| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  WTB early Twin Reverb in Michigan
Brett Hansen

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2022 12:27 pm    

Shipping has become so expensive and dangerous that I don't want to consider it. I'm looking for a nice pre master volume Twin Reverb in Michigan. Really would like a drip edge variant. WOULD consider other pre master Fenders, just not the huge Dual Showman with 2x15 it's as big as a fridge and just as heavy.[/list]
Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2022 12:04 pm     Re: WTB early Twin Reverb in Michigan

Brett Hansen wrote:
Shipping has become so expensive and dangerous that I don't want to consider it. I'm looking for a nice pre master volume Twin Reverb in Michigan. Really would like a drip edge variant. WOULD consider other pre master Fenders, just not the huge Dual Showman with 2x15 it's as big as a fridge and just as heavy.[/list]

Brett, be aware that unless the seller can provide proof of full service within the last 15 years or so it will need to have the filter and bias capacitors replaced, a full checkup and the power tubes rebiased.

Any amp without that should not even be turned on - it should sound fine AFTER service. But powering up an amp with old caps can blow one or more of them AND the power transformer - a very expensive "test".

It can happen without warning - a great sounding amp can go "poof!". If one you buy has service proof, great - but if not figure on spending another $200-450 and take it DIRECTLY to your amp tech. If you don't have an amp tech, find a professional tech shop - and if the tech says "oh, those old caps are fine!" it's the wrong tech!.

Also, replacement of original tubes is rarely needed; I'm running originals in my 6 Showman. Periodic tube replacement is a sles thing started by Groove tubes and New Sensor....
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional
Brett Hansen

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2022 3:30 pm    

Thanks Jim, all good advice for sure. I have a great tech about an hour away I use, he says all those same things.
Adam Aymor

Michigan
Post  Posted 3 May 2023 3:53 pm    

I don’t have a twin available but I have two similar-ish amps that I would consider letting go if you happen to have any interest. A 1978 Peavey Mace 2x12 and a very early Peavey deuce 1x15 w/ EV SRO (all solid state before the power amp section was tube).