| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Dirty Tube Works pots
Dan Rollans

Little Rock, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2023 9:09 am    

Hey fellas, I need some good advice. I’m hoping to revive one of my past rack rigs.
I have a modified TubeWorks blue tube preamp, RealTube Reverb, and both small and large TubeWorks power amps. They sounded awesome back in the day. As usual, the pots began to get dirty and pop loudly when adjusted.
How can I clean these pots and eliminate the noise? Can it be done without taking pots apart? What is my best solution?
Thank you in advance !
Dan Rollans @ Steelers Choice
Ken Morgan

Midland, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2023 9:38 am    

I’ve got the BlueTube II pre that was having the same issues. Contacted Andy from Mesa Boogie who designed many of the Genz Benz things (and Mosvalve guru) who advised most controls can be cleaned with a small amount of Caig or Deoxit, but use very sparingly, cleaning up excess immediately after spray.

He also warned me that some components of those preamps are long out of production and availability.

Ken Morgan
Midland, TX
Dan Rollans

Post  Posted 26 Feb 2023 9:40 am     TubeWorks

Good advice. I will contact him this week.
Thank you
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2023 10:36 am    

I have a lot of Tube Works stuff. It's what I use and swear by to this day.

This is a common problem with these units especially if they've been sitting for a long time or the controls have just not been moved. This was the greatest weakness of the BK Butler line.

The quality of the pots are just not the greatest but, I've only had one unit that became unusable due to the pots.

Sometimes just rotating them back and forth several times will clean them up. I'm talking a bunch of times over and over. I would try that. I have used Deoxit on them, problem is the pots are enclosed and it's difficult to get the fluid into the wipers etc. Sometimes, depending on the unit and the pots condition, replacing the pots is the only cure.

I was able to source a few aftermarket pots several years ago. These are 90 degree legs and had to be straightened out and the legs filed down to fit the PCB. I may still have some of those if you need them.

I also pulled the covers and made up a list of the values of all the pots for the different units which I can send you or post here.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2023 12:16 pm    

If the pots are sealed and you can’t remove the covers, then the only thing you could try before replacing the pots is to turn the pot shaft very rapidly, from stop to stop, about 30-40 times. (Do this with the amp turned off!)

Sometimes, this will fix the problem.
Dan Rollans

Post  Posted 26 Feb 2023 12:19 pm     Pots

Thank you fellas
I’m going to give this all a try. Hopefully it will work.
Willie Sims

PADUCAH, KY, USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2023 12:15 pm    

try to get some alcohol run down the control shaft,takes some time ,but it works some time.I US A NEEDEL FILLED WITH DENATURED ALCOHOL.
Dan Kelly

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2023 2:09 pm    

Donny!

Thanks for the tip about fixing the volume pots by "exercising" them. I moved each volume pot shaft, as you said, 30 to 40 times very rapidly. Your suggested fix eliminated any scratchiness and regained sensitivity and volume level accuracy.

THANKS!