| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  String coming back sharp after being lowered and clicking
J. David Carrera

Los Angeles, CA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2023 3:46 pm    

Hi, I'm having problems with 4th string on my Show Pro.

The 4th string comes back sharp after being lowered. It returns to the correct pitch once it is raised with the C pedal or F lever. It also makes a slight clicking sound and you can feel it in the lever. Along with that there is a slight clicking feeling and sound when using the C pedal.

Does anyone any idea what could be causing this? I've tried changing the string, I'm also pretty sure that it's not overtuned.

Any help is much appreciated.
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2023 5:16 pm    

If it is set up with too much slack before Nylon tuner hits finger, and there is some threads showing on the rod between nylon and finger...you will get a rubbing/clicking from those threads going into the finger hole. I also take the little Raise Spring off the 4th string simply for that reason the 4th string will come back sharp after lowered. So important timing spring tension and spring importance. "sorry I'm nerding out; I do this for a living".
Ok to get rid of rod threads filing into finger hole from slack. turn nylon tuner clockwise until you see nylon touch finger; but not push finger. Now engage that pedal and now you will be traveling too far; so adjust the stop screw closer to the pedal raise so it stops now at your preferred note. Ok now you got rid of slack(make sure you see slack before doing this). Also you can just unhook the raise spring from bracket(little spring next to body attached to raise side) and if you can't unhook it from finger; it's ok; it won't get in the way. So now if you do that; your lower will lower too far...so if there is no slack on that lower nylon hitting finger...turn stop screw clockwise to stop at preferred note..and now you probably will see the weird in-between E note go AWAY....yeeehaaa...
Ok if none of that works; I have 4 more ways to fix your prob......ah...ha.... Yes there are many ways to fix the same prob....after working on these for over 30 years.
Ricky
J. David Carrera

Los Angeles, CA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2023 10:21 am    

Ricky Davis wrote:
If it is set up with too much slack before Nylon tuner hits finger, and there is some threads showing on the rod between nylon and finger...you will get a rubbing/clicking from those threads going into the finger hole. I also take the little Raise Spring off the 4th string simply for that reason the 4th string will come back sharp after lowered. So important timing spring tension and spring importance. "sorry I'm nerding out; I do this for a living".
Ok to get rid of rod threads filing into finger hole from slack. turn nylon tuner clockwise until you see nylon touch finger; but not push finger. Now engage that pedal and now you will be traveling too far; so adjust the stop screw closer to the pedal raise so it stops now at your preferred note. Ok now you got rid of slack(make sure you see slack before doing this). Also you can just unhook the raise spring from bracket(little spring next to body attached to raise side) and if you can't unhook it from finger; it's ok; it won't get in the way. So now if you do that; your lower will lower too far...so if there is no slack on that lower nylon hitting finger...turn stop screw clockwise to stop at preferred note..and now you probably will see the weird in-between E note go AWAY....yeeehaaa...
Ok if none of that works; I have 4 more ways to fix your prob......ah...ha.... Yes there are many ways to fix the same prob....after working on these for over 30 years.
Ricky

Ricky thanks for the reply. It's possible that I have the return spring too tight. I will try that and report back.