| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  For you taller players...
bob Ousby

Nevada, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2023 5:11 am    

Do adjustable rear legs do the job in preventing thigh or knee scrape?
Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2023 5:42 am    

To an extent, yes. But a front leg extension kit is also a big help. You can get pedal rod extenders from the forum store
https://www.steelguitarshopper.com/parts/?price_min=23&price_max=40&sort=alphaasc.
And you can cut wood dowels to insert in the adjustable front legs.
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2023 9:58 am    

How tall are you? I started out at 6'4" (shrinking more to like 6'3" now), and I have to raise a D10 or SD-10 about 2" higher than standard. S12 more like 3". That's both front and back. But every player is different. I focus on the length from the bottom of my foot to the top of my knee, once I have a seat high enough so that my left foot is comfortable working the pedals. This is all related to overall height, but overall height is not the complete picture. I also have my seat 2-3" higher than a typical pack seat, which is why I use a good adjustable drum throne.

There are tons of threads on doing raising up a pedal steel. Look up lift kit - that works for the front legs. Here's one where I specified what I did - https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=1175173

I use thin aluminum tubing instead of wood dowel to keep the legs from slipping. I took a leg into Home Depot and just grabbed a a couple of sections that fit, and then cut with a cheap tube/pipe cutter, works fine for me.
Dave Meis

Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2023 10:45 am    

I also raise my guitars and seats 2”, and instead of using dowel or tubing to raise the front legs, I use 5/8” collars to hold the pedal bar down and the leg clutch to set the length. Infinitely adjustable. You still have to deal with pedal rod length as mentioned above.
bob Ousby

Nevada, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2023 11:41 am    

Dave...I'm 6'1"
Dave Meis

Post  Posted 16 Jun 2023 12:29 pm    

I'm 6'3", but a lot of that is in my legs, and I don't like being just barely under the apron. I like having some leverage on the levers and be comfortable with the vertical...
Everyone is built a little different. That's why I use the collars.. Make it yours! 😃👍

Last edited by Dave Meis on 1 Aug 2023 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
David Ball

North Carolina High Country
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2023 1:25 pm    

Dave Meis wrote:
I also raise my guitars and seats 2”, and instead of using dowel or tubing to raise the front legs, I use 5/8” collars to hold the pedal bar down and the leg clutch to set the length. Infinitely adjustable. You still have to deal with pedal rod length as mentioned above.

Using the collars is a great idea--wish I had thought of that! I've always just cut a piece of tubing to fit over the leg, but the collar is adjustable.

Dave
Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2023 4:02 pm    

I agree, that collar is a great idea. Gonna hafta try that.
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2023 12:54 am    

bob Ousby wrote:
Dave...I'm 6'1"

I assume since you're asking the question in the first place that you feel a need to raise the steel some.

If your legs are proportioned to the rest of your body similarly to mine, I would hazard a guess that you would probably be good with a 1" lift at 6'1". But I think the best way to figure it out is to raise the rear legs (and perhaps the seat, I know I raise mine at least 2-3 inches) enough so that you can get good leverage on the pedals and also have adequate clearance for your knees while working the pedals and volume pedal. That depends on where you like your knees to hit the levers. And then raise the front up enough so it feels good to you. If it's just an inch, you may like the tilt forward. I lived with my guitars like that for several years, but in the end found that I really prefer my steel to be fairly level.

For me, having the knees hit levers at a good spot vertically - not too low and not too high on the lever - is important. If my knee is too close to a lever's fulcrum, too much pressure is required to activate it. But if it's too close to the end of the lever, there is often too much travel. Similar to the situation with bellcranks - ideally I like to place a pull rod on a bellcrank to give enough throw to keep the pressure required to engage reasonable, but not any more than that. Of course, what is 'comfortable' or 'reasonable' is a matter of personal taste and ergonomics.

I had a couple of set-screw shaft collars that I tried way back. Maybe they just weren't well made, but I had trouble getting them to hold as well as the metal tubing. Maybe I'll try to find another (better) set and give it a whirl again. I do like the concept and especially the adjustability.
bob Ousby

Nevada, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2023 4:42 am    

I've been away from the psg for a while having had an Excel and a Sho-Pro. With the recent passing of my wife that equals a lot of time on my hands so I thought I'd venture back in. I've been admiring Ivan's EST for sale and also the new Growler.
John Laidler

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2023 3:13 am    

I'm 6' 7". Currently have a two-inch lift on the front of my ShoBud, and the back higher, so the fretboard is tilted somewhat.

Still a bit cramped under there, so I've just ordered a additional set of pedal rod extenders from the forum store to take the front height up another inch.

I'm also looking at getting another steel, as the ShoBud is kinda heavy Smile. Looking at the Excel models, I am wondering if the reduced length has any impact for taller players? Presumably you need to sit a little further away from the steel, and with your knees closer together? Does that cause any issues?

Thanks for your thoughts.

John

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2023 11:08 am    

I'd recommend two collars. - One right under the clutch- Clutches can slip. Especially older ones. RP

New York, USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2023 3:52 am    

I am 6'3" with long legs. I had to raise my guitar's rear legs considerably to avoid thigh scraping against the guitar.
I also had to make 4" long pedal rod extenders.

The guitar ends up tilted forward a good bit but that doesn't bother me. Partly I think this is because I usually wear shoes with a bit of heel when playing, if I don't then my feet are bent back too much when I'm not stepping on the pedals and I get shin splints.

My Emmons has lots of pedal travel, especially on the C pedal, so I need some extra clearance for leg movement. If I had a more modern guitar with short pedal throws I could probably run everything lower.
Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2023 3:25 am    

I found the collars at Tractor Supply. Going to give them a try as soon as the pedal rod extenders get here. Did you guys do anything to keep the setscrews from scaring the legs?
Dave Meis

Post  Posted 12 Aug 2023 9:41 am    

@ Rodger: They don’t have to be very tight. I put the setscrews facing the rear so they’re out of sight, and only use them above the pedal bar. You’ll probably have to dress the end of the rod to slide them on.. some of my legs were flared a little, but a file dressed them up. They’re a snug fit, so not much pressure (hardly any!) is needed to hold them.
Hope this helps..
Ivan Funk

Hamburg Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2023 3:08 pm    

I did the same thing Dave.
I found these at Ace Hardware I think: