| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Mullen G2 with a 705 Pickup
Dennis Manuel

Quesnel, B.C., Canada
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2023 9:02 am    

To all the Mullen G2 players out there. Has anyone compared/replaced a Mullen single coil pickup with a 705 pickup? If so what are your thoughts?

Last edited by Dennis Manuel on 6 Jan 2023 9:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Roy Carroll

North of a Round Rock
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2023 9:13 am    

I would be interested as well. I have a BL710 in mine now. It is pretty good. Even though the stock pickup in pretty good as well. I had a 17.5 in mine several years ago, but it was too bright for my taste. Whatching to see if anyone has installed a 705....

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2023 11:36 am    

My G2 SD10 came with a modern (black surround, non Bill & Becky) Lawrence 705. Humbucking, sounds very good, and I have never thought about replacing it. To my ears, it has a smooth sound with good upper-midrange presence - not too bright, not thin, but not muddy at all. Lately I've been using that guitar a lot with a Quilter Tone Block 201 into a high-power speaker. It works well with most of the steel gigs I've been doing the last year, which lean to country and not swing. But I think that smoothness would work with swing as well if I had it on a D10.

I am a big fan of the original Bill Lawrence 705 with chrome surround, which I have on some other guitars. I was a bit skeptical of the modern 705, but I was pleasantly surprised. I generally like the sound of a 17.5K single-coil on a couple of guitars I own, but I struggle with the noise. I have another modern 705 that I picked up in a deal with some other stuff a few years ago that I may drop into one of my D10s to mate with an original 705 - that guitar isn't getting used as much right now due to the noise while recording and at gigs. My house is particularly noise prone - using a single-coil for home recording is really frustrating.

Of course, this is all a matter of personal taste.
Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2023 11:55 am    

I tried the 705 in my G2, but it just didn’t have the single coil tone that I like. The stock Mullen single coil is wound a little heavier than most, around 20.5K. It’s a nice balance across all strings at any fret.
Bryce Van Parys

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2023 1:30 pm    

I have a new Royal Precision. I felt the mid range, and the 6th string in general, was a little narrow and bright. I put in a new 705 from Mullen (with their quick connect) and I like it a lot better. Especially live. It's more full in the mid range, and more forgiving when I pick heavy, less brittle in general

Double bass, Mike Lull V4, G&L SB2 electric bass, Stratocaster, Telecaster, Les Paul, Martin D18GE,
Dennis Montgomery

Western Washington
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2023 5:02 pm    

Don't know about the 705, but I did replace my Mullen G2 stock 12 string pickup with an L712 and would never go back. I've always preferred the thicker sound of humbuckers over single coils in my 6 string guitars, so it makes sense that I would also prefer one on my Mullen. I wired in a coil split switch as well to have the best of both worlds, but it pretty much stays set in humbucker mode Winking

Hear my album, "Armistice" featuring Fender 400 on every song:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfXm8aXRTFz2Pz_GXhvmjne7lPEtsplyW

Hear my Pedal Steel Only playlist featuring Mullen G2 SD12 on covers like Candyman, Wild Horses, Across the Universe & more...
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfXm8aXRTFz2f0JOyiXpZyzNrvnJObliA
Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2023 8:10 pm    

I love original single coil Mullen pickups, and I think they are a great match for a Mullen guitars, I never felt a need to replace original Mullen pickup on any of my Mullen guitars , it is just a great sounding combination…

Greensboro, NC
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2023 9:48 am    

I replaced the stock single coil in my G2 with a modern 705. Did not notice a huge difference, but maybe slightly less brittleness up high. A normal ear would not notice the difference, but there was something slight there for sure. Considering Tommy White uses them in his guitar, I figured it was worth a try. Right hand and volume pedal still trumps new equipment for changing tone, imo.
Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2023 3:50 pm    

Tommy just got a new G2, and it appears to have single coil pups.
Tony Rankin

Land O’ Lakes, FL
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2023 11:44 am    

At one time I owned two G2's; one with a 705 reissue and one with a Telonics 409. In the G2, the 409 was the clear winner to my ears. I've been very pleased with it.

Atlanta, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2023 5:46 pm    

I have 2 G2’s. A red one that has always had Mullen single coils. My other gray and black G2 has been through a few different pickups including 705’s and single coils It sounds better than I can play but has never sounded as good as the red guitar. I couldn’t tell much difference between the single coil and 705.

YMMV
Tim Harr

Dunlap, Illinois
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2023 5:29 pm    

I like it. Also, it is very quiet in the studio.

Mullen G2 D-10 (9p/5k)
Retired, US Army Band (Steel/Dobro/Guitar)
Kemper Profiler / LW 89