| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Shoulder/neck pain after day of RKL
Bill McCloskey

Post  Posted 4 Feb 2023 7:59 am    

Yesterday I was practicing a lot with the RKL lever and last night and this morning I have pretty intense pain on my upper left shoulder through the neck. Taking aspirin and stretching and hot baths. Anyone else have this problem? Any warm up exercises or tips to make sure it doesn't happen again? Sitting at the steel today, there is pain when I engaged RKR. Of course I'm doing a lot of AB pedal and F E lever work too so that might be it as well.
Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2023 8:06 am    

Take a couple days off of knee levers, work on other technique.

After my first few awkward months, I developed cramps in my legs as well as some shoulder issues. I was an older beginner, age 60. This may not be an issue for younger players.

Now I take a break every half hour or so. Just stand up and walk around a couple minutes. On a gig, I never sit at the steel more than 45 minutes.

This instrument will teach you sometimes. It is ALL about body mechanics.
Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2023 7:34 pm    

What type of seat and cushion are you sitting on, Is your seat firm and stable? If you are playing a double neck body guitar, Are you putting pressure down on your left forearm or left hand on the guitar, To steady your body. So moving your RKL will not move your foot on the volume pedal.

If your seat is high, Your thigh may have to much downward pressure to allow your hip to move easy. Are you having to gain support from your left arm to move knee levers without moving the vol. pedal. This could cause you left shoulder and neck problem.
Have some on video you while moving the RKR and see if you are doing something different.

I played S10 string with small pad, Day set up, With raise Es LKL and lower Es LKR. When I went to S12 U Newman set up and moved E's raise to RKL, Lower E's to RKR. I found I had to set my seat more consistent, I am glad my seat foam is firm, To steady my body, So I can move my right knee without Moving the volume pedal.
Good luck finding cause and cure, Happy Steelin.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2023 3:50 pm    

Are you moving your upper body when you activate the lever? That's a no-no, and your body from the waist up should remain steady and unmoving when actuating levers. But I've seen many players lean or tilt their shoulders when the use a lever, and that might explain your issue.
Bill McCloskey

Post  Posted 10 Feb 2023 4:42 pm    

Donny you might be right, I definitely lean to one side. The pain was really bad on day one, less on day 2. Now it seems to have gone away , but Im stretching more.