| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Music Room Setup
Bud Harger

Belton, Texas by way of Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2023 3:26 pm    

I am asking for advice on a simple set-up to play back rhythm tracks for "play-along" practice.

Available equipment for playback:

Laptop Computer with: (1) VLC Software and (2) Music files, including Instruction and Rhythm Tracks, (3) powered USB hub.

Separate Guitar Amplifier

Extension speaker, unpowered

What interface do you recommend? I have an Edirol 25 interface that has suddenly quit working. Searching for a simple set-up to get back to practicing.

Thanks for your help. (Posted under ELECTRONICS also)

1969 Emmons D-10 8f/4k; Evans Amps.
J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2023 4:42 am    

Since GOOD QUALITY rhythm tracks have become so available, and for FREE, notably on youtube (often showing the chords as it plays) and iRealPRO becoming a universally accepted practice tool… playing to tracks has indeed become so much easier and enjoyable.

I am not a big fan of stage amps (eg. Session 500, Nashville 400) high power amps in a room. Just like big engines, they just don’t seem to “develop” right at “room-volumes”.

The best home-practice sound I got even on C6th is with a little VOX AdioAIR GT “handbag” amp (Yamaha has something similar “THR30”). I’ve set it up hanging under my LapTop stand right in front of me. While it has Bluetooth track mix-in available, I get a much better sound with a separate Bose Bluetooth SoundBar on the floor in front of the pedal bar, facing up (comes with a little remote control and happily connects to the computer’s BlueTooth sound for the tracks and tutorials.

I bother less neighbors and family, and find myself immersed in a near “record”-like sound.
A practice room should be sound-treated and free of ceiling fans.

My son uses a Bose SoundBar over his electronic piano as well. Same result.

Bigger is not always better. Just close and nicely “sourrounding” wide stereo. It’s a blast!

Another option are the Boss WazaAIR Bluetooth head phones. I use them a LOT, and they are part of my vacation “rig”, but they are “addictive”.

… JD

Was it JFK who said: Ask Not What TAB Can Do For You - Rather Ask Yourself "What Would B.B. King Do?"

A Little Mental Health Warning:

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.
Larry Thomas

California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2023 6:42 pm     Music room

Check out the spark amp. It’s a smart amp, great for practice, Bluetooth, 40 watts, and very small. It also has built in effects, and impairs with your iPhone.
Bud Harger

Belton, Texas by way of Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2023 11:06 am     Thanks, Larry.

I switched to Powered Bluetooth Speakers.

All is good.

bUd

1969 Emmons D-10 8f/4k; Evans Amps.
Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2023 9:20 am    

For cover songs.
https://chordify.net/
Brandon Swanson

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2023 6:58 am    

Anyone out there with a Mac might benefit by downloading a program called QLab. Here's a link - https://qlab.app/download/

Qlab will play audio or video files, you can easily chose where the song starts and stops, you can have it loop as many times as you want up to infinity, you can adjust the playback speed while preserving the pitch and the program is really easy to use. I made a little video of a quick guide how to use QLab - https://photos.app.goo.gl/gUB4j4VUHZtZy2QL6

Also, I have this little yamaha MG06X Mixer that works great for practicing and it only costs around $150. The mixer has a little reverb or delay in it, I run my guitar through a DI, into a mic input and then send that to the effects. the laptop can plug into the line inputs and bam, you have a pretty ok practice rig for just a couple hundred bucks. a whirlwind IMP DI is cheap and would work just fine for this setup.

I hope this helps and hopefully QLab helps you as much as it's helped me.

Brandon