| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Returning to steel...
David Nailling

Maple Valley, Washington
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2023 12:54 pm    

I hope y'all don't mind a post like this, but I'm in a place where I'm not sure exactly how to move forward.

I first started playing steel guitar maybe 15 or so years ago. I was in graduate school the last time I really tried learning the instrument - in Nashville, of all places! That said, juggling practice and schoolwork just ended up being too difficult. I ended up selling my Emmons S-10 to a member here in 2009.

I'm at a point where I really want to get back into playing, but I'm not sure what to do. I've considered ordering a new steel guitar, but I'm concerned that it'll end up losing a lot of its value should I end up abandoning the instrument once again - sort of the whole "a car loses 50% of its value the second you drive it off the lot" thing.

I'm not starting again with the idea that I'll quit in the future - I'm just trying to be realistic.

I don't really want to buy a cheap student model. I also don't mind spending money on a used instrument, provided it will hold its value. I'd - obviously - be happy to buy another S-10. But I'm sure there are any number of single neck steels out there that would do me just fine.

What sorts of recommendations do y'all have for someone in my position? I'm looking for a pretty simple single neck 3/4 in E9. And again, cost is less an issue than an instrument that will keep its value.

Thanks very much. Mods, if this is an inappropriate post that needs to be moved - or deleted - please feel free to do so.
Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2023 1:09 pm     Msa Semi-classic S-10

I don't know anything about this one but I have seen the ad for a while. Looks to be around Comfort and Kerrville.

MSA SEMI-CLASSIC S-10

https://sanantonio.craigslist.org/msg/7557507895.html
Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2023 4:01 pm    

They’re not like cars. You can sell for near what you paid for, give or take a few bucks, used or new, as long as the condition is good to excellent and you didn’t get ripped off initially.
Scott Denniston

Hahns Peak, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2023 5:53 pm    

I've usually substantially undersold them. I'll sell it for maybe a little under what I paid then I see the same thing for twice that amount. That never really bothered me but I've learned to look first what the market is doing.
David Nailling

Maple Valley, Washington
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2023 6:34 pm    

Fred Treece wrote:
They’re not like cars. You can sell for near what you paid for, give or take a few bucks, used or new, as long as the condition is good to excellent and you didn’t get ripped off initially.

Thanks for this. I've played guitar for almost 30 years - I try to buy used guitars if only because they tend to hold on to their value better than new guitars. I'm glad to know that's not the case with steel guitars.

As much as I like the idea of replacing my old S-10, I do know that more modern steels are far easier when it comes to maintenance - something about which I know very little. Do y'all think it might be wiser for me to end up buying something like a GFI, MSA, E/MCI, or Mullen?

Thanks once again. I know y'all take steel very seriously, so I hope I'm not coming off as too much of a rube.
Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2023 8:12 pm    

Hopefully you will get responses from players much more experienced with buying and selling than me. From what I have seen, you can’t go wrong with a new steel from any of the main builders like the ones you have mentioned. Same with used, unless the instrument has been seriously neglected or abused. Emmons guitars are still held in very high regard and probably always will be.

I wouldn’t buy a used instrument anywhere but from the forum, or on the advice of a good friend who knows what he’s looking at, or a combination of both.

Also, there are lots of “first time buying a pedal steel guitar” threads here to search through where you will find tons of information. Or go through the archives of the For Sale section to get an idea of who is selling what for how much.

Look up forum member Mike Polansky. He lives in Austin and just started playing. He might have some insight on recent purchases and getting started.
Chris Brooks

Providence, Rhode Island
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2023 7:37 am    

My advice? I'd take Ken's advice: solid old MSA, lots of stuff with it, looks clean, great price.
Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2023 8:43 am    

Chris Brooks wrote:
My advice? I'd take Ken's advice: solid old MSA, lots of stuff with it, looks clean, great price.

I guess he could add knee levers?
If it was me starting over, I’d want a 3&4 with everything in and ready to go.
Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2023 8:48 am    

And that MSA weighs more than at least one of my loaded D-10s.
David Nailling

Maple Valley, Washington
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2023 10:27 am    

Chris Brooks wrote:

It's tempting, but yeah - Mr. Treece is correct. I'm really looking for a 3/4.

Joseph Heller, Catch 22
Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2023 11:05 am    

Get an SD10 3x5. Get a used pro model from a desirable brand. Used Williams are great because they are still manufacturing and can fix any issues you might have with a used steel. One suggestion is to visit Billy Coopers and play a bunch of them. If you do that, you will be able to sell it for what you paid give or take a few bucks.

California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2023 11:44 am    

Steel Guitars of North County usually has 20 - 30 steels for sale .You can look online to see what he has. He is excellent at setting up and fixing Pedal Steels.It's owned by Jim Palenscar. The bad news is he is in San Diego,Ca. The good news is he goes to the Dallas TSGA show in March and could possibly bring you a steel. Good Luck
Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2023 5:07 pm    

I would pass on the Craig List MSA. That is a SEMI-CLASSIC, Not a CLASSIC.
In the pictures below the guitar, It does not have a full plate on the front apron. There is no holes for the cross rods. It would take work. It Would not be, Just a drop in the parts, For 2 more knee levers.
Edited to add.
The Left Knee Left Lever would require a Reversing Mechanism that mounts to the Rear Apron. That would be more parts. If the holes for the Reverser are not in the rear Apron. That would be more work too.
Michael May

Nebraska
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2023 7:36 am    

Hi David. Be sure to check out Doug Earnest in Branson who builds Stage One and Encore guitars. I recently bought my Encore from him and am extremely happy. Doug is great to work with, and with an additional fourth pedal and an armrest added, it cost me $2,000, which I considered very reasonable. I think his Stage One may cost around $1,500, but not sure. I've heard that's a very nice guitar for more of a beginner model, however, the changes can't be modifed on a Stage One. Doug's website is stageoneguitars.com. The only thing is, he may not be taking new orders, and lead times may be a few months.
David Nailling

Maple Valley, Washington
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2023 10:32 am    

Thanks again for all of the replies here - and in private messages, too.

Y'all clearly know your stuff!

Joseph Heller, Catch 22
Mike Selecky

BrookPark, Ohio
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2023 8:51 pm    

Here's a nice one right here on the forum:

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=387620