowering section of the changer. It should not move any.

If it does move, that's a problem so lubricate that rivet and if that doesn't get you there, check the spring tension following Bengt's guidelines. The reason you have a problem on a slow pedal-push, but not a fast.... is that, due to a little binding between the metal parts, the lower finger is being activated and dragged along with the raise when doing a slow pedal-push. But a fast, hard push on the pedal may allow the raise scissor to 'break free' from the lowering scissor before it gets a chance to start moving. It's like kicking open a closed door that's stuck. It quickly pops free of whatever was binding it in place and you can then get all the way up to your target note. This is all a guess, but wanted to put it on the table as a possibility.
Asa Brosius

Post  Posted 20 Jun 2023 1:36 pm    

Good advice, thank you- I'll update when I get to it.
Dale Rivard

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2023 6:31 am    

Since it's just the 6th string, I would look at what Bengt is saying. We normally think of the lower return springs as just a means to adjust the lowers but they also can affect the raises. Looking underneath the guitar, slowly push the B pedal and watch the lower return spring on the 6th string. If it moves slightly(jumps), the spring needs more tension. Paul Franklin Sr. calls this "lifting off". If you press the pedal quickly, you won't see this.
Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2023 7:42 pm    

If it is only the 6th string, 3rd string is working proper, the lower spring would be the first thing to check.

If the 3rd string is being affected at the same time. Check the Cross shaft on the B pedal. Make sure the cross shaft and B pedal are moving freely. The 6th string being larger will react faster and more out of tune because of its size.

Good Luck finding the problem and fix. Happy Steelin.
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2023 4:15 am    

Check the Bellcrank , make sure its tight on the cross shaft. Also make sure it doesn't have a slight hairline crack.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Bill Sutton

Post  Posted 23 Jun 2023 7:42 am    

I had the same problem just last week with my Emmons Guitar.
Tony Prior is right...It was a crack in the bellcrank. Changed it out and fixed the problem...works great now.
Asa Brosius

Post  Posted 23 Jun 2023 11:38 am    

Bingo on spring tension - all is well now. Thanks for all the help.
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2023 1:41 am    

Bill Sutton wrote:
I had the same problem just last week with my Emmons Guitar.
Tony Prior is right...It was a crack in the bellcrank. Changed it out and fixed the problem...works great now.

LOL Laughing I don't think I'm right ! Its just a couple of things we should check . I had a Sho Bud with a Cracked Bellcrank and my Legrande II had a slightly loose Bellcrank on the shaft causing the "ever so slightly" inconsistent "pitch " issue.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website