| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Cables question
Travis Bubenik

Marfa, Texas
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2022 7:33 pm    

This is a very specific question but I’m trying to understand the - science/tech/etc. behind what makes particular cables better suited for steel - so here we go:

Until recently I was using a combo of a couple George L’s cables and regular ol’ random cheap guitar/instrument cables. But I finally got some more George L’s and now that’s all I’m using - for instrument to amp, amp send and return to pedals etc.

One IMMEDIATE thing I noticed after doing away completely with the cheap-o cables - my amp is picking up way less undercarriage noise! I was hearing a lot of the clanking from the pedal stops through the amp before switching to all George L’s.

So - what’s the deal with that? Why is that particular thing improved from just better cables?

Obviously I’m not complaining - I’m thrilled - but wondering what the nitty gritty explanation is for educational purposes…thanks!!
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2022 5:50 am    

I can't think of any reason why it was picking up the undercarriage noise other than the guitar pickup and it was just getting amplified. EDIT: The pickup sounds like its microphonic.

George L's cables are low capacitance and tend to open up the highs, sometimes at the expense of the lows. Maybe the old cables were emphasizing the lows and thus the mechanical noise from the pickup.

I used and promoted George L's cables for 38 years but with a Quilter amp I've went back to standard "run of the mill" guitar cables. No mechanical noise and perfect sound.

Last edited by Jack Stoner on 27 Dec 2022 12:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Abram Denzlinger

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2022 7:29 am    

Your premium cables might have a higher % braid coverage than your old ones. If so, they’re better shielded from outside interference.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2022 3:06 am    

Abram Denzlinger wrote:
Your premium cables might have a higher % braid coverage than your old ones. If so, they’re better shielded from outside interference.

Poor cable shielding is prone to outside ELECTRIC interference but not mechanical noise.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2023 11:36 am     More treble sounds louder!

More highs means you probably use less volume, and the lower volume means less pickup of mechanical noise.

That's my theory, anyway. Mr. Green