| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Franklin Pedal Tuning
James Simiele

Oneida, New York
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2023 2:33 am    

I tune my open 1,4,5,7,8,10 to 441 Hz and my 3,6 at 438 Hz. My franklin on P4, I'm not sure what Hz to use on the lower of the 5,10 from B to A and the 6 from G# to F#. Should my 6th string lower to F# be the same as the open F# on string 7 (at 441) or something else? And should my 5 and 10 lower from B to A be the same as the raise on 3 and 6 (which I have at 439 Hz)?
Dale Rivard

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2023 7:30 am    

Hi James, Here's my take on it: I tune my 6th string lower to F#(Franklin pedal) flatter than the open 7th string F#. Here's why: Many times when I use the Franklin pedal, I'm playing strings, 4, 5 & 6, 5, 6 & 8, 6, 8 & 10 or 4, 6 & 10. With that 6th string lowered in combination with strings 5 & 10 lowered a whole tone, that chord just sounds sweeter when the 6th string is flattened slightly. I tune mine around 438. For the 5th & 10th string lowers from B to A, I find tuning those by ear works well. With those 2 notes now lowered to A, they become the root notes against strings 4 & 8(both E notes but now the 5th of the chord). If you play strings 4 & 5 or 5 & 8 and 8 & 10 together, it's fairly easy to hear the beats between those notes. They should sound pure(no beats) when they're in tune. I tune mine by ear so I'm not sure where they read out on a tuner. Unless your steel has a fair bit of cabinet drop, 439 might be a little flat. You may want to start around 440 and go from there.
James Simiele

Oneida, New York
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2023 8:01 am     Franklin Pedal Tuning

Thanks Dale. Exactly what I was looking for. I thought tuning the F# flat (below the open F# at 441) would work well since I have tried it, and it sounded good. I'll continue to work on the A lowers on 5 and 10 by ear.