| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  All you Nashville 400 players, looking for ideas.
Johnny Baker

Southport, Fla
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2023 9:07 pm    

Any ideas on why they might cut out on you, intermittently? It doesn't happen when I first turn it on but after it's been on for about 1 minute or 2 BUT, sometimes it will only begin to do it when I increase my volume pedal, as well. I have checked all my cords, my steel, and both my pedals for loose or frayed wiring, loose or worn out jacks & plug-ins, and found nothing there. So not being an electronics GURU, I also plugged in my Nashville 1000, that I was given in 2018 and been a closet queen, worked so I have to assume it's the amp. Just looking for somethings to check before sending it to the repair shop. Thanks.

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2023 3:09 am    

There are several potential areas but considering the age of this model amp I'm leaning towards a power supply problem and likely filter capacitors.

Time for a trip to the repair shop.
Eric OHara

Port Kent, NY
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2023 6:47 am    

Hi Johnny, there is a common issue with NV400’s that shows up with respect to the jacks in the back of the amp. Over time the terminals in these jacks corrode or the contacts aren’t solid. One thing worth a try is to put a jumper cable (like a short effects pedal cable) from the Pre Amp Out to the Power Amp In on the back of the amp. My amp has this issue and I just leave the cable there and the amp works fine. I have not researched if there are jack replacements available. There may be. Might be worth a try. Or as Irv noted it’s off to the shop. Best of luck. EO

Beard Decophonic 57/ Fishman JD preamp
Goodrich 6122-R
Walrus Slotva Reverb, JHS Thunderbolt, ZVEX fuzz factory
Evans JE-200, RE-150
Peavey Nashville 112, 400
Keal Cases
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2023 9:33 am    

The first thing to do is to find out if the problem is due to a component failing, or a bad connection. Easiest way to do that is to have the amp and pedal at normal playing volume, and strum a chord on the guitar. Then quickly take your hand and strike the top of amp very hard. Any electrical noise or drop-out in the signal means a bad connection...somewhere. Most times, it's nothing more than a dirty Molex connector or cold solder joint.
Jim Kennedy

Brentwood California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2023 9:33 am    

If the jacks on NV 400's have the ground tab like old Fender amps, a piece of paper run between the tabs will clean those contacts, letting them make a good connection. Just warming an amp up and playing at louder volumes can also bring on intermittent problems. Heat and vibration can impact bad solder joints, cracks in circuit boards, marginal components, and physical connections. There are also plenty of threads here about the molex connectors in older Peavey amps causing problems. It may be time for some extended maintenance, especially power supply capacitors, if they are more than 15 to 20 years old.

Southport, Fla
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2023 11:31 am    

Thanks guys. I will look into all of this before I decide to take it to the repair shop. I have taken it all the way down to just a straight but good cord, connected to my guitar and after it gets to what I'd call, Operating Temps, it starts cutting out and the longer I try to play it, gets worse. I have taken and bumped it on the top, when it was doing that but it did no good as it didn't stop cutting out and didn't come back on when it was off.

Since I live in Panama City, Fl and there really isn't much here, any good repairmen I could send it to, that you guys would recommend? I know that Mr. Fox, my first choice, is extremely busy and very back logged but then again, I am in no rush as my NV 1000 is working just fine.

Thanks again

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2023 2:00 pm    

Based on reported symptom, power supply would still be my #1 suspect. If I were still doing amp repair that is where I'd start.

Bad jacks or Molex connectors are common problems, but not the reported problem.
Johnny Baker

Southport, Fla
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2023 3:50 pm    

Since I've got nothing to really loose with it, I might just pull the electronics & checkout the power supply just order one to replace it. Thanks again.

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2023 3:04 am    

The power supply is not a separate replaceable module. Your idea won't work.
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2023 5:26 am    

Johnny Baker wrote:
Thanks guys. I will look into all of this before I decide to take it to the repair shop. I have taken it all the way down to just a straight but good cord, connected to my guitar and after it gets to what I'd call, Operating Temps, it starts cutting out and the longer I try to play it, gets worse. I have taken and bumped it on the top, when it was doing that but it did no good as it didn't stop cutting out and didn't come back on when it was off.

Since I live in Panama City, Fl and there really isn't much here, any good repairmen I could send it to, that you guys would recommend? I know that Mr. Fox, my first choice, is extremely busy and very back logged but then again, I am in no rush as my NV 1000 is working just fine.

Thanks again

Is Ken repairing amps again? On his home page, he etates that as of Dec 2012, he no longer repairs or builds amps. I also seem to remember a post some time ago stating that he was no longer repairing solid state amps.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2023 10:09 am    

Only taking walk-in repairs. Very selective on what I work on now days
Too much freight damage and even lost amps. Fed up with shipping companies

Last edited by Ken Fox on 5 Mar 2023 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 5 Mar 2023 10:11 am    

Hey Ken... A quick question. I sent my NV400 chassis to you years ago for the Intense Mod. A bunch of parts were replaced. Were any of those the filter caps?
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2023 11:05 am    

Yes. They were
Johnny Baker

Southport, Fla
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2023 12:25 pm    

Worth the shot. Thanks.

Post  Posted 5 Mar 2023 3:09 pm    

Ken Fox wrote:
Yes. They were

Thank you.