Tommy Everette

Whitakers, NC
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2023 6:27 pm    

Delete

Last edited by Tommy Everette on 2 Mar 2023 11:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2023 6:23 am    

I'd use three strips, one in the middle and one along each edge. The "Red" 3-M trim tape (found in auto supply stores) holds best, and remember to clean the surface of the fretboard and the guitar with alcohol or naptha before you start.
Barry Coker

Bagley Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2023 3:10 pm    

Cleaning is #1 Remember new Glue won't stick to old dry loose glue and hold.

Good luck
Barry

Texas
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2023 6:27 pm    

I like to place tooth picks under the fretboard along the length of the neck with the ends poking out so I can remove them. Then I get the changer end lined up perfectly and remove the toothpicks as I work towards the keyhead. Same thing as using dowels to position laminate before the contact cement bonds.
Larry Ball

Airdrie, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2023 9:11 am    

I just recently purchased a fretboard from Tom Bradshaw for my Sho~Bud. The introductions he provided for its installation were extremely informative. The key for lining up the board was to spray the adhesive back with “Windex” so when you place the board on the “Clean Surface” it will slide around which then allows you to line it up perfectly. Then wipe the water residue off allowing the fretboard to dry and attach firmly to the neck..

Los Angeles, California USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2023 1:27 pm    

You don’t need toothpicks to facilitate fine tuning the fretboard location. Use the same technique you use when applying golf grips.
With old-fashioned carpet two sided tape or other old fashioned tape, apply the tape to the fretboard and moisten with naphtha. The tape will be slippery for a minute so you can slide it around until you are pleased with its location. The solvent will evaporate and the tape will stick.
Newer two-sided tapes for golf grips are thinner and activated with something that is more environmentally friendly or some tapes actually activate with water. These tapes stick in about about thirty seconds.
You can buy the golf grip tape by the roll in either one inch or two inch widths, or single pieces to set a single grip. The single pieces are about two inches wide and slightly longer than a golf grip—so eight inches? You may use four grips worth of tape to safely cover a single fretboard with tape left over for mistakes.