| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  For Jack Smith
Reggie Duncan

Mississippi
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2004 7:37 pm    

Jack, I have brought your name up many times on this forum and the Christian Steel Message Board, telling them of the influence that your playing has had on many of us.
Would you share with us highlights of your career? I would appreciate it!
Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2004 4:12 am    

Jack, I agree with Reggie on this topic. The Happy Goodmans "Wanted Live" album recorded in St. Louis has some awesome playing, slow and fast. You sure did make a great impression me as well....Paul King
RMckee

Broken Arrow, OK
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2004 4:48 am    

I am interested as well. I didn't realize what a tremendous influence you had on my playing until I dug out the Happy Goodman "Wanted Live" album the other day and listened to it again. My teen-age children even commented about how many of your licks I had swiped! Great steel playing on the entire album.

Randy
Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2004 5:26 am    

The Goodman Band also put out an instrumental album that Jack played on that was fantastic. The Goodmans had the best band of any of the Gospel groups at that time IMHO. I think the album was called "100 Miles Outa Nashville" or something like that. Jack's version of "The Lighthouse" will make a steel players spine tingle. I hadn't thought of this album in a while, now I'm gonna have to dig it out and put it on CD. Rusty Goodman was a lap steel player in his younger days, and evidently a quite good one. Maybe this is why they always had a good band.

------------------
Darvin Willhoite
Riva Ridge Recording

Jack Smith

Phoenix, AZ
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2004 6:50 am    

Wow! Where do I start. I'll try to keep this as brief as possible.

I am a blessed man to have done the things I have done. Many of us leave home with a dream only to fall into the traps that the music business can create. I was fortunate to have a praying mom and dad that prayed that their boy would be shown favor and with that have the protecting hand to guide me through the traps.

I was born and raised in California. I started playing Hawiian steel when I was 6 and pedal steel when I was 11. When I was 13 I was doing sessions in LA and Fresno where I met The Hinsons and recorded with them. After finishing my junior year in high school I got the call to audition for The Happy Goodman Family. I was 15 at the time. My father was a preacher and California was becoming drug infested so my parents made the difficult decision to allow me to move to Kentucky. After 4 1/2 years with the Goodmans I decided to persue a career in Nashville and moved to town the week Sonny decided, after 15 years with Bill Anderson, to quit. For 5 1/2 years I was with the group I had dreamed about being with as a young player. After Bill I went to work with Ronnie Milsap, filling in when Dickey decided to move back to Texas. I worked with him only for about 9 months. I had taken the job with the conditions of only finishing out the year and then I would go back to persueing my other interests. That was the early 80's and the music business took a very hard hit and the country was in a resession. I really struggled through the early 80's working with Johnny Paycheck and gigs around town. I worked as band leader at the Stockyard Bull Pen Lounge where I met Gene Watson's manager. After The Stockyard gig ended I went to work for Gene to have money to live on while I started a business called Praise Hymn Soundtracks. The traveling to Texas was difficult and after a year with Gene it was time to stay closer to home. I got the job with Connie in 88 and with her unselfish nature she allowed me to work my business while working with her. Many times times she would set out side my office until I had finished what I was working on and then leave. The 90 brought hugh success to Praise Hymn becoming the largest soundtrack company in the world. After all that Connie had done for me it was difficult to leave her without a good replacement. Sonny Purdum became available and work with her about 5 years before having a stroke. I was called back to work with her for a couple years and then Johnny Cox called me and expressed interest. I went again to Connie with a wonderful replacement and she knew I needed to stay home. Johnny got the job and I really believed that I was through playing. The guitar went under the bed and didn't come out until Russ Hicks asked me to be a part of the Connie tribute. It was tough but felt good to play again. A few of my friends heard that I was playing again and called me for sessions. When Russ decided to focus on doing more of the steel shows I got the call again to work with Connie again and here I am. My business is as wonderful as ever and now I play for a loving not a living.

