| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Emmons LL2 LKV
Dan Murphy

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2022 11:59 am    

Hey guys I have bought my first EmmonsLL2. Can anyone tell me if the LKV is supposed to be a FIXED position lever? mine has 2 pins holding it in the play position. It needs to be lowered so I can reach it. I have to raise my knee way up to get it and when it hits the stop my leg is touching the under carriage. Confused The pins holding the lever dont look like the other factory fasteners that are on the other levers.
Ron Forrest

Logan Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2022 12:11 pm    

Dan,

I just put one on a my LeGrande also and unfortunately they don't have any adjustment to lower them down toward your leg. The only way that I've found to adjust mine is to change the point were the nylons hit the changer and then adjust the stops to compensate for the new position.

I supposed a guy could modify the lever were it joins the bracket to add a thumbscrew. I don't think it would be to hard actually. I believe the new Emmons Resound65 has an adjustable vertical on it.

Overall i think its just a bad design in general. If your guitar is raised up like mine have to be, its almost impossible to get the thing adjusted down enough to use it. Fortunately for me I moved the B to Bb change to the first pedal, shifted the ABC pedals down one and put the 4th pedal C6th change on a LKL in the center of the guitar and I use the vertical for a 6 string drop so its not a huge deal to lift my leg up to get it. The B to Bb change was literally impossible to use on the vertical.

Ron
Dan Murphy

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2022 12:43 pm     Emmons LKV

Smile Thanks Ron,didnt think of that yet LOL. My Mullen has adjustable stops. Getting used to Emmons having adjustable starts and fixed stops.Its a different animal lol Very Happy

Last edited by Dan Murphy on 24 Dec 2022 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ron Forrest

Logan Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2022 12:50 pm    

Dan,

I think a lot of the design of the LeGrandes were carried over from the Push Pulls. Vertical on the older ones is the same to. I'd give Kelcey O'Neil, Billy Knowles, or Lynn Stafford a call and see if they are making something or see if they know how to make it adjustable. If anyone knows a trick to this it would be these guys!!!

FYI: I really like having the ABC pedals shifted over one position. It lines up more ergonomically with my left knees and doesn't feel like i"m stretching out to reach the pedals. Definitely way more comfortable when your playing a four show.

Ron
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2022 1:39 pm    

I think you're right, Ron. Their design is a bit behind the times.

I'm currently battling the same problem as Dan has just encountered except I've had my LeGrande 22 years! I now have a pull on LKV that I'd actually like to use and I've taped a piece of wood on the lever.

It's far from ideal, though.
Dan Murphy

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2022 2:25 pm    

This one is 8-6, I will make a slip over style part that will get it down closer. Thanks for the input fellas. Smile
Ron Forrest

Logan Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2022 3:34 pm    

Dan,

I was wondering if something like this would work? I've thought about asking the local machine shop if they could make up something like this. I have one one my Mullen and works great. It even folds up with the lever so its out of the way when you close the case.

https://mullenguitars.com/product/vertical-knee-lever-extender/

Let us know what you come up with. Always great to see everyones mod ideas.

Ron
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2022 4:02 pm    

Ron:

That would be ideal provided that it was compatible with another brand of steel. That 1" would make all the difference.

I'm not familiar with Mullen guitars and their mechanics or measurements.

I can reach my central vertical on C6 easily. It's stretching across to the LKs that's the challenge.
Ron Forrest

Logan Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2022 5:46 pm    

Roger,

You are right the 1" lower that it provides is perfect for my guitar which is 2" above standard. I don't think it would be hard to fab something up that could be semi universal for other guitars as well. I might built something out in CAD and 3D print a protype when i get time.

Ron
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2022 3:21 am    

I use a length of clear tubing over mine which brings the contact point down maybe an inch. I actually have it on a couple of levers which brings the levers closer to my leg. Plus the tubing makes for a softer contact with my leg.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Norman Evans

Tennessee
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2022 6:48 am    

Does the vertical not have an adjustment screw like the other levers?

Dan Murphy

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2022 7:38 am     Emmons LKV

My Mullen is an 07 with adjuster screws for all levers. Ron that's what I was thinking exactly about that Mullen knee extender. I have called Billy Knowles and made parts list asked him for a half stop on 2nd string E9 neck. Also 2 pedal bar decals, clips and a pull rod I can cut an install for a 7th string raise on my LKL. This is the Guitar that Leon Champion has on his Sho Pro for sale add. It's the Blue Emmons. Serial #1473L.It was Jerry Lee Lewis lawyer's guitar. It hadn't been played since 2012.So it needed a good cleaning and lube job. Polished up fantastic. I switched cope to have Es lower on RKL and 1,2,7 raise on LKL. It's got a weird C6 cope too, the BOOWAA is on #4 pedal. I'm not fluent on C6 but still working on it: lol: Thanks for all the input the forum is a great place for info and ideas. Merry Christmas guys! Smile
Dan Murphy

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2022 7:43 am     Emmons LKV

Shocked Still waiting to hear back from Billy Knowles, hope he has power. Lots of people without power that way.
Ron Forrest

Logan Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2022 10:55 am    

Norman,

The vertical is the only lever that doesn't have an adjustment on it. Its held to the bracket with 2 pins that fix it in place. I think it would be very easy to remove one of the pins and machine the lever to swing on one way for storage and add the height adjustment.

Problem with mine is that my LeGrande is raised up 2" so its a long way away from the top of my Knee. Thats why i was thinking of modding a Mullen extender so it could lower while I'm playing but i could fold it up when the guitar was in the case.
Norman Evans

Tennessee
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2022 1:16 pm    

Ron, I think you are right about modifying the lever.
Dan Murphy

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2022 3:29 pm     Emmons LKV

Ron is right, I ordered the Mullen extender. This LL2 is the same height as my Mullen and its standard .
Larry Hamilton

Amarillo,Tx
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2023 5:25 pm    

A machinest friend of mine made this for my old LL2. All is long gone including my buddy.

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2023 5:32 pm     Emmons LKV

Hi , got the pins drilled out and reworked and it now works great . Made my own extension . Cool
Ron Forrest

Logan Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2023 6:39 pm    

Dan,

Can you post some pics of it. I'd love to see what you came up with.

Ron
Dan Murphy

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2023 4:23 pm     Emmons LKV

I get a pic up asap Smile
ken collins

Oklahoma City, OK.
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2023 9:35 pm     Emmons Vertical Knee

I always drive out the pins and replace with a small bolt and a locking nut Then you can adjust the handle up or down.
Dan Murphy

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2023 4:48 pm     Emmons LKV

I used a small flat piece of aluminum stock drilled out the pins and shaped to fit the slotted bracket. I didn't alter the actual lever. The factory lever rides against the flat piece i made works great. I was able to lower the LKV 1.5 inches.
Ron Forrest

Logan Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2023 5:10 pm    

Dan,

Thats a great idea and nice job getting it to look so good!!

Ron
Dan Murphy

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2023 5:23 pm     Emmons LKV

Thanks Ron,I made the piece 1.5 inches long and the longer the lower it will move lever down. Im still going to try that Mullen extender I bought.