| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  String Spacing: Please post yours with comments
J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2022 7:05 pm    

I am ahead with some designs for a "different" PSG. I've prototyped before and am back at it.

I need everybody's input about string spacing at both, the nut and the bridge and why you like it or not.

Ideally, to compare apples to apples, would be a measurement over 10 strings (center of first thru center of 10th) at the nut and at the bridge or changer.

I'd love to read comments, why you like it or why not and what you'd prefer.
Maybe we can see a consensus... maybe not.

Thanks for you help, time and input!... J-D.

Was it JFK who said: Ask Not What TAB Can Do For You - Rather Ask Yourself "What Would B.B. King Do?"

A Little Mental Health Warning:

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.
Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2022 1:13 am    

Before I measure anything I'm going to predict a consensus of around 11/32" or 0.34" at the changer, or if like me you're inclined to work in metric, 8.7mm.

It's important to distinguish between spacing (a vague term) and pitch, which is the distance over ten strings as JD describes, divided by 9.

As for any taper towards the nut, I have heard no evidence that it's more than purely aesthetic.

What I can tell you is that when I built my uni 12, because steel stock over here is in metric sizes I went for 9mm (0.35") - 6mm fingers and 3mm spacers - which was a little wide but nicely playable until I got used to all those strings! Further measurements to follow...

It turns out that the distance between the centres of the strings (at the changer) on my Excel U12 is the traditional spacing of 0.34". My Williams is slightly narrower at 0.33". People often ask if the Williams is narrower than average, and the answer is therefore yes. But if you can tell a hundredth of a inch difference from playing it, you're superhuman Smile