| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Offering a balanced output to Hilton Volume Pedals.
Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2022 11:15 am    

I am going to start offering a balanced output-differential signaling- on my pedals as extra add on feature. Hilton electronics has always been the first to bring new ideas to volume pedals. For those of you who don't understand what a balanced signal is: A balanced signal, sometimes called a differential signal, is two sine waves with reverse polarity, with a ground. A balanced signal can be sent through a XLR cable, or TRS-tip-ring-sleeve 1/4 cable. Cables can be bought where one end is TRS and the other end XLR.
Balanced signals is what the phone company and computer digital circuits use to eliminate noise. In the guitar world the vast majority of audio connections are unbalanced 1/4 inch connections with TS-Tip-sleeve. One sine wave with a ground. The advantage of differential signaling, hence balanced lines, as compared to unbalanced lines is noise reduction.
True balanced interfaces have a sending module and receiving module. Hilton pedals will only use the sending module and it will be a TRS connection. This will make it convenient for people wanting to run directly to an audio board, or audio interface that has differential/balanced signaling.
Of course there is the problem of many audio boards having 48 volt phantom power. In systems with phantom power that can feed back, I will offer a protection add on.
For the balanced signal sending unit to work---your board, audio interface, or other device must have industry standard pins.
The TRS on the Hilton pedal will have: Tip positive sine wave going to pin 2 on the XLR. Ring negative sine wave going to pin 3 on the XLR, and sleeve pin 1 one the XLR going to ground.
What this means is your Hilton pedal can have two kinds of connections if desired. A standard 1/4 unbalanced output connection, and a balanced output connection. I am going to offer the optional connection on new pedals for $65.00. I will offer to refit non new pedals for $65.00, plus a return shipping fee of $18.00.
I might mention that I will also offer a differential/balanced input to Hilton pedals, in addition to the differential/ balanced output if anyone might want that unusual combination.
To make this very clear, differential signaling/balanced lines can not be accomplished with simple arrangements of connecting wires. A sending unit electronic module is built in, and a receiving unit electronic module is built in. Much, much more than arranging wires!
John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2023 2:51 pm    

Very innovative, Keith, atta boy!
Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2023 11:56 pm    

A balanced output could be very useful to avoid a separate DI box. I would make phantom blocking standard as so much equipment delivers 48V by default these days. I would also supply a TRS-XLRM cable to ensure that no-one defeats the object by using the wrong one!

A balanced input is less obvious, and I'll be interested to learn what use people find for it.

Good to see Keith looking to improve what is already a superb product.