| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Emmons Book
Bruce Bouton

Nash. Tn USA
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2022 9:43 am    

Kudo’s to Steve Fishell for writing this book. I finally finished it last night. One of the highlights of reading it was being able to listen to almost all of the referenced songs on Amazon music.
Buddy’s genius was unsurpassed in my opinion and I always wondered about the paths that he took along the way.
Steve did a fantastic job of giving us a glimpse of Buddy’s incredible life.
Just hearing about his practice routines and his obsession with learning was worth the price of admission.
I’d hope that everyone buys the book . I know this was a labor of love for Steve and it was not an easy task.

Thank you Fish ! Made my week!

Post  Posted 21 Aug 2022 12:10 pm    

Hi Bruce,

I'm humbled by your words my friend. Thank you.

As somebody said in an earlier thread, the book is more like a scrapbook or a mosaic and not meant to be comprehensive. There were so many different directions I could’ve taken, but in the end I had to either reel it in or never finish. There’s a lot I left on the table, many other interviews I wish I had conducted, and so many questions I wanted to ask others -- and especially Buddy himself -- but in the end it was time to get his story out there.

I hope I've done justice to his legacy for the steel guitar community. Also, I hope the general public learns a LOT more about our instrument while they get to know this influential genius who played such a towering role in developing the sound of the modern pedal steel guitar.

Thanks again, Bruce!

PS: Forgive me for mentioning a bit of good news for Forum members. The publisher the University of Illinois Press will post a complimentary chapter exclusively on the Steel Guitar Forum on the book's release date, September 6th.
tom anderson

leawood, ks., usa
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2022 4:47 am    

I’ve been taking my time with reading this nd also love the notes of suggested songs.
Here’s a playlist on Spotify I’m compiling as I get thru the book. Spotify doesn’t have everything, but there are a lot of great recordings here. More or less in order as the book goes. I’ll add to it as I finish the book
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4TrzVuzwO1NQeDbLoMTBMb?si=K5_tB7u-RIOPSItOCgfoZw&pt=415fd15713618e48d4f6b00a016f200b
It’s title is the same as the book if the link expires.
Fish

Post  Posted 22 Aug 2022 5:24 am    

Hey Tom-

I LOVE your Spotify playlist and have added it to my own.

Here's the version of Spade Cooley's "Yearning" that Buddy describes in Chapter three (I can't find it on Spotify...maybe someone will). I played it to Buddy over the phone during a recorded interview, and he lit up like a Christmas tree when he heard Joaquin Murphey's playing.

Skip ahead to song number four: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW3NvFwIaw0
Joe Krumel

Hermitage, Tn.
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2022 5:33 am    

Good grief that J M solo is Unbelievable!!!!!
Jack Stanton

Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2022 10:46 am    

Wow I here a lot of phrases Buddy would quote from time to time. Great stuff
Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2022 10:46 am    

Are some getting advance copies?

It's not being sold until Sept 6 from what I've seen...

???
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional
tom anderson

leawood, ks., usa
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2022 11:09 am     Advance copy

Mine arrived in the mail last week. I thought that was early. I got the expensive one- not the paperback. It’s kind of like fiberboard with the “blade” picture on the cover. Not what I was expecting, but nice and durable.
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2022 12:15 pm    

I got mine a couple of days ago. Very Happy
Erv
Fish

Post  Posted 25 Aug 2022 12:54 pm    

Hi Jim,

I’m sorry for the shipping inconsistencies. I’m learning that the book business is much different from the recording industry in terms of “release dates.”

From what I understand: if you ordered the book directly from the University of Illinois Press website, it will ship as soon as possible, meaning within a few days. But if you ordered from Amazon, I suspect Amazon will not ship to you until after September 6, which is the official release date.

Of course, I have zero control over this situation, but I wanted to pass along what I’ve learned.
Guy Cundell

More idle ramblings from South Australia
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2022 1:49 pm    

My copy is being delivered here in South Australia next week but I am very sorry that Spotify has become the default platform for streaming. Tidal is just as good, with an even bigger library but pays the artists three times as much per stream. I will make a similar Tidal playlist and post it on the forum when I get my copy.
Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2022 1:53 pm    

I received my paperback copy from the Illinois Press about two weeks ago, and just finished reading it for the second time. Fascinating, and worth exponentially more than its price. A crowning achievement.
Fish

Post  Posted 25 Aug 2022 2:55 pm    

Thank you, Jack. I’m really humbled by your generous words, and by the many positive responses to the book here on the Forum.
Ron Funk

Ballwin, Missouri
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2022 7:13 pm    

Steve Fishell:

'Just letting you know I recently received my hard copy and am most impressed by your diligence in compiling and documenting all of the great historical info related to our mutual Pedal Steel Guitar hero.

Your writing style paints a wonderful picture for us All to treasure....forever!