Thanks for the interest. I really tried to be brief but as I said earlier I'm a blessed man.
Jerry Horner

Tahlequah, OK, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2004 7:32 am    

Jack, do you remember a steel player by the name of Chip Horner that took your place when you left the Goodmans?

Jerry
Bob Wood

Madera, California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2004 10:03 am    

Jack, I don't know if you remember me. I played guitar on a session with you and your brother Larry at Trac Records in Fresno, Ca. a long time ago. Have you heard from Stan Anderson? The last time I checked, he was still alive, but was getting very old and I assume he was probably ready to retire, and That's been at least six or seven years ago. The Parkinsons moved back to California, and Bro. Parkinson started pastoring a church somewhere up near where you grew up. I don't know if you heard, but Sis. Parkinson passed away a few months ago. And, I'm sure you heard about Kenny Hinson. In fact, I think it was the first album that the Hinson's did for the "Calvary" label that we were there recording that day. Since I strated learning Pedal Steel, I've often wondered what had happened to you. whether you and Vicki were still together, if you were still playing, living in California, and such. Glad to have you back on the scene, and on the forum.

Bob
Jack Smith

Phoenix, AZ
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2004 11:04 am    

Jerry, I don't remember Chip. I always thought that Gary D replaced me with them. Honestly that's a black hole in time and has selective memory. If you know what I mean.

Bob, I think I do remember. Every time I think of Stan I always remember the cowboy boots turned up on the end. Funny stuff. I don't remember working with my brother in Fresno. By the way his name is Gary. You were close. He's quite successful here in Nashville as a session piano player. If you didn't know it he was the piano player on Ricky Skaggs Country Boy and since has worked on tons of the music you hear everyday.

It's really good to hear from you guys. Brings back a lot of good memories.
Reggie Duncan

Mississippi
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2004 11:24 am    

Well, that is a new one on me! I had no idea that the great Gary Smith was your brother!
Awesome!
I too thought Gary Dee replaced you with the Goodmans. Then Rabbit Easter. Of course, there could have been others for a brief time.
I thought you might have come to the Gospel Jubilee about the same time as the Hinsons. Was Kenny an awesome singer or what! I have a copy of the Hinsons version of the Lighthouse, with you on steel, ca1970.
I have had the priviledge of backing Ronnie Hinson several times and getting to play it!
The recording you did with The Hinsons on their next 2 albums was fantastic! Your intros on the song "Once Again" and "Since You Gave Me A Song" were as cutting edge as anything I had ever heard at that time.

If I were to ask you who influenced your playing the most, would you say Hughey and Rugg?

[This message was edited by Reggie Duncan on 17 June 2004 at 12:34 PM.]

Jack Smith

Phoenix, AZ
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2004 12:07 pm    

I have alot of influences all for different reasons. Probably my first and the biggest was Jimmy Day. He inspired me in 2 ways 1. to have a heart when I play and 2. not to let the music biz take control of my life. I was with Jimmy Capps at the Opry shortly after joining The Goodmans and listening to an out of tune player with horrible tone, red skraggly hair I leaned over to Capps and said with a 16's year old attitude "who's that". When he said Jimmy Day I was speechless. That was my hero and still to this day is. I vowed that night never to let this business use me up and throw me away. Hughey of course, for letting the heart have feeling. Pete Drake for playing what should be where it should be. Hal is a dear friend and I've always had an unbelievable appreciation for him, Weldon, Sonny, Paul, Buddy and my dear friend Tommy among many others and believe it or not Russ Hicks (that was for you buddy Russ). I like to think, as we all do, that we take all the influences and hopefully our sound is born.
David Wright

Pilot Point ,Tx USA.
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2004 1:42 pm    

Jack,
I know our ol and dear friend Ivan Ward was really proud of you...and your playing..I spent 4 day's with Zelpha in Dallas this year, what a great two people .. I spent a lot of time at Ivans house in Ceres, so may great memerious of him,.. we have never met that I know of but as much as Ivan talked about you I fill I do...

------------------

David's Web Page

M.S.A.

