| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Removing "refinish" from factory finish?
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2023 8:01 am    

Ok, so this question is not exactly limited to pedal steels, but is certainly applicable, and I am sure a few guys here have done it.. Is there any reliable way to remove an amateur applied finish, from the factory finish of a wood body instrument without destroying it?
I seem to recall reading about it here a few times.. I have a "refinished" electric guitar, thats been amateur repainted in a burnt orange/brown, and it looks ok I guess, but underneath I found the guitar originally was a lovely what looks to be Olympic White or similar.. any technique I am unaware of that might get the top layer of paint off without destroying the original, but probably harder, better sealed and better protected original finish?.... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
John Hyland

South Australia
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2023 12:34 pm    

Theoretically yes. Say the original was a polyurethane and the amateur was nitro cellular you could dissolve the top finish. But this is an unlikely scenario and as you say the top finish is likely to be polyurethane. The only way I think would be to take both finishes back to the natural (wood) and refinish. Happy to be advised otherwise.
Garry Vanderlinde

CA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2023 3:27 pm     It can be done!

I've had some luck removing 2 coats of non-original paint using denatured alcohol and razor blades. Working very, very, very slowly! Original blonde finish had been painted over first with a coat of white, and then a coat of brown. I feel extremely lucky. My brother, Dave Vanderlinde, who owns String Theory instrument repair in Boca Raton, Fl did all the incredible work Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

non-original brown paint:

paint removal in process:

original blonde restored: