| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  ATLANTIC NUX delay & reverb
Roy McKinney

Ontario, OR
Post  Posted 30 May 2023 7:49 am    

Turned my Fender twin reverb amp on, turned the NUX on and "boom"....loud volume crash and silence. Unplug everything, turned amp back on and works fine. Pluged the NUX back in and silence.....no work.

Looks to be a sealed unit and no access to the inside. Must be a "throw AWAY" unit. javascript:emoticon('Mad')
Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 30 May 2023 8:23 am    

Roy,
On mine, the screws to open it up are located under the little stick-on rubber feet. Are you sure the 9VDC power supply is good? Do either the delay or reverb LEDs come on when you push the switch?
Roy McKinney

Ontario, OR
Post  Posted 30 May 2023 8:37 am    

Yes, both lights will come on. 9v supply is good.
Thank you, the screws are there.
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 30 May 2023 9:43 am    

I have had a Nux Atlantic 'fail' a few times -- no dramatic crash but just a quiet....nothing. Unplugging and re-booting it has solved it each time. Your situation does sound different though.
Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 30 May 2023 10:09 am    

I expect you've already checked it, but maybe try a new cord between the Nux and the amp. Also, I seem to recall having a problem when I accidently plugged a mono cord into the stereo output. Wouldn't explain the "crash" though.
Roy McKinney

Ontario, OR
Post  Posted 30 May 2023 10:38 am    

What ever it was or is, the darn thing is working now. I had already checked the cables for problems. Thanks everyone for the responses, it was much appreciated.
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 30 May 2023 10:56 am    

Good to hear. I've never had a failure on stage. If I'm remembering right, it has always been when powering up the pedal board. I'm guessing that it is sensitive to...some sort of power glitch. The good news is that it seems to protect itself by shutting down. After the first time when I thought it had become a doorstop but then was fine, now I just unplug it and then it fires right back up, no problem.
Roy McKinney

Ontario, OR
Post  Posted 30 May 2023 11:01 am    

Thanks John, I don't use a pedal board. Just the amp and the nux. I turn amp on first (standby) they power up the nux.
Ray DeVoe

Hudson, FL
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2023 4:57 am     NUX Atlantic pedal

Roy / all.

I knew this would eventually surface as a problem. I own 3 NUX Atlantic units and had the same issues with all three.

My setups are all simple as I dont use a pedal board, just the NUX unit. I also have experienced the noise that was reported. Mine just all of a sudden went into a "roar" and I had to unplug the signal cord.
------------------------------------------------
The quick steps to take to get the unit back on line is to unplug the signal cord from the front of the amp, and then unplug the power supply on the front of the NUX unit.

Then replug the power supply back into the NUX and then the signal cord into the amp. Then play something to see if its working. Once verified that its working, push the stomp buttons to verify that its also working in the effects on position.

This seems to work every time. I verify mine is working before ever starting to play.
-----------------------------------------------

AS a note to all, I ran across this topic on a pedal forum. A couple of the electronic geeks reportedly dug into the NUX subject and followed power draws and other issues. The only "fix" for the issue that they found was to update the software by way of downloading the new drivers and software and installing those in the pedal. Those updates are right on the NUX site. I have not tried that step yet but it seems to be the only path forward.
If some one does the download, keep us in the loop.

Just a little add on:
The Nux unit seems to work with less start up failure if you do not plug the signal cord into the amp until after powering on the Nux Atlantic.

Thanks
Ray DeVoe
Zum SD 10 Hybrid, Zum D 10 Hybrid, Emmons SD 10 P.P.
SMS: Revelation & Classic Preamps: Furlong 12" & 15" Splits.
Telonics 500 C: Quilter-T.T.12": Fender T.M. Twin
Ron Thompson

Bridgeton, N.J. USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2023 8:25 am     Atlantic nux

My Nux Atlantic is experiencing similar problems. It plays through amp when first connected, but if push the buttons, one at a time or both, it goes silent. Approximately 30 seconds later it makes a loud rushing noise. I'm using power supply I bought with it, changed cables and tried above suggestions but nothing worked. The warranty's expired so trash can may be next step
Roy McKinney

Ontario, OR
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2023 8:46 am    

I haven't been able to upload the software change yet. Can't get the final step to upload. It might be because of the browser I am using "Fox". So far mine has started working again. I don't use a pedal board either...NOX into my amp, no other gadgets attached.
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2023 9:52 am    

My thanks to Ray for the software/firmware update info. I did this successfully right after you posted about it. Thing is, my issues are few & far between. It will be pretty nearly impossible to assess whether the fix is effective. The unit works fine after the update -- always my first fear re: 'I should have just left it alone!'
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2023 10:47 am    

I had a NUX Atlantic. Never had this problem but I had problems with the jacks that they seemed to bind with some plugs both Switchcraft, Neutrik and Chinese. Being an ex amp tech I would suspect jack trouble at some future point.

I sold the Atlantic and then had second thoughts and was going to buy another but found a (I believe US made) new Keeley Caverns Reverb/Delay for the same price on Reverb. The jacks do not "bind" like the Atlantic.
Ray DeVoe

Hudson, FL
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2024 3:21 am     NUX Atlantic pedal - start up issue

Jon and all.

This topic has not resurfaced in quite some time. I still have the same 3 Nux units and still have the same start up issues most of the time.

I would state this about my units.

One works properly around 95 percent of the time.

One is a hit or miss pedal. Unplugging the signal cable from the front of the amp and then starting up the pedal usually works on the first try.

I have threatened to throw the 3rd pedal away a few times.
The pedal is very undependable. I usually carry this one as a spare as the other two units have specific mounting and uses. All three pedals are powered by One spot power supplies which provide around 20 the times MA's needed.

I just did another firmware update yesterday and the pedal still acts the same. There are many articles on the internet discussing this issue as its a common failure. Has anyone on here found any "fixes" for the issue.

If not, I think I will be contributing one more item to the local land fill.

Thanks
Ray DeVoe
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2024 4:04 am    

Boy, that one unit sounds like a lemon, plain & simple.
I have two but in the past year since the last post here, only one pedal board and one Nux has been in service. I'm trying to remember if there has been even one single failure since I did the firmware update. It has basically been trouble-free and it remains my favorite delay/reverb.
The one odd note is that I have never had the noise issue that other people have described, when my unit crashed. It just went silent. And was always restored by a simple power-supply plug reinsertion.
I wonder if Nux knows exactly what the problem is or if they just call it a mystery bug.
Dale McPherson

Morristown, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2024 10:02 am    

I power up the Nux and turn it on before I turn the amp on. That way…no pop when you hit the switches.
Mike Sweeney

Nashville,TN,USA
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2024 5:16 pm    

I too am experiencing "random" noises and peculiarities with my Nux Atlantic.
I was playing a gig a few nights ago and experienced a sound somewhat akin to a Huey helicopter. Then last night I noticed tone and volume changes when I turned the delay off and on.
I also tried the firmware update and couldn't finish it. I don't know if it's my pedal or their website.
I love the sound of the pedal, but I don't like random gremlins.

Hudson, FL
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2024 9:24 am     Pedal

Hi Mike /all

I finally got the pedal that I was having the most trouble with to update. It took several tries but It finally showed completed. This corrected the "sound" issues that I was having. The reverb originally worked without problem on my pedal but the delay was a different story. The longer the delay setting, the weirder it sounded. It was like the note would modulate off of the original note and then return back to the original note. I am currently using the pedal in a home music room application, and it has not failed sound wise since the update.

The startup issue has not changed on any of the pedals. Once in a while, Its taking 1 to three times of recycling the power in order for the pedals to boot up. It helps if the wire to the amp input is unplugged.

The positive of these pedals is they sound great once they boot up.

Anyone have any suggestions for an equally as good sounding delay and reverb pedal?

Thanks
Ray DeVoe
Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2024 2:30 pm    

I compared my Nux Atlantic to my Carbon Copy + Hall Of Fame combination. The Carbon Copy with HOF sounded more clear across the strings. The Nux created a more dampened tone.
I have an Ibanez analog delay mini combined with a Joyo Space Verb mini that I'm going to compare tonight.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.
Mike Sweeney

Nashville,TN,USA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2024 2:43 pm    

I have an RV-5 and a DD-5.