Best regards Fish -

Ron Funk
Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2022 3:08 am    

Got mine too last week, Thanks Steve, I am reading a few paes a night to savor it and will definately re-read again, since there is so much interesting info in the book.

I was lucky to meet Buddy once after a show in Atlantic City with a small group of guys and shared a few glasses of Lemonade with him. I wish I knew the info on him back then that Steve has provided!

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days
Roy Carroll

North of a Round Rock
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2022 5:26 am    

I ordered mine on Amazon, looks like it is delayed until Sept.8 Cant wait to read it! Thanks, Fish

leawood, ks., usa
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2022 5:52 am     Emmons recording with the Everly’s brothers

On a slightly different note, if I remember from my reading Buddy refers twice in the book to not having recorded with the Everly’s brothers until helped Don and Phil in there solo projects after they broke up but I show he was on “Stories we could tell” (Green River and I wish someone would utube how to play that intro) in 1972. Maybe Steve could elucidate or or correct me if I mis-read. Thanks
Fish

Post  Posted 26 Aug 2022 6:50 am    

Good catch Tom!

“Come on down! You’ve just won an Amana freezer!!“

But seriously, good catch indeed. This is one of those rare moments when Buddy misspoke, and I should have had his back. He most definitely did play with Everly Brothers in LA on “Green River.” It’s possible that this was an overdub but that’s unlikely because of the echoplex usage.

Don’t miss Ry Cooder’s fiery electric guitar playing on this track!

This is a perfect example of something I wish I could have asked Buddy about. But in the end, this was also an editing slip on my part.

Tom, you get an A+ for reading the assignment!
Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2022 7:06 am     Re: Emmons recording with the Everly’s brothers

tom anderson wrote:
On a slightly different note, if I remember from my reading Buddy refers twice in the book to not having recorded with the Everly’s brothers until helped Don and Phil in there solo projects after they broke up but I show he was on “Stories we could tell” (Green River and I wish someone would utube how to play that intro) in 1972. Maybe Steve could elucidate or or correct me if I mis-read. Thanks

at least there is tablature, thanks to Frank Freniere.
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=318915&highlight=green+river

Mohawk River Valley, Upstate NY
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2022 8:29 am    

Hey Fish:

Just received my copy of the book yesterday. It's hard to put it down and stop reading, that's for sure !!

I have to echo all the positive comments regarding this book and your extreme efforts in putting it together. It's wonderful and I think Buddy would be pleased. Thank you so much man..!!

In looking at the photos, I see an Evans Hybrid 300 behind Buddy in one of the shots taken at the studio from the first "Flying Fish" album he cut in '75 along with a rosewood, D-10 Bolt-on in the foreground. I'd always wondered what amps he used when he returned from L.A. before he went to the Session 400. Apparently, he also did some tracks with the bolt-on on that album as well. Gotta go back and listen again now.

You've done well with this project Steve. It's blatantly obvious that it's been a labor of love for you.

Hope you're well man !!

Chris "Tiny" O.

Last edited by Tiny Olson on 1 Sep 2022 5:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2022 5:20 pm    

Got my copy yesterday and finished it today. Super job, Fish. It was total immersion reading.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Fish

Post  Posted 4 Sep 2022 3:38 pm    

Mr. Olson!

I don't believe our paths have crossed since last century! It's so great to hear from you. I really appreciate your very generous comments about Buddy's book. At times, I would panic when I realized the magnitude of the responsibility I had taken on; reading comments like yours from someone as talented as you makes me feel as though -- as Buddy would have said -- "something good may have just happened."

And Herb! "Total immersion reading" coming from you is deeply humbling, pal. Thank you.

And thanks to everyone for supporting the book.

Please forgive my lack of humility...I hope you'll let me slide. As of 9/4 on Labor Day Weekend, based on pre-orders alone, the book is at #2 in "Country Kindle Sales." Buddy would laugh out loud, I do believe. And check out the "Jazz" Kindle list today...yikes!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/new-releases/digital-text/156333011/ref=zg_bsnr_nav_digital-text_5_156322011
Tom Campbell

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2022 3:58 pm    

Just ordered the elecronic edition from Amazon. It will be delivered on my "Kindle" reader on Sept. 6.
Just a heads-up for anyone interested in a electronic version.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2022 2:02 pm    

Just received the book from Amazon.
I just glanced through it but will start reading it from the first page to the end.

Thank you Steve for a great and what appears to be a thorough biography and tribute to the Big E.
Roy Carroll

North of a Round Rock
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2022 4:40 am    

Got my book yesterday! Thumbed through it! Looks FANTASTIC! Can't wait to get started. Thanks Steve, I know a lot of work went into it.
The steel guitar community owes you a lot!
Folks, if you have not ordered one, just do it! It has all kinds of information in it!
As they say in the market, Buy, Buy, Buy!