| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Will Van Horn, new album out
Ben Thomas

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2023 7:38 am    

I did a search and didn’t see anyone mention the new Will Van Horn album called San Luis Pass, released on Feb 23rd, 2023. 9 songs totaling 31 minutes of melodic pedal steel with a great rhythm section of drums and bass. If you enjoyed his EP I highly recommended this new album. I don’t know of anything else out there like what Will is doing. I don’t know Will and have no affiliation with him or his music, other than as a listener who enjoys it.

https://willvanhorn.bandcamp.com/album/san-luis-pass
Bryce Van Parys

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2023 12:58 pm    

It's not "country" buy I kind of love it.

Double bass, Mike Lull V4, G&L SB2 electric bass, Stratocaster, Telecaster, Les Paul, Martin D18GE,
Ben Thomas

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2023 1:05 pm    

I’m happy to hear someone that shows off how broad the instrument can be, and still be really good. I believe PSG can work in any genre, and will cite Paul’s work on the Dire Straits tour and Travis Toy’s work on Andy Wood’s live album as great examples of masters of the instrument doing excellent non-country things with it. In the case of Will’s EP and album, I think he’s charting new territory while playing what I think is C6 neck on most of his songs. Not only non-county, but it’s non-jazz and non-swing. Not sure what to call it but I definitely like it.
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2023 3:21 pm    

I'm ULtra proud of Will; I've known him from the start. I personally make 4 times more than any "Country music steel player"; by creating these interesting feels and sounds and melodic creative dynamic music with my steel guitar; on many many Major Motion picture Sound-Tracks. I'm on most Richard Linklater Movie soundtracks the last 18 or so years(I've only seen a couple of them "Bernie &
A Scanner Darkly); cause Most my work is done scoring scenes with Music/soundtrack Composer. Many sounds you would never know it was me on steel guitar.
BUT YES I also play Country music and I CAN play country music and so can Will...he is as good as it gets with any form of music he creates and I'm a huge advocate of that from a steel player as you get a LOT MORE work that way; were you can create ANY-music form; and is very rewarding for the player.
Ricky
Bryce Van Parys

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2023 12:03 pm    

My comment was a little Tongue in Cheek reference to a previous thread. ( I bought the album to support) I love steel in all genres! And Will is definitely a pioneer for some new fresh ideas. We definitely need some youngsters applying steel wherever they can!

Double bass, Mike Lull V4, G&L SB2 electric bass, Stratocaster, Telecaster, Les Paul, Martin D18GE,
Ben Thomas

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2023 3:22 pm    

Bryce Van Parys wrote:
My comment was a little Tongue in Cheek reference to a previous thread. ( I bought the album to support) I love steel in all genres! And Will is definitely a pioneer for some new fresh ideas. We definitely need some youngsters applying steel wherever they can!

Hahaha, I’m laughing because I missed the tone completely.
W. Van Horn

Houston, texas
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2023 7:04 am    

Ben and Bryce, thanks for checking out the album and the kind words.

This record is 95% c6 - there's about 30 seconds of E9, and the title track was recorded on A9(baritone e9).
So, is it still "not country" if it's all c6? I wonder what Jonny Lam would think...I'm always wondering what Jonny Lam thinks.

And thank you to Ricky - when I was first starting out I couldn't find anyone in SE TX who would give me lessons, but Ricky would let me come early to soundchecks so I could bug him about PSG. He always had a Jedi answer to my questions which I'd have to figure out over a couple months. There's a few I'm still trying to figure out.
Josh Moss

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2023 11:03 am    

I really liked the first e.p. of Will's. This one is really cool, as well.
Fender Silverface Twin
Peavey Nashville 400