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2024 5:40 pm    

Comparing:
Ibanez Analog Mini Delay + Joyo Space Verb Mini
vs
Carbon Copy Analog Delay + TC Hall Of Fame Reverb
vs
Nux Atlantic

My conclusion: The slight differences in Delay between all three are not a big issue. I prefer the analogs for warmth.
The reverbs between the three is more the issue. The Atlantic reverb and Joyo Space Verb are similar. However, the variety of reverbs in the TC Hall Of Fame and its pre-delay switch is a big seller to me. The pre-delay switched to "long" allows the initial note to be more dominate. It's a very slight delay and makes the note more distinct. When switched to "short" the initial note has the reverb along with it. More like a spring reverb. When switched to "long" pre-delay, I'm able to put a tail on the reverb which gives it more of a natural reverb sound, as if you yelled into a canyon or cavern and hear the natural reverberation. The reverbs on the HOF seem more lush. I have Dan Donato's reverb toneprint downloaded into the HOF, which is similar to the sound of the Church setting, but with slight modulation. Depending on the gig venue, it gives me another reverb option and very effective on slow tunes.
My choice is the MXR Carbon Copy + TC HOF. The Ibanex Delay + Joyo Reverb and the Nux Atlantic are a toss-up for second place.
If you want to take the time to program your own reverb, you can go on line and use the TC Electronic Tone Print Editor and create your own and download it into the HOF.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.
Ray DeVoe

Hudson, FL
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2024 2:16 am     NUX Atlantic pedal

Thanks all for the info on what you are using. I guess I should have been more specific as to what I actually am looking for.

Both of my normally used Nux Atlantic pedals are sitting on small clip, or clamp on leg mounted shelves. I use some velcro to hold the pedal in place.

Im just asking if anyone has tried any other combined delay/reverb pedals. The only one I have found as of this time is the Keely Caverns unit. I really have not heard anything on how well these work.

Thanks
RD
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2024 3:46 am    

I had the Keeley Caverns on my board before I got the Nux. The basic delay and reverb sounds were fine. The feature sets were what decided me to move on to the Nux.

The two primary features that the Nux has over the Keeley are tap tempo and fractional divisions. The Nux lacks modulation on the delay that is available on the Keeley I didn't use it much and it wasn't especially well integrated in the way of, for instance, various Strymons or the TC Electronics Flashback.
My 'demands' for reverb are modest and both the Nux and the K are good enough.

If the Nux didn't exist, I'd probably still be using the K but I'd be annoyed that they had some so-so bells & whistles but didn't have what I consider to be the two most useful features for delay.
Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2024 6:17 am    

It might be too simple for your needs, but I’ve been happy with the very compact Earthquaker Dispatch Master (‘verb & delay). It has replaced two pedals for most of my playing.

https://www.premierguitar.com/gear/earthquaker-devices-dispatch-master-pedal-review

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2024 6:29 am    

The key to a "perfect" sounding reverb is it's ability to "pre-delay". Seems like most of the delays with Spring, Hall, Church, etc, sound the same. The only outstanding quality is the pre-delay which allows you to put a tail of reverb to a delay pedal and get a more realistic and quality sound. Emmons preferred not to use reverb in his live performances. Maybe because of not having a reverb with pre-delay? He always preferred delay only, likely for attack purposes. Instant reverb on your initial note looses the attack or punch to a note or chord. What I hear in my settings is the delay (350ms) with three repeats (last repeat barely noticeable and each one half the volume of my initial note or chord. Then a reverb tail. I acquired this delay setting while watching Emmons set his Echoplex many years ago. If I recall, Franklin uses reverb only, but I'd bet he uses a high end reverb pedal with pre-delay?
Also, I think the high dollar reverb pedals have a pre-delay knob to allow you to select when you want the reverb to respond after you strike a note? The TC HOF has a switch (short/long) factory set.