| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  volume pedal advice
George Biner

Los Angeles, CA
Post  Posted 22 May 2023 9:49 am    

I currently use an old Goodrich passive pedal, but the taper is not adjustable -- I don't know if it's my foot or the taper -- I'd like to try an adjustable taper -- any advice as to a less expensive (<$200) pedal, hopefully passive and adjustable taper?
Michael Hill

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2023 6:34 pm    

There's a mod where you add a 2nd pot that supposedly allows you to alter the taper. In my experience it does modify the taper but only in a small range of the volume pedal's travel.

I eventually removed the mod and just got a new pot. I believe I got the one Tom Bradshaw sells.
George Biner

Los Angeles, CA
Post  Posted 22 May 2023 7:58 pm    

Thanks, Michael, the pot already is a Bradshaw pot, works great, but I need the pedal to be less sensitive to movement, that's the "taper" I'm referring to.

I'm under the impression that adjustable taper pedals are very expensive, but ??
Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2023 8:42 pm    

Controlling the volume pedal is 1 of the hardest things for some people to learn. It takes practice to learn.

If the pivot pin is dry, A drop of oil to both sides of shaft will help. If the pedal does not move smoothly can be part of the problem.

If someone has worked on the pedal.
If the pot was not in the right position when the string is wrapped and anchored, Could be part of the problem.

You should have just a little volume with the back of pedal down on stop, Then volume going up as the front of the pedal goes down.

Take the bottom off, Watch the pot rotate. The pot should rotate about 1/2 turn (180 Degrees) with a standard factory string sleeve. If someone has changed the string sleeve to a larger sleeve will make the pedal more sensitive to movement.
Good Luck in getting this problem worked out.
George Biner

Los Angeles, CA
Post  Posted 22 May 2023 9:03 pm    

Hey Bobby:

I believe the pedal is working as it should, I replaced the pot and the string looked pretty good when I had it apart. Moves freely, no binding.

the problem I guess is when I control the pedal "normally", there is too much change in the volume, so it sounds abrupt -- so I could either get a different acting pedal or move my foot less

it is frustrating as I'm a pretty good player except for that, I just never learned how to do it right

I do see people spending big bucks on pedals, must be a reason -- I just can't justify $500 for a volume pedal

hmmm, the diameter of the string sleeve can be changed? hmmm
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 23 May 2023 2:19 am    

Although I agree with others its controlling the foot, another problem is the Pot taper. The original pot used was a modified logarithmic (audio) taper pot. Pots available now are just standard audio taper and can be a source of the problem.

There is no adjustable passive pot volume pedal that I'm aware of. The pricey Telonics pedal has selectable tapers and one that emulates the old modified logarithmic taper pot.
An alternative to the Telonics is a Hilton. I've seen them advertised for sale here on the forum for under $200. I'm not a fan of the new pots so I use a Hilton. I don't know what taper the Hilton emulates but it works for me.
Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2023 11:18 am    

Jack.

I once did a pot and volume pedal comparison, graphing the actual curves relating to pedal movement. The orignal AB or Clarostat mil-spec types had really good curves, smooth, no kink. The Telonics had that neat variety of curves, but due to the nature of the sensors, the curve wasn't perfectly smooth, probably negligible in real practice. But the Hilton was the most perfect curve of them all, perfectly log, perfectly smooth.

Brad
Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2023 9:18 pm    

The old Hilton with the built-in power supply cord had a different taper than the newer one with removable power supply.
I really like the old one much better - much smoother, to my feel and ears. In fact, I bought a Telonics pedal, and used the Old Hilton taper on the selector switch after comparing all of the available ones...(it has both Hilton tapers available, along with a number of others)
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 25 May 2023 2:02 am    

Another thing (thinking out loud), Pot Volume Pedals for 6 string guitar are 250K ohms, Pedal steel pedals are 500K ohms (470K). I wonder if that is also taken into consideration and a difference between 6 string and pedal steel pedal design.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 26 May 2023 10:18 am    

A few thoughts…

Are you sure the new pot was wired properly? Have you tried swapping the cords at the pedal and seeing what that does? Have you tried lowering the volume on the amp? Is the “taper problem” why you replaced the pot, and did it work better or worse after you changed the pot? Have you tried moving your foot farther back on the pedal?
Jonathan Shacklock

London, UK
Post  Posted 27 May 2023 1:45 am    

Donny Hinson wrote:
Have you tried moving your foot farther back on the pedal?

Yes it’s definitely worth experimenting with foot position and VP position for better control.

I wonder if a sleeve could be made (3D printed maybe) with a spiral groove of increasing depth cut for the string, to compensate for standard audio taper? Unfortunately I’m not clever enough to work out how that could be done or even if it would work in principal but I like the idea Laughing . Maybe even linear taper pots could be converted to different degrees of audio taper? Just a thought.