| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Beginner Question on Sho-Bud Maverick
Brant Colbry

Summerville, SC
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2023 5:15 am    

I am currently in the market for a pedal steel guitar. I came across a Craigslist add for a Sho-Bud Maverick pedal steel with one knee lever (I think, see the pictures) and three pedals. This thing looks like it has not been used in quite awhile but I’m unsure if it would make for a good beginner instrument to get me started. I have heard from other forum threads that some of these Maverick steels could come with one knee lever while other versions did not come with the option of a knee lever. This particular one looks like it has one knee. Would it be possible to add additional knees? Would having only one knee lever hinder any learning in the beginner stages?

I am hoping that some of you could provide some opinions on this steel. Has anyone played one of these in the past that could offer up some comments?

Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2023 5:46 am    

What you have here is the last iteration of the Maverick, with vinyl body wrap and ashtray tuning cluster. Absolutely usable as a beginning but VERY little more than that, it depends on your objectives.

I played an earlier, no-knees lacquer Maverick for a lot of years when what money I had went to feed the family, then found a Pro I with two knees and got a lot more mileage out of that one too.

The MAJOR difference is the mechanics. Like a few other entry level instruments, the Maverick has the absolute least costly mechanism possible, thus attempting to add more levers would be an exercise in futility.

If you are serious about pursuing competency on the pedal steel guitar you would be better served to spend a wee bit more on an instrument that can be upgraded or at least hold some value down the road. If you are simply curious then this might be just the ticket, as ALL of the basics can be learned and refined on a Maverick. You won't be able to copy every riff you hear, but 3+1 is enough to play real music with authority, and it still has the same ShoBud pickup as the big boys.

Pay no more than $600 or so (they were about $300 new in the late 1970's and early '80's) and you know this version IS screaming ugly, right?

Good luck and welcome to the affliction, if you don't quit picking that thing it'll never heal.

Last edited by Dave Grafe on 18 Feb 2023 5:59 am; edited 2 times in total
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2023 5:55 am    

Ditto to everything that Dave said.
I'll add -- nothing in the big picture counts if it does not play. You need to find out if the pickup works, if the tuners are ok, and most importantly, if the changer moves freely. If the seller is not willing or able to say this in the ad, then you need to assess it for yourself or, far better, bring someone with you to check it out.
Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2023 6:00 am    

Keep your eyes on this page daily for good used instruments from folks who know.

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewforum.php?f=9
Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2023 7:39 am    

What Dave said ++++.

If a steel guitar ends up on CL,or a pawnshop, or a music store that doesn't carry new steels (and most don't), it's most likely not been cared for or else played to death. Chances are excellent that it'll need a lot of expensive work and you'll likely spend as much or more than you would getting one that's right from the start.

Although it's true that a Maverick-- and some of the Fender-branded 3+1's Sho-Bud made-- will get you started, it won't get you very far. There's no way to get around it; a good steel will cost some fairly heavy bux. Winking
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2023 9:40 am    

You never mentioned price so I can't respond to value. This particular model has been selling anywhere from $600 to near $1000. Certainly Dave above has great comments.

Many here began on the early issue Mavericks with 3+1, including me, it can and will teach you the first "season" basics ,which is what the 3 Peds do, up and down the fretboard, which is not to be taken lightly, its a requirement and may take you the better part of a year. With that comes the common and typical chord "grips" which are intervals. Also a requirement. Additionally you will get familiar with holding the bar, a thumb pick , two finger picks and the almighty use of the volume pedal. All is fundamental.

While 3 pedals and 1 Knee lever may be limiting, it is limiting MUSIC WISE, not learning the fundamentals. When you grow into a more configured instrument, it is AFTER the basics mentioned above, Season One !

There are many new students who cannot master the basics, for whatever the reason, so 3+1 is irrelevant. Once you are comfortable with the basics mentioned above, the next normal progression would be to step up to a more configured instrument which is more knee levers, because now you will know WHY you are stepping up.

For your reference, a strong configured E9th Pedal Steel has 3 Pedals and 4 or 5 knee levers.

3 + 1 is a foundation if the price is right.

tp

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2023 2:48 pm    

The pickup looks “iffy”, but if it’s okay, the guitar ay be worth $600-800. Prices are way up now, and aren’t likely to go down much. That makes finding anything playable under a grand a real chore.

