| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  NYXL strings?
Landon Johnson

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2023 9:19 pm    

OK, so been playing SIT Emmons strings on all my steels - Carter, BMI, Justice, GFI... now I have a Williams that specs a .012 3rd string so I decided to try the NYXL as recommended by others, including the previous owner.

They were the strings on the guitar when I bought it and they sounded fantastic! Till I changed them...

Turns out the 7th .024 string was far weaker than the others. I replaced it with a SIT spare .024 and all is well now. I will replace with another NYXL when I change strings again.

Has anyone else had issues with a single string being far weaker than the rest? Not a good first impression...

Thanks!

Danville, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2023 11:32 pm    

I’ve used the NYXL strings on E9 and C6 for a few years now and I’ve never ran into an issue like that with them.

On a side note, one time I broke a 3rd string right out of the pack and I contacted D’Addario and they sent me a replacement set free of charge. It might be worth it to contact their customer service department for a replacement set.

Henrietta, Tx
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2023 6:32 am    

I’ve never had a problem with them until recently. I put a set on and the high E was a dud. I’m going to contact Daddario and see if they’ll send another set. I ordered 3 sets and am curious about the others.
Roy Carroll

North of a Round Rock
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2023 7:47 am    

I use them in the PF custom set, Never had a issue at all, one time I received a set that did not have a 6th string in it. I cut the color code off the box and keep it in my stool for reference if needed. However, I ordered several singles that I carry (no color code on those, only the sets)

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2023 9:09 am    

Not NYXL's, but George L's. I've been using SIT Sho-Bud gauges as George L's discontinued selling strings. I had one last set of George L's and decided to use then, The .011 3rd string was a dud and low volume.
Larry Ball

Airdrie, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2023 9:25 am    

I have also been using them for many years on all my guitars “Steel and Six String”.

Never a problem. Great sound and durability.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2023 11:55 am    

Same here, been using them for years and love them.

You should reach out to Daddario. Like Avery said, their customer service is excellent. I had two D fiddle strings break on fresh sets years ago, back to back. Emailed them and they sent me four new D strings for free. Only problem I've ever had with them and was more than happy with how they handled it.

2021 MSA Legend XL S10 5X6 brown burst
Beard Josh Swift Sig, the purple one
Lap King Rodeo
Milkman 1/2&1/2 and a bunch of fiddles
Dave Campbell

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2023 9:57 am    

i use nyxl strings. the gauges are perfect for my emmons, but don't work for my sho bud.

every once in a while i get a bum string, but not solely with the nyxl strings.
Patrick Timmins

Seattle
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2023 6:15 pm    

I started trying to use them when I received a PP guitar that had them on and I liked the sound. I started buying them but around one out of three packs had a bum string in the pack. 5 different wound strings had a weird wrap problem where the octave harmonic would play up to an inch away from the 12th fret. Impossible to tune or use due to the intonation issue. I have stayed away from them since I had 2 packs in a row with a bum string. I even spent $17 to ship them back to them to investigate the issue. They eventually replaced them a month or so later but I was still out shipping and another 3 packs that I couldn't use due to the same problem. I didn't get any good customer service vibes from them.... I also recommend to my customers to not use them due to the quality control issue and will only install them if they are requested specifically. I hate the thought of pulling out a spare and that being bad too. Too risky to use. I have settled on the GHS Cryogenic Americana strings. The only other bum string I have had out of the pack was a regular GHS that had a bump (overwound) on a string, but it still played. To be fair, I don't think I have ever had a bad regular guitar string from D'Addario with the exception of a poorly wrapped ball. I do use a lot of their regular guitar strings, just not for pedal steel.