M.S.A. Millennium
S-12 9 & 6
Bb is where it's at!

Peavey-2000-PX-300

Bob Wood

Madera, California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2004 8:20 am    

Hey again Jack,

That's it..., Gary! My memory has lots of black holes in it too. You know, now that I think about it, the PSG player that worked on the album that Gary and I were playing on was Ivan Ward. Man! I've tried to think of that name for years and couldn't remember it! Thanks David! Ivan was the nicest guy. I also played a session with him and Gary somewhere around the Ceres/Modesto area at someones house there. Actually, the first PSG player I met was Jerry Short of "Jerry Short and the Countrymen". Remember them? There was also Alvis Barnett, and Denzel Alvey. They eventually broke off with Jerry and started their own Gospel Group. Alvis was quite a good Guitar player! He also wrote a song called "Be nice to the little man on your way up" (You might meet him on your way down!). Next time you talk to Gary, tell him I said Hi! He might not remember me though. I use to play a Gretch Country Gentleman, and played the Chet Atkins finger picking style! That style was real popular back then in the Gospel music field!

Bob
Jack Smith

Phoenix, AZ
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2004 11:22 am    

David, I have fond memories of Ivan Ward. Sweetheart of a man and you're right he was proud of me. He's call daddy, who still lives out there, just to ask about me.

Bob, It funny I was on the road with Jerry Short and the Countrymen when I got the call to audition for the Goodman's. We were in Lake Charles, LA. Alvis died a while back. His wife, Arlee, works at the Nashville Musician's Union office. I believe Denzel has passed away also. Last I heard Jerry is still as mean as ever.

Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2004 1:54 pm    

Jack :: Did we meet one night at Whiskey River when you were with Paycheck ?? If so I have never forgotten your rendition of What's Forever For and the conversation we had that evening. It was the time JP had a falling out with the WR management and cut the show short...dang, I hated that !! I wanted to see more of you !!

Regards, Paul

[This message was edited by Paul Graupp on 22 June 2004 at 02:55 PM.]

Jack Smith

Phoenix, AZ
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2004 5:43 am    

Paul, That was me. Back then I thought I could sing too. Believe me while with Paycheck management issues were always there. It was a great gig for a player. He made you play. Paul Justice (plays fiddle with Mel) and I were talking about when we both worked with JP. Great fun playing horrible conditions.
Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2004 11:33 am    

Thanks, Jack; for remembering !! Before I landed in Macon GA, I was an engineer for channel 5 in Raleigh NC. I was trying desperately not to starve and took every job they would offer me at the station. I worked on my D-12 Marlen til 2 AM saturdays and then got up at five to sign the station on at 6 AM. After the FCC stuff, I ran the Happy Goodman shows in video tape.

I was always dying for some sleep but I never missed a note you played...and like you said: Hard times indeed but I was having the time of my life. I only wish I'd have known that while it was happening to me and all around me !!

Regards, Paul

[This message was edited by Paul Graupp on 23 June 2004 at 12:34 PM.]

Jack Smith

Phoenix, AZ
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2004 12:25 pm    

Paul,

Hind sight is wonderful. I too would like to relive a portion of those days and enjoy them the right way. You said that you player a Marlen. Do you know if Leonard Stadler is still alive. He was the builder of Marlen Guitars. I was thinking about him the other day. What a wonderful man he wss to me. If you don't know maybe someone else can answer.
Reggie Duncan

Mississippi
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2004 2:49 pm    

Jack, I think Mr. Stadler has passed on.
Is this right:
You followed Garrish with Anderson
Mike Johnson followed you with Anderson
You followed OVerby with Millsap
What great company!
Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2004 3:37 pm    

http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum14/HTML/000936.html

Jack: Here should be a link to Leonard's passing. I'm sorry you hadn't heard and yes, he was a terrific friend of steel guitar.

Regards Paul
Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2004 3:45 pm    

http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum5/HTML/005615.html

And Jack; just in case you forgot, here is a Marlen restored by Forum member, Ricky Davis.
I think the craftsmanship of both of these experts is really obvious. Enjoy !!

