| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Wynona's last tour
Ron Sodos

San Antonio, Texas USA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2023 5:55 pm    

Does anyone know who played steel om Wynonas last memorial tour for her mother.
Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2023 8:53 pm    

I’m pretty sure it was Tommy Hannum , who has been with Wynonna for a number of years.

Hendersonville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2023 6:48 am    

Tommy for sure. I saw her show at the Bridgestone in Nashville and the last one in Murfreesboro that was just aired on tv this past weekend and Tommy sounded great as always.
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 1 May 2023 8:43 am    

There's a confusing post on Facebook that raves about 'Gary Carter with Wynona on PBS' this last weekend.

Tim should know; I guess it wasn't Gary.

I haven't heard of Tommy Hannum in a long while. I recall being thoroughly impressed by his album; this was so long ago, I had it on cassette!!!

I'm delighted that he's still active.
Pete Finney

Nashville Tn.
Post  Posted 1 May 2023 9:01 am    

Tommy is still very active, and still playing (and singing) great.

Besides doing the Wynonna gig for a long time he's played a lot with Jim Lauderdale (live and on record) over the past several years and is first-call for many of the best local club bands (at Robert's especially, but lots of other clubs too). If he's not on the road or in the studio you can find Tommy playing around town a lot.

And over the years I can't think of anyone that's been more supportive of other players. A fantastic musician and a great guy.
Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 1 May 2023 12:31 pm    

In the eighties and nineties, Tommy Hannum was the steel player/bandleader in Ricky Van Shelton's band until Ricky retired from touring. I'm sure he played Emmons guitars with Wynonna
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Bruce Bouton

Nash. Tn USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2023 8:20 am    

Tommy was my hero when I started playing steel. Jay Jessup and I would drive from Richmond to Oxon Hill to take lessons from Charlton.
Afterwards we'd go to the Shamrock in D.C. and watch Tommy Hannum play with the Rooslyn Mountain boys. He played and sang at the same time.
He's one of the most unique and exeptional players around.
Another one of Buddy Charlton's students:)

Gallatin, Tn USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2023 11:19 am    

Bruce Bouton wrote:
Tommy was my hero when I started playing steel. Jay Jessup and I would drive from Richmond to Oxon Hill to take lessons from Charlton.
Afterwards we'd go to the Shamrock in D.C. and watch Tommy Hannum play with the Rooslyn Mountain boys. He played and sang at the same time.

My hero as well Bruce. Tommy was a huge influence on me! He was most generous with his time, he would always patiently answer any dumb ass question I would ask. Great guy!

I first met Tommy in the early 80's when he was with the Jeannie Seely band down on the Alley at Jeannies Place wich was the "Sheriffs" old place previously.

Totally blown away by his playing, showmanship, and things he did with the steel, manipulation of the tone bar, etc., the laws of physics do not apply to Tommy Hannum! Ha!

Fabulous vocalist as well, and the man can also wear a 6 string guitar slap out!
NTSGA #3

"Practice cures most tone issues" ~ John Suhr
Jay Jessup

Charlottesville, VA, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2023 9:13 am    

Bruce Bouton wrote:

Bruce, are you sure that wasn't the Italian Gardens in College Park where we went to hear RMB? Either way those were good days, if we drank too much we'd stay at your parents house and if we didn't we'd talk steel all the way back to Richmond.
A few years later when I was living in the DC area I ran into Tommy right after my girlfriend and I had been kicked out of our house. Tommy said "come over and move into to my house" or words to that effect. Best house I lived in while playing in the DC area. It wasn't too long after that Tommy took off to Nashville.

By the way Roger R, that cassete of Tommy's was called "It's not Rocket Science" I've got one too!!
Bruce Bouton

Nash. Tn USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2023 12:27 pm    

Jay,

i'm pretty sure that the main place we went was the Shamrock on M st. Of course, at my age I could be totally confused:)
When Tommy came to nashville he lived at my place for awhile.

An incredible , original and unique player!