| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  GFI Expo pickup replacement
Travis Bubenik

Marfa, Texas
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2023 9:46 pm    

Looking for a new pickup that’ll fit my S10 GFI Expo - to put it simply I’m no expert on pickups and don’t really have time to dive down the rabbit hole figuring out what would be a good one - so just open to ideas/offers. I would like a single coil but not set on that.

What y’all got?
David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2023 7:35 am    

Travis..One detail to consider when changing a pickup in a GFI: The pickup cavity in a GFI guitar is routed to accommodate the factory (built by George L) pickup which is mounted directly to the cabinet and has no method for height adjustment. May want to check to be certain that any replacement unit is not too tall and will ensure ample spacing between the strings and pickup top (normally the thickness of two $.25 coins). If a single coil is desired, would recommend contacting 'Steeltronics' pickups.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2023 8:21 am    

I had an Expo S10. It had the stock GFI II pickup. I'm not a fan of George L's pickups but the GFI II did very well in the Expo I had. I also had a D-10 Franklin with Lawrence 710 pickups. I needed to fix a steel track but the Franklin was loaded in the van for a job. I used tue Expo to fix the spot in the track and amazingly I couldn't tell the difference between the sound of the fixed spot and the rest of the steel track.

On the other hand my new Ultra S-10 with pad (SD-10) came with a GFI III pickup. I hated it as it emphasized the lows and even made them boomy. I replaced the stock GFI III with a new Lawrence 710 that was custom built to fit the GFI pickup cavity. The 710 fixed the boomy bass and a better and cleaner overall sound.
Travis Bubenik

Marfa, Texas
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2023 9:04 am    

Thanks David and Jack - this is all great intel!
Chris Harvey

California, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2023 1:53 pm    

Get an alumnitone. Take out the pickup spacer provided with the guitar and adhere the alumnitone with thin beads of silicone. You won’t need to drill holes and the pickup is easily removed with slight pressure. They sound great