The “good ol’ days are gone …forever”. Cool
Larry Jamieson

Walton, NY USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2023 6:49 am    

I had a student learning steel once who had that variety of Maverick. It was a constant battle to keep it in tune, and to have the pedals stay in tune. My advice, spend a little more, get a better, more modern guitar.
K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2023 7:32 am    

The usual configuration for that knee lever is it lowers string two from an E flat to a D and lower string eight from E-Eb. Those strings are held up to pitch by a counter spring, which is then released with the use of that lever.
I don’t wanna go down a rabbit hole with you, but there could be a way to add a knee lever to raise the fourth string to F but you have to be kind of clever and be able to tune the note underneath the guitar with a stop.
If you know nothing at all about pedal steel and mechanics, this could be a daunting task. A lot depends on how much they want for this Maverick. You could get a very basic but expandable, higher quality guitar from Justice guitars, or the Growler by Hudson. Look them up and then compare how much they want for this Maverick. It would be great if you knew somebody who knew something about pedal steel guitar who could put hands on and really help you.
Learning can sometimes be a painful process, financially, physically, and mentally. Pretty much everybody on this forum has been through something like that.
KEVIN MAUL: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Donner, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2023 7:49 am    

Listed 17 days ago at $1,000 or best offer .
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2023 7:50 am    

Walk away. Whoa!
Erv
Jimmie Hudson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2023 9:28 am     Growler

Buy a Growler pedal steel.
www.growlersteelguitars.com
Bryce Van Parys

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2023 1:06 pm    

Good for a beginner who doesn't want to go "all the way" or spend the time necessary to work up to a high performance proficiency, but want's to make cool PSG sounds and basic licks. All the notes are in there, just not in the most efficient way. The biggest problem is the lack of an f lever and ability to modify this guitar to get all the necessary changes. I had one for a couple of months. The sound was good, and it stayed in tune. But since I couldn't get all of the changes, and realized it could not be modified, I moved it on to someone who would appreciate it for what it is. If you are going to practice seriously and with the intent of playing out, or just getting all the possibilities out of that particular instrument, I would recommend a different starter like a Carter, Growler, etc....

Double bass, Mike Lull V4, G&L SB2 electric bass, Stratocaster, Telecaster, Les Paul, Martin D18GE,
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2023 4:27 pm    

Bryce Van Parys wrote:
Good for a beginner who doesn't want to go "all the way" or spend the time necessary to work up to a high performance proficiency, but want's to make cool PSG sounds and basic licks. All the notes are in there, just not in the most efficient way. The biggest problem is the lack of an f lever and ability to modify this guitar to get all the necessary changes. I had one for a couple of months. The sound was good, and it stayed in tune. But since I couldn't get all of the changes, and realized it could not be modified, I moved it on to someone who would appreciate it for what it is. If you are going to practice seriously and with the intent of playing out, or just getting all the possibilities out of that particular instrument, I would recommend a different starter like a Carter, Growler, etc....

I'd agree with most of that, Bruce, except for the part about not being able to be modified. Adding a lever or two would make this guitar fairly complete as far as changes go, and it's not that difficult if you have some mechanical ability. Also, Buddy Charleton played with Tubb back in the 1960's for years without an "F" lever, and I still occasionally play a Fender 400 with 8 strings and no levers. Cool
Jim Arnold

Texas USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2023 10:37 am     Maverick

Get on YouTube, look up Sho~Bud Maverick. This will give you a good idea what can be played on one.
Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2023 10:58 am    

Quote:
Get on YouTube, look up Sho~Bud Maverick. This will give you a good idea what can be played on one.

I recently purchased a late version Maverick strictly for nostalgic reasons since my first steel 30 or so years ago was a Maverick. I wanted to see what a Maverick could do with someone that had more experience. I peeled off the wrap, assembled it (it was in pieces when I bought it) and replaced a couple of broken fingers. They are cheap and probably the most hated ShoBud out there, but they still can make music. I'm hacking away on it and just spewing random licks in the video below! LOL!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgyxtMJ1uqI

Quote:
I'd agree with most of that, Bruce, except for the part about not being able to be modified. Adding a lever or two would make this guitar fairly complete as far as changes go, and it's not that difficult if you have some mechanical ability. Also, Buddy Charleton played with Tubb back in the 1960's for years without an "F" lever, and I still occasionally play a Fender 400 with 8 strings and no levers.

yep! Agreed, and I LOVE my Fender 400 with no levers and three pedals! Very Happy
Bryce Van Parys

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2023 12:37 pm    

I agree Donny, it is possible to modify but I guess I would say not very practical. The more I thought about what would be involved, the more I thought the time could be invested better in moving on to another steel. The one I had played and sounded great, but to do over again I would start with a more standard Emmons 3+3 set up as a minimum

Double bass, Mike Lull V4, G&L SB2 electric bass, Stratocaster, Telecaster, Les Paul, Martin D18GE,
Jim Arnold

Texas USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2023 3:27 pm    

Dave, your YouTube video with the maverick was the one I had in mind. Gary Carpenter has one posted as well. I don't think there's a Maverick on the planet worth $1000.00. But, they can do a lot in the right hands, and everyone has to start somewhere.
Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2023 4:17 pm    

I paid $350 for it…I would have passed if the price was any higher.
Tim Harr

Dunlap, Illinois
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2023 4:15 pm    

If it is set up like the one I had

You have to approach the tuning like Lloyd Green... no lower on 4 (E to D#). You have to use string 2 to get that change.

Mullen G2 D-10 (9p/5k)
Retired, US Army Band (Steel/Dobro/Guitar)
Kemper Profiler / LW 89