| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New (to me) BEAUTIFUL LDG - Questions and Advice needed
Jim Fogarty

Phila, Pa, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2023 4:47 pm    

Hey kids.....I bought this LDG, in beautiful condition, on whim. Seller had zero info, but the price was fair and the pics looked like it was well-taken care of. Got it yesterday, and it's in excellent shape, plays and sounds good. It's an '82, I believe.I like it a lot, but some issues (for me).

It's setup Day, while I play Emmons. Copedant is not what I prefer (I like both E's on LK). Now it's:
LKL - raises 7 and 1 to G
LKR - raises 8 and 4 to F
RKL - Lowers 8 and 4 to Eb
RKR - Lowers 2 to D/C# and 9 to C#

So, questions. Would I be defacing or devaluing it by changing it to Emmons and having my copedant of choice on there? Or should I consider just trading it someone for a steel setup more my style?

Also, I know there's pot metal parts that should be replaced. What should I consider upgrading, at minimum, to help make it more reliable (live use), and where can I get good replacement parts?

Finally, here's some pics. Any general thoughts or advice? Thanks!

Last edited by Jim Fogarty on 13 Jun 2023 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mark Perrodin

Tucson Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2023 5:03 pm     ldg

you would not change the value by changing from day to emmons. it’s a great guitar that can allow you to play a lifetime of music if you choose to. make it your own and keep it forever.
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2023 5:07 pm    

I'll leave discussion of what pot metal parts to upgrade and where to source them to someone with better info.

But absolutely do change the setup to suit your needs. That is NOT in any way a 'modification'. And the good news is that all the rods and cranks are right there.

The only thing missing to have a nice comprehensive setup is the 9th string lower D > C# edited to add: on RKR which is a very nice change.
Jim Fogarty

Phila, Pa, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2023 5:47 pm    

Thanks! FWIW, this is pretty much the copedant I’d want on there, except maybe raise 7, instead of lowering 6.

Jim Fogarty

Phila, Pa, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2023 8:13 pm    

Probably a stupid question, but I'm full of them! 😉

I know the the pedal rods should connect to the middle hole, but should they be facing the other way around from how I have them here? Been having an issue with them disconnecting during playing.

Bengt Erlandsen

Brekstad, NORWAY
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2023 10:24 pm    

Changing this to Emmons setup with LK doing both the raise and lowering of the E string would be no problem at all. No worries at devalue of the guitar.
According to the picture of the endplate there is a lower for the 9 string as well(should be working on the same cross shaft as the lower for the 2nd string.

Raising both 1 & 7 is a perfectly good choice. Both F#'s -> G or both F#'s -> G# is a good option. Which one to choose depends on personal taste and style of music beeing played.

The rods would be installed the other way from what is shown in the picture. They are installed from the rear and then they will hinge naturally down towards the pedals in the front so they can be connected to the pedals.

B.Erlandsen
Remington S10LG 3+4
Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2023 9:00 am    

The pot metal parts to potentially replace would be the knee lever brackets--the part that connects the lever itself to the cross shaft. They're what can snap during a gig (been there! on a Super Pro--I immediately had all the brackets replaced with aluminum).

I have an LDG I bought used that has three of the four brackets replaced with aluminum. The one that wasn't replaced is on the LKL; I think this is because of the way that lever train is angled, not parallel to the body, so there is less torque on the bracket when it hits the stop.
Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2023 2:13 pm    

Michael Yall for parts. Easy to change over. Knee lever brackets made of pot metal. Brake easy. Mike Yall has the good ones. He makes them.
Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2023 2:57 pm    

Lots of great advice here, and a fine instrument for years to come.

I have had a few guitars of this generation, and had few but very inconvenient failures of pot-metal parts, both bellcranks and lever parts. As you are soon going to take it apart to convert it to Emmons, I would suggest replacing as many parts as you can find and afford at such time, but not be too worried if you have to start small. You can also improvise, as the late Eric West once did when a lever broke during a show so when the band took a break he got some tools from his rig and replaced the broken lever with a cut-off butter knife from the club's kitchen before the next set.

Good luck and have fun!
Jim Fogarty

Phila, Pa, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2023 6:18 pm    

BTW.....I lied. String 9 DOES lower to C#. String 2 has a 1/2 stop feel, and I just needed to be sure to push past that to get 9 to lower.
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2023 3:53 am    

Jim Fogarty wrote:
BTW.....I lied. String 9 DOES lower to C#. String 2 has a 1/2 stop feel, and I just needed to be sure to push past that to get 9 to lower.

Perfect. I'd only looked at your chart. A look at the pictures would have told me that you've got 9 covered.

IF the stop on the 2nd string is too stiff, you can make it a bit lighter by loosening this collar and letting out some of the spring tension.
I'd wait a while until you get used to the feel and can make a more informed decision.