| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  F lever is tuned very low but sounds good. It seems strange
Peter Hay

California, USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2022 7:04 pm    

Hello!

I have a Mullen Royal Precision SD-12 Extended E 9th with pad, 3 pedals and 4 knee levers. I'm just starting to use the F lever and A pedal.

Like everyone else it seems, I lower my major 3rds a few cents to make it sound better. This also means I need to lower my A pedal so the interval of a 5th between the A pedal raising to a 6th and the open lowered major third on string 6 sounds ok.

If i follow this 'logic', then I need to lower the F produced by the F lever quite drastically because it is the 3rd of the chord when used with the A pedal which is already lowered to compensate for the lowered open 3rd.

So it winds up metering closer to an E than an F on my tuner, but it sounds good. It just seems quite drastic.

It turns out I have to compensate a bit with the bar as well by gong just a bit farther than 3 frets from an open chord, which is ok, but I'm just seeing if I am going too far out here.

Anyone have any guidance on this?

Thanks

Peter Hay
Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2022 8:09 pm    

If you go to links at top right corner of Forum page, Go down on the right side of the page to copendents. Check out Jeff Newman's copendent. His copendent shows the A pedal +8 B's go to -6 C#'s. It also lists the the knee lever's lowers +10 E's to -18 F.

Happy Steelin.
Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2022 9:38 pm    

Add to that, the cabinet drop. You end up playing between the frets with the F lever. Fact of life.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Revelation preamp, Carbon Copy Delay and Hall Of Fame Reverb, Crown XLS 1002, 2- 15" Eminence Wheelhouse speakers, ShoBud Pedal, Effects Pedals. 1949 Epiphone D-8.
Jeremy Threlfall

now in Western Australia
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2022 9:50 pm    

I have to tune close to ET for shows - but at home, my Fs are tuned -25 cents. I then simply play my AF inversions a third of the distance past the fretline
http://ralwaybell.bandcamp.com/
Peter Freiberger

California, USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2022 9:53 pm    

Lloyd Green came up with the E-F change and famously used it on Tammy Wynette’s “DIVORCE”. I was in Nashville for the Western Edge opening at the Hall of Fame and saw him. He commented on a related Forum post I had made and explained to me how that change must necessarily be played past the fret marker to be in tune. Of course he is 100% correct, as always.
Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2022 10:40 am    

We have to tune thirds a tad flat to make them sound nice, so by the time you've flattened the third of a flat third, you're going to have to squirm up the neck a little. Mathematics.
Tommy Mc

Middlesex VT
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2022 10:50 am     Re: F lever is tuned very low but sounds good. It...

Peter Hay wrote:

It turns out I have to compensate a bit with the bar as well by gong just a bit farther than 3 frets from an open chord, which is ok, but I'm just seeing if I am going too far out here.

I think this is one of the main reasons that many players tune to A=442. The E's end up being a little sharp, but the flattened 3rds aren't quite so flat. It allows you to play closer to the fret markers....just a little below or a little above. This is essentially what Peterson's popular SE9 sweetened tuning does.
Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2022 10:51 am     Re: F lever is tuned very low but sounds good. It...

Peter Hay wrote:

Needing to slide your bar a bit to the right of the fret marker when using the A+F position is 100% normal in most tuning systems (except for ET).

For people who tune by ear, you would have to aim above the fret line by as much as 14 cents to get your root note on string 5A or 10A to match that of the band... that's noticeably to the right of the fret line. When you do this, that crazy-flat F-lever note that was maybe tuned to -28 cents at the nut ends up being played with proper bar placement at the correct -14 cents below the root note of the band, yielding a perfect, pure 3rd interval. So that F-levered note is fairly unusable at the nut -- but once the bar hits the strings, it can be brought up in pitch to right where it needs to be.

Try closing your eyes and intonating that A+F position by ear.
Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2022 12:22 pm    

Of course it's really an E# lever, but that's too pedantic for everyday Smile
John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2022 1:14 pm    

Peter, we'll get into these tuning weeds at your next Skype lesson if you like. Basically, here's how I do it:

Once you get your A and B pedals sounding good in closed major chords, they're set, don't touch them.

Now tune your string 4 raise to F to be that slightly flat major 3rd of the A+F chord. I tune that by striking a string 5A harmonic at fret 9, the reference tone, then string 4F at fret 5 harmonic. Math string 4 to string 5.

Now the trouble is your open chord slightly flatted major 3rds on strings 3 and 6, are now the 5th scale degree in your A+F chord, and of course they are flat, which sounds awful.

I fix that with raise compensators, extra pull rods activated by the F lever. String 3 doesn't seem to need much, if any, compensating, But string 6 sure does! For Mullen you'll need to order their unique but wonderful pull rods and cotter pins.

I'll demo all this in lesson, Peter.
John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2022 1:20 pm    

Peter, we'll get into these tuning weeds at your next Skype lesson if you like. Basically, here's how I do it:

One you get your A and B pedals sounding good in closed major chords, they're set, don't touch them.

Now tune your string 4 raise to F to be that slightly flat major 3rd of the chord. I tune that by striking a string 5A harmonic at fret 9, the reference tone, then the string 4F at fret 5.

Now the trouble is your open chord slightly flatted major 3rds aon strings 3 and 6, are now the 5th scale degree in your A+F chord, and of course they are flat, which sounds awful.

I fix that with raise compensators, extra pull rods activated by the F lever. String 3 doesn't seem to need much, if any, compensating, But string 6 sure does! For Mullen you'll need to order their unique but wonderful pull rods and cotter pins.
Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2022 4:01 pm    

I tune my F-lever so that the A+F combo sounds awesome!
Then I fudge the bar a lil sharp as needed to make it sound awesome with the band.
I tune Jeff Newman style.
Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2022 4:56 pm    

I'm a little alarmed at the idea of compensating rods.

I tune in near-JI with the 3rds very slightly sharp for safety. I get perfect triads in all three positions (pedals up, pedals down and A/F). All I have to is remember to play sharp of the fret in A/F, although it's a habit by now so I never actually forget.

I don't quite see the need for any mechanical aid.
Ron Pruter

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2022 11:17 am    

If you tune it 24 flat, it sure doesn't sound good when you add it to an AB chord to get an augmented chord.

Brussels, Belgium
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2022 3:38 pm    

Ian Rae wrote:

Right ! And the B to Bb lever really is a B to A# lever ! Also the E to Eb lever is an E to D# lever too.
John Sluszny

Brussels, Belgium
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2022 3:42 pm    

Ian Rae wrote:

Right ! And the B to Bb lever really is a B to A# lever !
Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2022 9:37 am    

I checked my Steel and I would say I tune strings 4-5 at 6AF, to match strings 5-6 at 10 AB.
When I play the string 4-5-6 10ABF augmented chord it sounds pretty good-and-tense and I think would be easily workable within a bands overall intonation (I don't usually use alot of augmented chords).
I use A+F and variations of A+F all the time, so I like those to sound good to me.
My other anchor notes for playing in bands are E's and B's at 442.
With AB down, my A notes are 440.