| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  HELP,,,Bb6 Copedent,,,DAY Set up
Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2023 8:41 am    

Need help figuring out the pedal/lever arrangement for Reese,s Bb6 copedent using the Day set up CBA instead of ABC. Involves more than just switching the pedals,,,since levers have to work in conjunction with pedals. Can someone more knowledgeable on copedents help out. My ankle just will NOT rock for the Emmons set up. I understand Bud Carter had an ankle issue and used a modified Universal tuning,,,not sure if it was E9/B6 or Bb6 oriented. (I'll bet b0b could figure this out,,LOL)
Raybob Bowman

S. Lake Tahoe, CA, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2023 2:15 pm    

Why not just adjust the pedal heights until rocking your ankle feels comfortable with ABC?
To change to CBA would just require resetting pedals. Might need to cut new connecting rod for the new positon of C pedal.

Petoskey Mi
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2023 5:36 pm    

RayBob.
Sometimes it isn’t a matter of adjusting the pedals.
I blew the tendon in my left ankle that lets you raise the front of your foot.
By the time the medical folks figured it out, it was too late to reconnect it.
$65000.00 worth of surgery finds the tendon that raised my big toe now connected to my foot. My main problem is rocking left. I can’t get off the B pedal. If I adjust it down then I can’t get off the A when I go right.
This works up to a point. If I set far enough back from my guitar to be able to raise my foot I cant reach the knee levers. This is onmy single neck guitar. So I tried to get someone to make some flags for my four levers. No luck.
So it’s back to a heavy D-10 & 5 which almost solves the problem. A high heel cowboy boot raises my foot. I can push down I just can’t raise up enough.
I am doing exercises to improve the flexibility of the ankle.
And on a final note my almost ninety old back doesn’t like the weight.
But I am still pickin and learning. Actually had a great paying gig at Christmas time.
John Alexander

Post  Posted 28 Jan 2023 8:39 am     Re: HELP,,,Bb6 Copedent,,,DAY Set up

Sonny Jenkins wrote:
Need help figuring out the pedal/lever arrangement for Reese,s Bb6 copedent using the Day set up CBA instead of ABC. Involves more than just switching the pedals,,,since levers have to work in conjunction with pedals. Can someone more knowledgeable on copedents help out. My ankle just will NOT rock for the Emmons set up. I understand Bud Carter had an ankle issue and used a modified Universal tuning,,,not sure if it was E9/B6 or Bb6 oriented. (I'll bet b0b could figure this out,,LOL)

See here for all the Bb6 copedent history I could find, including many of Reece's Bb6 copedents going back to 1971.

Reece's Bb6 copedent apparently didn't include a conventional E9-type C pedal. His pedal 3 was what David Wright called the "Anderson Pedal." It was included in Reece's copedent back to 1971 at least, before he added the A and B pedals. In other words, it's not really designed to be used with the B pedal (unlike the conventional C pedal on E9, which is very much designed to be used with the B pedal).

Consequently I think you'd be looking at reversing only the A and B pedals to get a Day setup, without changing the C pedal on your Reece Bb6 copedent.

Although Reece introduced a number of variations into his Bb6 copedent, his left knee levers appear to have remained constant over the years, and they too go back to at least 1971, before he put A and B pedals on his guitar. In general, they weren't originally designed to be used in E9-style playing with the A and B pedals, although some versions of the copedent might have had the LKR (which lowers string 7 by a step) also lowering string 1 by a half step, which would be used quite a bit in conjunction with the A and B pedals in E9-style playing - it's equivalent to lowering string 2 from D# to D on E9. Also Reece's LKV lowering G to Gb would have some use in connection with the A pedal (pedal 1 before you change the setup to Day).

I think the instances I have mentioned where Reece's left knee levers might be used in combination with the A and B pedals might actually be easier to do if the A and B pedals were reversed.

I don't think that the reversal of pedals A and B would much affect your use of the right knee levers or any of pedals 3 to 7.

It looks to me like it might be OK to just reverse the A and B pedals and adjust their height appropriately.

I haven't played on that copedent for about 30 years, so I may be way off base, but hopefully this gives you some ideas to think about.
Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2023 3:39 pm    

Now John that's about the best explanation I've heard,,,or could ever hope for!!!! So, based on the copedent here on the forum, if I switched pedals1 and2,what would I activate to put me in 9th mode,,,,and which levers would be used with that?
John Alexander

Post  Posted 28 Jan 2023 4:43 pm    

Sonny Jenkins wrote:
Now John that's about the best explanation I've heard,,,or could ever hope for!!!! So, based on the copedent here on the forum, if I switched pedals1 and2,what would I activate to put me in 9th mode,,,,and which levers would be used with that?

As on an E9 tuning, the E's on the Bb6 tuning are on strings 4 and 8, except that they are Eb instead of E and you have to raise them from D to Eb using RKL. Holding it there, you'll find that you have something close to the E9 tuning, but in Eb. On the high end, what an E9 player is used to having on string 1 is moved to string 3, and what he's used to having on strings 2 and 3 are moved to strings 1 and 2. String 7 of E9 (the D string) is missing.

Maurice's basic Bb6 copedent is pretty light on standard E9 stuff - no F lever, no C pedal, no D string, no lowering of E9 2nd string. On modern guitars some of that stuff can be added without even giving up Reece's favored left knee levers, but it takes some doing. For example, check out David Wright's copedent. I guess for Maurice it was not a priority to cover all the usual E9 changes.
Christopher Woitach

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2023 11:46 am    

This is Reece’s 2011 copedent, which is on my Bb6 S12. Reece made one change on his guitar, which was the 1st string raise on RKL, because on his older MSA he felt it was too sluggish to use.

No C pedal, and I see no problem with using Day setup.

Christopher Woitach

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2023 11:52 am    

John’s idea of checking out David Wright’s copedent is a good one, since his includes standard E9 type changes, including a C pedal. I can’t think of why that can’t be Day setup, as well, but David could tell you for sure.