| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pedal Steel Fickleness
Bill McCloskey

Post  Posted 6 Jan 2023 2:35 pm    

I have two pedal steels.

One is a Williams 700 series Sd10. It sounds fantastic. I love the simplicity of the 3x5 and the closeness of the pedals and easy of use and of course that rich Williams sound.

The other is a 1975 Sho-bud Pro III D10, completely rebuilt, made the month I turned 21. When I play this, I have to adjust. The pedals are wider, harder to press. Plus the complications of the additional neck, pedals, and knee levers. But when I play it...my god, it has a rich nutty tone that sends my soul into another place and time. And the pedal spacing...hey that is a feature not a bug. And I love tilting and stretching into the LKR to LKL/A pedal. Makes me feel like I'm playing a grand church organ. And i think, I could just play this the rest of my life and be happy....

And then I go to the Williams, and I can pull of a tricky change/grip easily and I think...ah...the simplicity of a Sd10 and the rich piano like tones of the williams..I could play this and only this forever and be happy...and then..

Is that an eharp in the corner?
Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2023 12:36 pm    

Too much of a good thing, Bill?
I’m the same. I wish I could fill my days just playing my instruments. I’ve never played a Bud, but the Williams 700 is The Bomb. And then there’s the Dobro, Tele, Martin, cute little mando…
Andrew Goulet

Post  Posted 7 Jan 2023 3:42 pm    

Bill, I can identify with your situation. I only just now, after about 12 years of playing, feel like I'm truly getting comfortable. For me, it was a combination of finding the right finger picks, a supportive seat that was at the right height, and the right guitar. I never realized how much playing the old Fender hurt my body until I bought a much more comfortable Marlen.

Same for tone. The Marlen just sounds better to me, but my attack and all that other stuff about your body that affects tone is much easier now that I'm comfortable and my energy is going to the right places.