Scroll down through the thread for a picture of Leonard.

Regards, Paul

[This message was edited by Paul Graupp on 23 June 2004 at 04:47 PM.]

Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2004 6:04 am    

Courtesy Bump for Jack in case he missed those last two links.
Larry King

Watts, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2004 1:16 pm    

I remember Jack very well....he doesn't remember me but I was with the Countrymen and at his Dad's church in Keyes, Ca. many times. I received a call one time from Chester Smith ( Wait A Little Longer, Please Jesus ) who wanted me to put a gospel group together to back him for some church appearances....that group consisted of me on bass, Barry Thomas on steel, Sharon McDowell on piano, and 12 yr old Gary Smith on drums. BTW, J.D.Smith was no slouch on Atkins style and part of " Land Of Many Churches", Merle Haggards gospel album , was cut at Keyes Assembly of God....pastored by J D Smith.
Jeff Hogsten

Flatwoods Ky USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2004 3:50 pm    

I may be able to shed a little light on a couple of things above, I grew up in Ky in the same pentecoastal orinazation that Howard and Vestals church was it, They held a couple of revivals in our church and stayed in our home, later when Rusty rededicated his life to the lord he held his first revival at our church so they were a great influnce on my life, when Earnie Maxwell their guitar player left I was about 19 and Earnie auditioned me for the job, I had down every lick he played and I would have had the job except they decided to go with a steel player instead and Jack got the job. We became good friends and it was his influence that started me playing steel, to this day I have have never heard a player with more soul and feeling and great taste than Jack and that includes everyone. A couple of years later I travelled with my family group the Voices Triumphant and we actually did a tv show with the Goodmans called the Happy Goodman family hour, we taped 26 shows at CBN in virginia and to this day I believe it was the best southern gospel shows ever done including the gospel jubilee but not many people saw it, The Goodmans not only had the best band of that time but there has never been a band in Gospel music that was their equal, again great taste and they were trend setters, they started it all. I was there when Jack left and he indeed was replaced by Gary D,who had been playing with the HInsons, I never heard of the other guy, when Gary left Rabbit took his place, like I said we were working with them at the time so I was there. Ill never forget the Goodmans and the infulence especially Rusty that they were on my life both spiritually and musically and although Ive never told him I dont believe Jack was the reason I started playing steel and Im sure he doesnt remember teaching me some of my first licks on a emmons student model steel in a motel room in Virginia Beech but Ill never forget,God bless you Jack and thanks for the memories

Jeff Hogsten
Bob Wood

Madera, California, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2004 7:26 am    

I guess we should open up a new topic for this, but it's funny, I'm finding that a lot of the new Country music we're hearing these days remind me so much of the Gospel music we use to make and hear back in those days. Is it just me, or do you guys hear that too?

Bob
Jack Smith

Phoenix, AZ
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2004 7:33 am    

Thanks again guys. It's quite humbling to have this kind of response to something so long ago. I, first hand, knew how hard it was to learn this instrument. "To whom much is given, much is required". I felt I was given the talent and to not pass it along would have been wrong. I hope there is no one out there who can say that they asked for help and I didn't give all that I could because I know I've tried. With all the successes that I've had there are just as many disapointments. Someday, maybe I'll have the chance to tell you those stories but for now the one thing I do know is that I'm exactly where I was meant to be and that's a wonderful feeling.

Paul, thanks for the info about Leonard. I am so sad. I really tried to play one of his guitars many years ago to help his visibility but it just wasn't what I needed.

Larry didn't Barry start building steels. I sort of remember someone telling me about about that and Gary, my brother, found his niche but still plays drums a little.

Jeff, I have so many fond memories myself. Rusty was a wonderful man as well as a genius. I have a picture of me (when I was 16) and him setting in the front of the bus, as we did so often, just talking about music. Those were the days. I really wouldn't take nothin' of my journey.