| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New steel purchase
Dan Neave

Queensland, Australia
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2023 3:38 pm    

Hi Members,

I am making the plunge from Australia to purchase a new steel from Mullen in Colorado and get it shipped out to Australia even though the exchange rate is high for us. I got some opportunities to play for some up and coming artists here on some good stages so want to upgrade my guitar.

My current ZB has E lowers on RKL which I have become quite comfortable with. I see the benefits to having E lowers on LKR also, but something is guiding me to get the (below) lever setup for this new guitar. Let me know what you feel are the advantages to this lever set up below (P Franklin inspired), and what are the disadvantages. I'm sure this topic has been raised in some way a million times before on the forum, but I want to keep this post specific to my question and also being honest I still find the forum website to be clunky to navigate to find the exact answer to my questions.

Here is set up I am thinking:

LKL 4 & 8 raised half step
LKR 9 lower half step / 2 lowered half and whole step

RKL 4 & 8 lowered half step
RKR 1 raised whole step / 2 raised to E / 7 raised whole step G#

I am not thinking a vertical lever or a 4th pedal as I want to restrict myself with what I have so I don't get spun out with too many options the next couple of years of playing.
My current ZB has 5 levers however having only played for 4 years I found it best to concentrate on extracting as many ideas out of the simple 3 pedals and 3 levers we mainly use to build a solid foundation for my playing, particularly in live settings.

Really appreciate your ideas on the E lower lever position advantages and disadvantages before I make this fairly large international purchase. My country has no manufacturer I can discuss pros and cons with.

Regards,

Dan
Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2023 4:19 pm    

Having the E raises and lowers on different knees is something I applaud. It allows you to lower the third of the chord in the AF position more expressively than if they're on the same side. Generally, there is no right and wrong with these things so go for what you are easy with. Also, a vertical lever is not compulsory in any jurisdiction and this forum is full of posts asking what to do with a fourth pedal Smile
Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2023 10:33 pm    

My E lowers are on RKL, raises on LKL. It's easier to keep RKL engaged with that knee and get some faux 6th stuff going with pedals up.

IMO good choice on a Mullen. I'm in Colorado so Mullens are fairly common here; I have 2 and they're my favorites.
J Fletcher

London,Ont,Canada
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2023 10:14 am    

LKR is interesting , as , to my knowledge , virtually all steel players , Paul Franklin aside , have that change on RKR . ie lowering the 2nd string to D and then to C# . I have thought of doing that too , as there would be some mechanical advantage using the left knee , as you would effectively have a longer lever . On the right knee your leg sits higher due to the volume pedal. This would let me feel that 1/2 stop better , and make the drop to C# easier . Jerry
Dennis Montgomery

Western Washington
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2023 11:43 am    

I began with my E raise/lower on the left knee (technically D raise/lower as I play extended D9). After a couple months I read somewhere about splitting them between both knees so gave that a try and have never gone back Winking

Also, you couldn't have chosen a better builder. I've had my G2 for a few years now and it remains perfect - solid as a rock tuning, smooth pedal/knee action, etc. Also, since you're in AUS, it may be important to note Mullen's are super easy to change copedents on meaning if you're so inclined you can take that on yourself...

I would mention I have the string 2/9 1/2 stop on the more common RKR position and it's very comfortable. For a more reliable hard stop, Mullen makes a half stop mechanism for about $50 that makes it very easy to dial in the exact mid point and resistance for that 1/2 step drop. I installed mine after market but I bet you could have them install it as part of your order (though I would be reluctant to have that done on LKR rather than RKR) Winking

Congrats on your future Mullen!

Hear my album, "Armistice" featuring Fender 400 on every song:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfXm8aXRTFz2Pz_GXhvmjne7lPEtsplyW

Hear my Pedal Steel Only playlist featuring Mullen G2 SD12 on covers like Candyman, Wild Horses, Across the Universe & more...
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfXm8aXRTFz2f0JOyiXpZyzNrvnJObliA
Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2023 4:35 pm    

I’d switch your RKL & LKL. Trying to feel a half-stop while working your A&B pedals (either together or individually) could be awkward.
Bengt Erlandsen

Brekstad, NORWAY
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2023 3:36 am    

Not beeing able to lower string 2 and 9 to C# while at the same time beeing able to raise E's to F is a serious disadvantage imo.

If E's to F are on the left knee one way or the other, then lowering of 2&9 needs to be on the right knee.

After that one can put other changes on the other levers where one feel they give the best results according to what musical ideas one wants to play.

( I prefer to lower 2&9 on my RKL for several reasons but Ive seen other guitars that lower 2&9 on RKR as well )

Best of luck finding the (your personal) setup that allow for easy and intuitive playing.

B.Erlandsen
Remington S10LG 3+4
Zumsteel S12extE9 7+7
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2023 4:46 am    

Two bits of advice --

-- there is no perfect setup. Every option presents positives and (but wait....then you can't do this...) negatives. Study the responses here but don't get tied up in knots. The Mullen is very user friendly so changing your mind later is not at all difficult.

-- the vertical lever (lowering 5 & 10 w/ split tuning with the A pedal) has evolved into a very heavily used change for me. I congratulate you on your restraint and wisdom in not needing/wanting a 5th lever but if I were ordering a new guitar I'd rather have it (available to be 'discovered' in its own good time) than not. And note that Mullen makes a bit of hardware, a knuckle, that allows the vert. to hang low which I consider essential (but which depends on your personal proportions.....leg length, steel height).

Take or leave my comments as you wish.
Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2023 2:28 pm    

Good idea to stick with what you are used to with regard to the E lowers ! my first guitar was a Shobud and came from the factory with the E's split between both legs - I've always stuck with that setup and it is more versatile than having both E raises/lowers on the same leg !! IMO
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
Walker Owsley

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2023 10:35 am    

The setup you listed in the OP is what I just got set up on my Emmons Legrande. It's excellent! It's the same lever setup that Paul Franklin uses (minus the vertical he has). I've really liked how smooth the transitions are when the E's are split and the 2nd string raise and lower are split. I went with it because I'm going through PF's online instructional so I wanted to be able to learn his licks as he plays them.

The only setback I've experienced within the few weeks I've had it is having the RKR raise 3 strings that close to the changer requires quite a bit of travel that takes some getting used to. There's also a lot I'm probably missing out on with other changes that these folks ^ have pointed out.

Best of luck!