| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  MSA pedal rod threads
David Neslony

Arlington, TX USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2023 9:06 am    

I need to shorten the pedal rods on my MSA "The Universal".
I will have to cut additional threads on the pedal rods.
What size and type of die do I need for this?

Thanks!
Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2023 10:22 am    

I have found that it is easier to leave the original threads alone, instead, make a new hook on the other end of the rod. Don't cut the the rod before bending. Use a propane torch to heat the exact spot for the bend, then bend it with pliers to match the original hook. Let it cool, then cut off the extra part of the rod. The heat will discolor the rod a bit, but you can clean that off with steel wool.
Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2023 8:43 pm    

Does your pedal rods have the Pedal Rod Number stamped about 1" below the Hook on the rod??

If you are only wanting to shorten the rods 1", That would put the stamped number right in the hook bend, If that number would be in the bend of the new hook, It may make the rod fracture/break while forming the new hook. Being a Universal you will have 7 or 8 pedal rods to shorten.

My MSA D10 from the 1970's has, The stamped numbers and 10-32 die cut threads. Using an adjustable die would be the best. That way you could adjust the die to an exact fit to the present threads.

Good Luck on this project, Happy Steelin
David Neslony

Arlington, TX USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2023 10:54 am    

Bobby D. Jones wrote:
Does your pedal rods have the Pedal Rod Number stamped about 1" below the Hook on the rod??

If you are only wanting to shorten the rods 1", That would put the stamped number right in the hook bend, If that number would be in the bend of the new hook, It may make the rod fracture/break while forming the new hook. Being a Universal you will have 7 or 8 pedal rods to shorten.

My MSA D10 from the 1970's has, The stamped numbers and 10-32 die cut threads. Using an adjustable die would be the best. That way you could adjust the die to an exact fit to the present threads.

Good Luck on this project, Happy Steelin

-------------------------------------------------
Thanks, Bobby!
That would be 10-32 nc (or unc). Correct? I know that it's not nf (fine thread).

What is an adjustable die?